Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Ordered a pair yesterday even though my J&M set just came in last Friday, just burning threw that retarment money.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ordered a pair yesterday even though my J&M set just came in last Friday, just burning threw that retarment money.
    Would love to hear a comparison between the J&M and the JBL. My J&M are do in on Friday. Bought from Wingstuff - thought that I would throw them a plug !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    I am with Ken on this one. My bike tends to get wet at times. That is the only thing holding me back. I bought the J&M and are not especially thrilled. JBL has always impressed me. My son got a JBL surround system a few years ago, and I like it better than my Bose even though it was 25% of the price. JBL makes a good product. I just want to make sure of the application.
    It seems our experiences are similar. I also started with the previous model J&M...maybe slightly better than stock but NOT impressed.

Yeah, the whole water issue on these JBL's does concern me. If, in fact, the materials these speakers are constructed with had decent resistance to moisture, it seems JBL would have mentioned it. And, I don't think it would necessarily take a pressure washer to cause trouble. Most likely, the speakers will get wet from rain and regular washing. It might take some time but I have to wonder if the speakers will fail due to that. Still, the price is right on these speakers and, from what has been reported, they do sound much better than stock. Maybe it's worth the gamble .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It seems our experiences are similar. I also started with the previous model J&M...maybe slightly better than stock but NOT impressed.

Yeah, the whole water issue on these JBL's does concern me. If, in fact, the materials these speakers are constructed with had decent resistance to moisture, it seems JBL would have mentioned it. And, I don't think it would necessarily take a pressure washer to cause trouble. Most likely, the speakers will get wet from rain and regular washing. It might take some time but I have to wonder if the speakers will fail due to that. Still, the price is right on these speakers and, from what has been reported, they do sound much better than stock. Maybe it's worth the gamble .
    That's kind of what I was thinking and keep the J&M as backup. I also use Shure 535 ear buds with custom sleeves that I use for long trips. I can still hear around me but the music really comes alive!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inc..._1456768921062

Brian at Product Support - 877.289.7664

Confirms the new JBL GTO wI'll work with 4 ohm and 2 ohm
    Description
    Product Description
    GTO638 Hit the road with the big, rich, detailed sound that makes JBL® products famous. The GTO638 deploys the serious bass of a Plus One® woofer cone and an edge-driven My-Ti™ super tweeter that produces extended high frequencies, just as the best home audio speakers do. In the GTO638, you’ll find attention to detail rarely given to car audio. And it’s a game-changer. Select features to learn more: Patented Plus One® woofer cone Patented Plus One® woofer cone Our proprietary Plus One® woofer cone (patent number 7,548,631) is exceptionally stiff and lightweight and has up to 25 percent more active surface area than you’ll ever find on competing models of the same size. It delivers an audible increase in bass output and efficiency. Home theater-quality tweeter Home theater-quality tweeter The GTO683 has a high-bandwidth, edge-driven textile-dome tweeter with a large voice coil, just as high-end home audio loudspeakers do. The tweeter’s My-Ti™ (a proprietary Mylar®-titanium blend) alloy delivers great power handling, extended high frequencies and seamless integration with the woofer. True sound from built-in crossover network True sound from built-in crossover network By using a built-in crossover network with advanced high-pass and low-pass filters, the GTO638 creates a smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter. The result? Midrange vocals that sound so natural and lifelike, you’d think the vocalist was sitting in the passenger seat. Easy, patented Intermount III mounting system Easy, patented Intermount III mounting system The Intermount III (patent number 6,505,705) system makes installation easy. Using its JBL® installation rings (included), you can fit the GTO638 into factory-built installation locations varying from 6 to 6-3/4 inches. It even simplifies the replacing of aftermarket speakers. Can be safely driven by any head unit Can be safely driven by any head unit The GTO638 is compatible with aftermarket head units and factory-installed systems. Designed to replace factory-installed OEM (original-equipment manufacturer) speakers, the GTO638 is easily installed into nearly any factory-built 6-1/2-inch location – and doing it won’t require special tools or modifications. Genuine 4-ohm performance Genuine 4-ohm performance For the most powerful performance, the GTO638 makes the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load. It uses a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical speaker to extract the most power and performance possible from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less. Outstanding audio output Outstanding audio output This muscular speaker offers 180 watts of peak power. Hit the gas and have fun. What's in the box: View contents What's in the box • (2) GTO638 speakers• (2) Mounting brackets• (2) Grilles• (2) Buffer for mounting bracket/grille• (4) Sets of speaker wire• (16) Screws• (1) Owner's Manual Download: Manuals & More Manuals & More Owner's Manual English: 1850.95KB PDF Warranty English: 286.3KB PDF
    Amazon.com
    The 6.5-inch GTO638 is a perfect replacement for those factory speakers, delivering smooth, accurate audio thanks to technologies like JBL's Plus One woofer cone, edge-driven mylar-titanium tweeter and supertweeter, and a built-in crossover network.

