Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Solo Travellers Trunk - Concept / Thoughts

Foam and Clay begins this weekend

Well, I finally have a weekend free from everything and started the foam cutting and gluing. While it's out there setting up for further shaving, I shot a few pics of a draft concept. Once it's in clay I'll be building it in fiberglass. With my CAD skills I can eye it all day long but I really need to see what it's gonna look like, then enter the measurements to my drawings to get this going. May be overthinking things a bit, but I want to spend time with the modular details and figure out what the mount system is going to look like, how the speaker kit will work, and how I'm going to get the lighting set up.

Anyway...just a teaser while I wait for the glue to dry, then I'll be spending the next 22 or so hours working on the clay...and over course, more to come as it progresses. Bear in mind, this is the initial rough cut...there is alot of cutting and sanding to go before I can even start to apply the clay.

Attachment 19791

Solo travelers trunk

I am really impressed with what you have done with this project. I would definitely be a buyer for this if you bring it to market. Please keep me informed on progress

Thanks

Really like the looks of everything!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

The perfect thing for me and my wife. I always have to bolt the back rest for her. Riding without her the back rest just looks ugly on the bike. That thing would be perfect
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

Excellent work there Patch! Anxiously waiting for the product to be ready for PRIME TIME.
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

2013 F6B in black of course

Patch,

Congrats on the great work!!! I love the idea of a locking top case made just for the F6B with rear speaker options (which is what I need at the moment). Is there still going to be a solo seat backrest version? Will it be quick release detachable (I know that is a big concern for a lot of F6B owners since we bought the GoldWing without the tour pack.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kurare79 View Post
    The perfect thing for me and my wife. I always have to bolt the back rest for her. Riding without her the back rest just looks ugly on the bike. That thing would be perfect
    +1!!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Wanted to get some opinions or ideas on plans I'm working up for a solo riders trunk that would leave all the stock items in place but allow one to put a decent sized duffle of clothing in a lockable trunk (like the panniers) and give a decently high backrest for the rider. I did some quick concept art using photos of the F6B I found. I reckon it would be approx. 50L or larger, could easily store 2 full sized helmets if needed, or a weekend duffle (enough clothing for two or three days, with toiletries bag and a little space left over. I'm thinking about doing a model in clay, molding it up, then building it from fiberglass and padding the interior with thick fabric.

I've looked at the Corbin Smuggler for a bit, but it's too shallow to really be handy. While I don't mind going with a bag and roll strapped to the rack, the goal would be to put something together with a little more weather-friendly capability while using similar lines. It would be able to be unbolted rather quickly to convert back to the standard F6B daily use setup or once a cruise destination was reached, left in the room or maybe the campsite locked up.

Looks sharp.

Patch, I really like how you have incorporated the bikes original back deck lines in picture 1 top box. Nice work, looks factory. Maybe Honda's interested as well?