Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 24
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Started in on this project tonight, got the left speaker cut to fit and tried a sound test using the 1/8" input in left pocket from iPhone out. Balance control is available in Accessibility options to A/B them, audio output set to Mono.
    They are certainly not more efficient than the stock speakers, but they do shine in the high end. If you need more treble these are a great fix. Hi-hat on Travelin' Man sounded like it was in the garage with me.
    I've tested the stock speakers against some 94db (rated) Cerwin-Vega XED62 and the stock were louder. Amazing.
    The JBL midrange didn't punch the way the stocks do. This is not necessarily a good thing for home speakers but it seems like the stocks are optimized for the cabinets and to be heard over riding noise.
    The JBLs would probably sound great in a system that had some larger speakers to help out with the bass, would likely sound great inside a vehicle.
    I used speaker sealing gasket when installing, so leakage wasn't a factor with the bass.
    For as loud as the stock "woofers" are, the tweeters don't seem to keep up. I'll be looking for and testing out a few, may have to get creative with installation.
    Since this isn't critical listening I'm not ruling out Piezo.

If any local riders want to buy my JBL GTO638s for $25 respond below and we'll meet up, don't want to mess with shipping. One is already trimmed to fit, I will make the cut suggested by WillTill() on the other speaker also so your instrument console cover fits, I'll let you trim the other 2 sections on the right speaker. I pitched the grills and box as soon as I got them, so grills and box not included.
    Would also trade 1:1 for a set of stock speakers.
    I thought I read somewhere that you have to have them both plugged in...

Quote Originally Posted by oiler View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you have to have them both plugged in...
    Using A/B and A+B comparisons helps overcome confirmation bias and our generally poor echoic memory when trying to remember a full spectrum of sounds in a musical performance.
    These speakers alone would sound fine, just not the sound I was hoping for.
    From what I've seen its gonna require going the JimmyT route to get noticeable gains. Thats more modification than I want to do so I'm gonna stick with stock. I really love the grip controls for volume and track selection and don't want to lose it.
    Upgraded tweeters and maybe a sub in the trunk might be the solution for me. YMMV.

I'd love to take this system out of my barn and put it on my bike, but I just don't see that happening...

Attachment 20351
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I'd love to take this system out of my barn and put it on my bike, but I just don't see that happening...

Attachment 20351
    Well that is just amazing lol

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Started in on this project tonight, got the left speaker cut to fit and tried a sound test using the 1/8" input in left pocket from iPhone out. Balance control is available in Accessibility options to A/B them, audio output set to Mono.
    They are certainly not more efficient than the stock speakers, but they do shine in the high end. If you need more treble these are a great fix. Hi-hat on Travelin' Man sounded like it was in the garage with me.
    I've tested the stock speakers against some 94db (rated) Cerwin-Vega XED62 and the stock were louder. Amazing.
    The JBL midrange didn't punch the way the stocks do. This is not necessarily a good thing for home speakers but it seems like the stocks are optimized for the cabinets and to be heard over riding noise.
    The JBLs would probably sound great in a system that had some larger speakers to help out with the bass, would likely sound great inside a vehicle.
    I used speaker sealing gasket when installing, so leakage wasn't a factor with the bass.
    For as loud as the stock "woofers" are, the tweeters don't seem to keep up. I'll be looking for and testing out a few, may have to get creative with installation.
    Since this isn't critical listening I'm not ruling out Piezo.