The GTO tweeter is both strong and light weight
    while being adjustable

The Plus One woofer cone increases
    bass output and efficiency
    Why JBL Sound?
    For more than 60 years, JBL products have been bringing home the impact and excitement of the world's best recording studios, movie theaters and concert venues. Now, JBL engineers are creating these world-class listening experiences in the car. Thanks to advanced technology developed in the professional arena, JBL mobile products simply sound better than the competition. High output, superb bass response, long life and smooth response are all things you can expect from any speaker that wears the JBL badge. So join enthusiasts who know audio, and don't settle for anything but JBL in your vehicle. Bring the sound of the show on the road.

Listen Loud
    The last thing you want to worry about is the quality of your speakers. We understand. All new JBL mobile products have to go through nearly 500 hours of environmental testing. We put them under temperatures fluctuating between -35° C and +90° C with up to 90 percent air humidity for more than 200 hours. We expose speakers to UV light for more than 150 hours to simulate a mounting location on a car's rear deck. We even shake things up, as all of our new mobile audio products have to pass extensive vibration testing before we release them for production. We've made unparalleled efforts to ensure the best possible quality so that you can listen long and loud when you crank up a JBL speaker.

Edge-Driven, Mylar-Titanium Super Tweeter
    The JBL GTO638 uses a 1/2-inch (12-millimeter) Mylar-titanium (My-Ti) super tweeter with a large voice coil--much like a voice coil found in high-end home audio speakers. The benefit of the Mylar and titanium blend in making a tweeter is that it is lightweight and has remarkable strength. At the same time, its large voice coil increases power handling and reduces distortion at high output levels. This tweeter design also helps create more seamless integration with the woofer. The GTO638's tweeter is even adjustable, so you can modify it to optimize the sound. The result? Crystal-clear, extended high frequencies for true, high-end, audiophile-quality performance.

Edge-Driven, Mylar-Titanium Tweeter
    For extra smooth and detailed sound, the JBL GTO638 speakers use a one-inch (25-millimeter), Mylar-titanium (My-Ti). The addition of this dedicated driver allows the GTO638s to deliver rich sound through the midrange frequencies where most of the vocals in music can be found. This extra detail in the midrange, paired with the �super� tweeter and woofer, means that the GTO638ss deliver true, audiophile-quality performance worthy of even the best home speaker.

Look for the True 4 ohm logo for the best real world performance

Intermount III makes installation into any factory location simple
    Built-in Crossover Networks
    Typical entry level mobile loudspeakers use low performance bass blockers to keep bass from going to the tweeter. Well, the JBL GTO638 is not your typical entry-level loudspeaker. By using a built-in crossover network with advanced high and low pass filters, the GTO638 creates a smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter. The result? Midrange vocals that sound so natural and lifelike you think you the artist were right in the car with you.

Bass that Booms
    Plus One Cone
    The JBL GTO638 uses a 6-1/2-inch (160-millimeter) woofer with the patent-pending JBL Plus One cone technology. Plus One technology gives the GTO638 more cone surface than competing models of the same size--up to 30 percent more in many cases. With a larger cone area, the GTO638 speakers provide higher efficiency and better bass response. Add a low-Q woofer design for higher bass output from the typical mounting location and 180-watt peak power handling, and the GTO638 will really get your car booming.

Powerful Performance
    True 4-Ohm Topology
    Low-impedance speaker voice coils extract more power from your amp for more powerful performance than high-impedance coils do. JBL GTO638 speakers use a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical 4-ohm speaker to extract the most power possible from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less. And the GTO638's are compatible with both aftermarket head units and factory-installed systems. Since many factory-installed systems incorporate 2-ohm speakers and include amplifiers designed to drive 2-ohm loads, replacing those reduced-impedance speakers with a typical 4-ohm model will reduce the power output from the amplifier. For the most powerful performance, the GTO638's make the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load.

