Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Per my post above:
    I doubt you can tell any difference whether you have the stock tweeters plugged in or not.

The advantage of not plugging them in is not having to disconnect them when you remove the shelter.

For sh!ts & grins, when you have your speakers out during the replacement process, plug in at least one tweeter (no speaker), turn on your radio and "see" what you hear. I'd like to know if you have the same observations that I did (almost nothing).
    I took off the meter panel and speakers during my lunch break and was curious so I hooked up just the tweeters and you are right, they plan suck. Can not really hear anything at full volume and what you do hear is distorted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

After that endorsement, I had to order them. $58 delivered, can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    After that endorsement, I had to order them. $58 delivered, can't beat that!
    I also ordered a set of JBL's... I am intrigued

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I also ordered a set of JBL's... I am intrigued
    Same here. Should come sometime next week.

Oh what the heck, I ordered a set too
    Ken (Hornblower)

This is my story. It began on a dark and stormy night....

Was able to install the speakers today and they sound really good. They are just as good if not better than the Polk DB651's. That's just my opinion and they can definitely vary. As said before, you have to install them upside down so that it can fit in the hole and even then it is an extremely tight fit. Once I was able to get the speaker almost in, I had to use a flat head screw driver and hammer to move the speaker and align it with the holes. It will fit, just be patient and take your time. The speaker does push against the clear plastic cover right next to it and it might help if you can pre-bend or even slightly cut the outer metal ring some. I have posted a pic of each speaker to show how tight it is.

Attachment 19407Attachment 19408

Hope this helps and enjoy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post

Was able to install the speakers today and they sound really good. They are just as good if not better than the Polk DB651's. That's just my opinion and they can definitely vary. As said before, you have to install them upside down so that it can fit in the hole and even then it is an extremely tight fit. Once I was able to get the speaker almost in, I had to use a flat head screw driver and hammer to move the speaker and align it with the holes. It will fit, just be patient and take your time. The speaker does push against the clear plastic cover right next to it and it might help if you can pre-bend or even slightly cut the outer metal ring some. I have posted a pic of each speaker to show how tight it is.

Attachment 19407Attachment 19408

Those tips definitely will help us with the install. Thanks!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Thanks for the post. Did you measure their impedance before installing ?

Also, which amp are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Thanks for the post. Did you measure their impedance before installing ?

Also, which amp are you using ?
    No, I did not measure and I'm using the stock amp. I can take it all the way up to 30 but that is too loud. I'll be surprised if it ever goes over 20.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

I took off the meter panel and speakers during my lunch break and was curious so I hooked up just the tweeters and you are right, they plan suck. Can not really hear anything at full volume and what you do hear is distorted.

If the speakers were disconnected with just the tweeter connected, you don't have a complete electrical audio circuit. The results you received would be expected.

Glad you like the JBL

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe