Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

OK, so -
    In my quest to find the perfect motorcycle speaker, I came across these.

I have spent a small fortune in my lifetime in loudspeakers and amps, with my favorite brand being Polk Audio, until today.

I wouldn't post this unless I was so impressed with both the sound quality with the OEM amp and how they perform with my aftermarket amp.

This speaker out performs oem speakers hands down with the oem amp and does an even better job with an aftermarket amp.

It's a 3 way speaker, meaning excellent base, mid range and tweeter highs.

It takes a meager 60 watts RMS to bring it alive.

I've never believed a 3 way loud speaker could sound better and louder, than a coaxial or 2 way speaker, but this speaker kicks, in all categories.

Another cool point is that it's a 6.5" speaker that requires no trimming to make fit. They take a bit of hand persuasion to bend the basket, but go in, in about 10 minutes.

They are also a 2 ohm speaker, which better matches our OEM amp resistance.

Did I say it rocks.. Again, I've always been a Polk fan for loud speakers, but this guy is definately a rival.

And finally, the price point of this quality speaker is ridiculous.. Amazon.

For those of you looking for the perfect oem up grade with no new amp, I highly recommend these.... after going around the block several times..

Wait..wait for it. I'm sure no sponsor offer these, but I had to share them with you all.
    Attachment 19232

Attachment 19233
    Attachment 19234

JBL Audio GTO Series 638

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

sure would like to hear them as the price is super okay
    http://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inc.../dp/B003KN2TF8

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    OK, so -
    In my quest to find the perfect motorcycle speaker, I came across these.

I have spent a small fortune in my lifetime in loudspeakers and amps, with my favorite brand being Polk Audio, until today.

I wouldn't post this unless I was so impressed with both the sound quality with the OEM amp and how they perform with my aftermarket amp.

This speaker out performs oem speakers hands down with the oem amp and does an even better job with an aftermarket amp.

It's a 3 way speaker, meaning excellent base, mid range and tweeter highs.

It takes a meager 60 watts RMS to bring it alive.

I've never believed a 3 way loud speaker could sound better and louder, than a coaxial or 2 way speaker, but this speaker kicks, in all categories.

Another cool point is that it's a 6.5" speaker that requires no trimming to make fit. They take a bit of hand persuasion to bend the basket, but go in, in about 10 minutes.

They are also a 2 ohm speaker, which better matches our OEM amp resistance.

Did I say it rocks.. Again, I've always been a Polk fan for loud speakers, but this guy is definately a rival.

And finally, the price point of this quality speaker is ridiculous.. Amazon.

For those of you looking for the perfect oem up grade with no new amp, I highly recommend these.... after going around the block several times..

Wait..wait for it. I'm sure none of our site sponsor"s offer these, but I had to share them with you all.
    Attachment 19232

Attachment 19233
    Attachment 19234

JBL Audio GTO Series 638

Jim

I have some video - audio, I will try to post.
    They sound great .

Max volume on the oem amp sound great; clear, loud an no distortion.
    With my Polk amp, they rock the neighborhood.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Looking forward to hearing them in person

With my stock set up, Chuck's J&M set up and now your JBL set up we should be able to do a nice comparison

I'll bring the db meter, sound quality will be subjective but we could do a blind sound test

Jbl speakers

I love jbl and bought some for my bike to but I haven't had time to install them, so I look forward to your thread as do a lot of other people ..

Awesome find. How did you get the magnet to fit on the back side? Did you have to shave that plastic area where the crossbar is on both sides ? I tried to find a 6in speaker on Saturday to replace mine but noticed the magnet butts right up against the plastic liner and won't take a set of Alpine SDS610s. The magnet is about the same size as what those JBLs look to have.

Looks great...can't wait to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Awesome find. How did you get the magnet to fit on the back side? Did you have to shave that plastic area where the crossbar is on both sides ? I tried to find a 6in speaker on Saturday to replace mine but noticed the magnet butts right up against the plastic liner and won't take a set of Alpine SDS610s. The magnet is about the same size as what those JBLs look to have.

Looks great...can't wait to hear them.
    Patch -

Ancient Chinese secret. .. mount the speaker upside, down, so the voice coil is up and doesn't hit the cross bar you described.

No shaving, trimming, cutting, anything but a beverage, required.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Thanks for the info. I was out riding today and wished the whole time I had some better audio. I upgraded to J&M last year and still was not impressed. I'm ordering these now.

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post

With my stock set up, Chuck's J&M set up and now your JBL set up we should be able to do a nice comparison

I'll bring the db meter, sound quality will be subjective but we could do a blind sound test
    I'll see if I can pull Ray Charles in for a double blind test..
    Alright, maybe bad taste and not too funny.
    Bring your ear plugs, kleenex and wallet$$. J/K

I'm no sponsor and get nothing from these speaker companies but smiles per hour.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post

If this meetup happens could you A/B between OEM and JBL running off OEM amp using balance control and db meter?

I'm in if they're at least as loud as the OEM and extend the highs and lows.
    The damn OEM are crazy efficient and to my old ears don't sound horrible.
    Hard to get much more bass out of those little plastic cabinets, but I'll take it if JBL is offering.
    A little more sizzle and presence would be welcome also as since turning 50 I've noticed a lack of it in every speaker. Guessing the problem isn't the speakers.

Dirtstiff, thank you for your tireless quest for the ultimate replacement speaks!