An Easy Install
    Intermount III (Patent Number 6,505,705) Mounting System
    Doing it yourself? Installing GTO638 speakers in nearly any factory-built location is a breeze. Designed as replacements for factory-installed OEM speakers, they easily install into nearly any factory-built 6-1/2-inch location without requiring any special tools or modifications. To make installation even easier, the GTO638s use JBL's patented Intermount III mounting system. Depending on the vehicle, the factory-built 6-1/2-inch location can actually vary in size from 6 inches all the way up to 6-3/4 inches, thanks to the GTO638's included installation rings. Even if you are upgrading an older set of aftermarket speakers, the GTO638 makes replacing them easy.

And with such easy installation, you'll be listening to your new JBL speakers in no time at all.

The JBL GTO638s deliver high output, superb bass response, long life and smooth response.
    Highlights
    Great JBL Sound Quality
    3-way design delivers true audiophile sound quality
    Plus One woofer cones for the high output and deep bass
    True 4-Ohm design pulls the most power out of your system
    Easy to install
    What's in the Box
    One pair of JBL GTO638 3-way loudspeakers, one set of installation hardware, one set of Intermount III rings

Now you all know what I know.. Use them on your system or bike at your own risk...

J
    My Disclaimer -
    I make no representation on behalf of JBL. This is my experience only. Your results may vary.
    I'm not responsible for problems encountered during installation or damage some will incur while trying to do this Speaker Modification.
    Install these at your own risk.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I can't speak for these JBL speakers, but really wouldn't be concerned with speakers if the materials used are water resistant. Having the cones made of polypropylene or Kevlar for instance and the surround being a rubber or silicone infused material. Really,any coaxial speaker, imho, whether marine rated or not, is susceptible to water intrusion . The speakers on our F6Bs are pretty well protected from direct water intrusion. Especially while riding. On my Valkyrie, I run 4) Kicker coaxial 5.25" speakers in the fairing that are not marine speakers and have never had an issue. Let me tell you I've been in some major downpours on that bike. I have 2) 6.5" Kicker Marine speakers mounted face up in the saddlebags lids of the Valkyrie. Those speakers have the tweeter bridge mounted so that the woofer is completely sealed. There is no post in the center typical of coaxial speakers. Even though the speakers face up, water never really has a chance to collect in the woofer before it is bounced out from the driver working in and out.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

JT--I do appreciate and value your perspective on this subject. One thing you mentioned that I had not considered is the vibrating speaker cone shedding water...kind of like a dog shaking the water off after a bath. So, unless you're leaving the bike out in the weather for an extended period of time, maybe the JBL's will hold up. For me, for now, I plan to keep using my Sena BT helmet speakers which makes upgrading the bikes speakers and amp less important.
    Ken (Hornblower)

FWIW, J&M states their speakers are "waterproof from the front" which means the backs are not and our fairings are not water tight as witnessed by the bug collections behind the speaker grills.

I would think as long as you are not exposing them to salt-water and they do not have paper cones, you should be fine. Also, for $50, you can buy 3 pairs for the price of one pair of J&M's.

As for the Ohm rating, I was under the impression our 4 Ohm speakers were run in parallel with the tweeters which brings the total load down towards 2 Ohms. If we disconnect the factory tweeter, aren't we running the same load ?

JT--I do appreciate and value your perspective on this subject. One thing you mentioned that I had not considered is the vibrating speaker cone shedding water...kind of like a dog shaking the water off after a bath. So, unless you're leaving the bike out in the weather for an extended period of time, maybe the JBL's will hold up. For me, for now, I plan to keep using my Sena BT helmet speakers which makes upgrading the bikes speakers and amp less important.
    Remember too, that the speakers I referred to about the water bouncing out are the Marine speakers that are mounted in my Valkyrie saddlebag lids face up. I really don't even think the speakers in the F6B will even see water under most conditions unless you are in the habit of pressure washing the dash of you F6B.

11896054_957468557628232_2692739715666445377_n.jpg
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

oem amp: 2 channel or 4 channel amp

So on the standard wing, obviously they have 4 speakers and probably a 4 channel oem amp. Do we have some same 4 channel amp as the stock wing or is it a different amp and only 2 channels. The reason why I am asking is Im thinking about adding 2 more speakers and speaker pods to my tour pak. Wondering if I can use the stock amp or I need to purchase another one.

Grant