Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 23
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thunder217 View Post
    Ok guys, I have followed this thread from the beginning and I guess I will have to crack the case and see for myself. I did purchase the JBL GX602 but from the post all of the cutting was done on the previous JBLs that we first started replacement with. Do we have to still cut the new GX620 the same way we cut the previous speakers or are there not fitment issues. Just checking. Going to crack the nut now. Let me know. Secondly is the thought to remove and or disconnect the tweeter. Does it go or does it stay or is this a preference.

Let me know. Thanks. Going to see for myself.
    Don't know about that speaker but I would think you would still need to cut some part of it off. I just unhooked the stock tweeters

Secondly is the thought to remove and or disconnect the tweeter. Does it go or does it stay or is this a preference.

As configured, the stock tweeters make negligible sound. Everyone should disconnect them, hide the wiring and never have to mess with them again.

Or add a 3.3uf capacitor to each of them and make them real tweeters.

And "no" it is not my lack of hearing (you know who you are).
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    As configured, the stock tweeters make negligible sound. Everyone should disconnect them, hide the wiring and never have to mess with them again.

Or add a 3.3uf capacitor to each of them and make them real tweeters.

And "no" it is not my lack of hearing (you know who you are).
    How would adding a cap make them a "real tweeter" ?

The cap and the tweeter speaker are in series. Stock uses a .68uf cap. That is about 24 ohms @ 10khz. The speaker is 4 ohms and 15 watts. That leaves about 1/7th of the voltage for the speaker (~1/50th of the power). Won't make much sound.

I dissected a boss speaker that I had blown up. As it turns out, it also uses a 3.3uf cap in it (just a coincidence). Both my modified stock tweeter and the boss tweeter sound the same when hooked to a stereo.

YMMV, but that is what I have found.

Someone else had tried the tweeter on its own and verified that it is pretty soundless.
    Albuquerque, NM

Un plug the oem tweeter, it now serves no purpose.
    And will just muddle the sound if mixed with both a coaxial and or a 3 way speaker as is the JBL.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Ok guys, I have followed this thread from the beginning and I guess I will have to crack the case and see for myself. I did purchase the JBL GX602 but from the post all of the cutting was done on the previous JBLs that we first started replacement with. Do we have to still cut the new GX620 the same way we cut the previous speakers or are there not fitment issues. Just checking. Going to crack the nut now. Let me know. Secondly is the thought to remove and or disconnect the tweeter. Does it go or does it stay or is this a preference.

I have the gx602s and cut it the same way as the older speakers. I used a set of pliers and bent the lip down in those 2 sections and cut them with some scissors strong enough to cut throught thin metal. It was pretty easy actually lol

Grant

20160317_202149.jpg

You will likely have to cut any 6.5 inch speaker somewhat, in the same approximate 930 and 230 positions to make fit.
    Don't cut any speaker or tweeter wires. Just tuck the tweeter wire in the fairing, leave the cap on the tweeter and hook up the oem speaker wires to your new speakers. The large spade is always positive.
    You may also have some trimming on the bottom of the speaker basket to allow the shelter to snap back on correctly. Not always required.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

ALL INSTALLED AND SOUND GREEEEEEAAAAAAT

Hey guys just got finished and sitting here in my drive way the JBL sound great. I did leave my tweeters installed and they sound great also. I think the JBLs sound much better than the stock speakers. The mod is worth it. I had to break off the edge of three corners on the shift side speaker and just two edges on the brake side. The Panel fits perfectly and the sound is way more than the stock speakers. I did also have to squeeze the female connectors to make them fit firmly. I will later this week disconnect the tweeters to see if it makes a difference of not. Thanks again for all of the forums help. This is worth the change.

Hey guys just got finished and sitting here in my drive way the JBL sound great. I did leave my tweeters installed and they sound great also. I think the JBLs sound much better than the stock speakers. The mod is worth it. I had to break off the edge of three corners on the shift side speaker and just two edges on the brake side. The Panel fits perfectly and the sound is way more than the stock speakers. I did also have to squeeze the female connectors to make them fit firmly. I will later this week disconnect the tweeters to see if it makes a difference of not. Thanks again for all of the forums help. This is worth the change.
    Glad you got it done brother!

Grant

Started in on this project tonight, got the left speaker cut to fit and tried a sound test using the 1/8" input in left pocket from iPhone out. Balance control is available in Accessibility options to A/B them, audio output set to Mono.
    They are certainly not more efficient than the stock speakers, but they do shine in the high end. If you need more treble these are a great fix. Hi-hat on Travelin' Man sounded like it was in the garage with me.
    I've tested the stock speakers against some 94db (rated) Cerwin-Vega XED62 and the stock were louder. Amazing.
    The JBL midrange didn't punch the way the stocks do. This is not necessarily a good thing for home speakers but it seems like the stocks are optimized for the cabinets and to be heard over riding noise.
    The JBLs would probably sound great in a system that had some larger speakers to help out with the bass, would likely sound great inside a vehicle.
    I used speaker sealing gasket when installing, so leakage wasn't a factor with the bass.
    For as loud as the stock "woofers" are, the tweeters don't seem to keep up. I'll be looking for and testing out a few, may have to get creative with installation.
    Since this isn't critical listening I'm not ruling out Piezo.

If any local riders want to buy my JBL GTO638s for $25 respond below and we'll meet up, don't want to mess with shipping. One is already trimmed to fit, I will make the cut suggested by WillTill() on the other speaker also so your instrument console cover fits, I'll let you trim the other 2 sections on the right speaker. I pitched the grills and box as soon as I got them, so grills and box not included.
    Would also trade 1:1 for a set of stock speakers.