If any local riders want to buy my JBL GTO638s for $25 respond below and we'll meet up, don't want to mess with shipping. One is already trimmed to fit, I will make the cut suggested by WillTill() on the other speaker also so your instrument console cover fits, I'll let you trim the other 2 sections on the right speaker. I pitched the grills and box as soon as I got them, so grills and box not included.
    Would also trade 1:1 for a set of stock speakers.
    I agree with Mister B, after riding with these 638's for a few days now. I don't necessarily agree that theses are a upgrade to what the stock speakers are. I find myself running these at volume 24 instead of 16 as with the stock speakers. The 638's are by far clearer at higher volume, but they are not full range speakers. I will also be looking for replacements. I just wish Honda would make a upgraded plug and play system that could be changed out like Harleys have. My Electra Glide system would blow the F6B's system away. I have to do something, because I really like rocking when I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I agree with Mister B, after riding with these 638's for a few days now. I don't necessarily agree that theses are a upgrade to what the stock speakers are. I find myself running these at volume 24 instead of 16 as with the stock speakers. The 638's are by far clearer at higher volume, but they are not full range speakers. I will also be looking for replacements. I just wish Honda would make a upgraded plug and play system that could be changed out like Harleys have. My Electra Glide system would blow the F6B's system away. I have to do something, because I really like rocking when I ride.

Well, I guess I wasted $50..So has anyone tried installing a set of Biketronics Titan II's? The company makes/offers a good product and have used their components on harley's with great success (meaning, when paired with a quality amp, kick arse!). These speakers are 6.5" and are rated at 100w rms. I really believe we will be very hard pressed to get real volume and quality sound out of the stock amp and lower power rated speakers.

I think an amp replacement is necessary to get high quality sound, which I am willing to do, but with that a complete rewire is needed which I am not willing to do. Honda neededs to come up with a new sound harness,amp, and speakers as a package.

Just need to go all in.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Slammd View Post
    Well, I guess I wasted $50..So has anyone tried installing a set of Biketronics Titan II's? The company makes/offers a good product and have used their components on harley's with great success (meaning, when paired with a quality amp, kick arse!). These speakers are 6.5" and are rated at 100w rms. I really believe we will be very hard pressed to get real volume and quality sound out of the stock amp and lower power rated speakers.
    FWIW, I liked the sound of the GTO638's (tight seal and polyfill helped). They could take 100% of the OEM volume without distorting but I fried one with the aftermarket amp which lead to something that could handle more power. Actually, one of the GT0638's were suspect when I received it. It would exhibit a slight buzz at a specific frequency and the aftermarket amp most likely gave it a mercy killing.

I am considering the Titan II 7.1's BT474 for the back tour pack. The Titan II 6.5's BT477 would need tapered 12-14mm spacer rings (140.7mm diameter hole (F6B OEM holes are @ 130mm) and 68.8mm mounting depth (F6B OEM depth is @ 55mm)) from my calculations and may require milling the dash cover. It has been on my radar, but not until the rears are in. I was going to call Bill @ BT and ask him if he has a spent 6.5" carcass that I could experiment fitment with. I have found a vendor in Wisconsin that can make the custom spacer rings. He has multiple sizes of rings on EBay of which one set should work if it is tapered on the inside to makeup for the 11mm difference in hole sizes. The radius would have to shrink/grow 5.5mm over the 12-14mm height taper.

FWIW, I am using the Infinity Kappa 6.5's currently with the Biketronics BT4180 amp. The HD guys rate the Kappa's as good and the Titan II's as the next step up. They also like the ARC MOTO's (better bass, less clarity than the Titan II's) and Focal KRC's which are larger, more $$$ than the Titan II's and will most likely not fit the F6B.

The Titan II 6.5's are rebranded Hybrid Audio Technology (HAT) Imagine I61-2V2 with a lifetime Biketronics guarantee. Can't beat that.

The Titan II 7.1's are also HAT's specially made for Biketronics. They also have a 7.1 Pro set for some extra $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I think an amp replacement is necessary to get high quality sound, which I am willing to do, but with that a complete rewire is needed which I am not willing to do. Honda neededs to come up with a new sound harness,amp, and speakers as a package.
    Running the new larger gauge speaker wires is a piece of cake. Mustering up enough nerve to cut the OEM amp harness takes a little more effort.

Stock bolts

I see that the bolts used to hold the speakers are the stock black ones. If the speakers are a perfect fit, why did you use different bolts?