Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts

Would need to modify the bottom end but overall it looks better than I thought it would.

I'm sure there are a few members here who would use some of that extra space for a subwoofer enclosure.
    Even running off the unused channels of the OEM amp some additional low end would help round out the factory sound.
    Looks great so far, Patch!

I absolutely love it! If there was enough interest, I'd talk with some of my mfg friends and bring it to market. SERIOUSLY cool, looks totally factory. Making it swivel from "down" to "up" with locking, rotating arms would seal the deal (quick conversion from solo to 2 up).

So I've started working on the model last night beginning with a quick CAD sketch for size, along with getting the skeleton together to apply the clay. The interior room is larger than I initially estimated. Once I have the clay model done, I'll post an update. A couple of things I noticed almost right away in building the skeleton...this WILL allow for aftermarket speakers without detracting too much from the storage area if kept to 6x9 and smaller.
    The front portion (where the backrest is) along with about 1/6th of the length could be built to handle a set of modified backrest sections. One for speakers, one for pure storage, potentially configured backrest areas for different seat styles...like the Mustang, Russell, Ultimate, Stock, Corbin, etc... I'll know more once I get to the point of setting an interior frame up. I'm hoping I can debut a functional /near production ready proto at the rally.

I am following this topic with interest. Good doing, Patch!
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

Total interior space available, based on CAD work is presently 103.788 liters, or 3.665 cubic ft. I'm having a prototype printed out (3D using ABS) to gauge what this looks like on the bike. If it's too tall, I may need to flatten it a little and that will drop it into the 80 or 90 liter range. Hopefully it's accurate though.

This Rightline 63L gear bag fits in the cardboard mockup, with plenty of room for other stuff. A hardcase pack this size would not though, because of the depth. Still, getting a bag in there with clothing looks good so far.

Attachment 19401

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Wanted to get some opinions or ideas on plans I'm working up for a solo riders trunk that would leave all the stock items in place but allow one to put a decent sized duffle of clothing in a lockable trunk (like the panniers) and give a decently high backrest for the rider. I did some quick concept art using photos of the F6B I found. I reckon it would be approx. 50L or larger, could easily store 2 full sized helmets if needed, or a weekend duffle (enough clothing for two or three days, with toiletries bag and a little space left over. I'm thinking about doing a model in clay, molding it up, then building it from fiberglass and padding the interior with thick fabric.

I've looked at the Corbin Smuggler for a bit, but it's too shallow to really be handy. While I don't mind going with a bag and roll strapped to the rack, the goal would be to put something together with a little more weather-friendly capability while using similar lines. It would be able to be unbolted rather quickly to convert back to the standard F6B daily use setup or once a cruise destination was reached, left in the room or maybe the campsite locked up.

I like the look. quick detach feature would really be cool too.

You have my attention.

Concept Update 3/9/2016

Image here is a very early 3D rendering of the CAD work.

A little bit about what you see below in the image below... Upper image shows an area circled in red. This would be the "speaker package" front assembly (center panel is shown with an 8in woofer inserted) where you have a mid-carrier which could be cut any way you want to add up to two eight inch subwoofers side by side, along with an amp and possibly some 3x5s or 6x9's depending on how you fit things. The carrier, center panel and backrest panel locking together with a lip and sealed (seal mechanism is still being worked on).

The orange outline on the upper image is the trunk lid when the back, mid carrier, panel and backrest are all locked together.

The bottom image with the yellow circle shows an open mid carrier for full storage capacity. Note that the backrest panels on the back side are shelled so that they also allow for storage space should the center panel not be used.

The backrest panels shown are three varieties...mustang panel (lower section cut out for mustangs backpad), the standard panel (cut for stock seat), and customizers panel (slightly shorter but could be fitted with anything the owner wants....speaker grille, custom backpad, etc...

Still no idea on cost yet, but that will be coming once I finish final drawings and work out the material details. Right now I'm leaning toward a thick ABS injection molded set, rubber seals and an interlock system that could be exchange-able so an owner could swap configurations around based on need, or one could get only what you wanted by picking the mid carrier-panel(s) desired. The reason I'm leaning this way is to make it easy to apply a color matched paint, or supply an unpainted option so those with custom paint could match to the bike if desired.

While fiberglass is nice, the prep work involved to produce a nice finish is generally tedious and would likely drive the cost too high unless it was sold as a DIY build kit.

There is A LOT more to be done on the drawings, such as internal mechanics, locks, plates, light assembly, rear panel, and how it will be attached to the bike carrier deck or carrier...probably wont get to a final until after the big trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Image here is a very early 3D rendering of the CAD work.

WOW...JUST WOW!

That is a serious undertaking. Can't wait to see the final product!

I also love that you are making different versions for different seats, I have a Mustang seat (that I really like).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden