Mounting From the Rear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting From the Rear

Mounting From the Rear

Hi,

Strongly considering going dark with the G-Max AS-03 195/55R16 mounted to my spare rear wheel. I've read most of the dark side threads but haven't got a clear answer on the ease of mounting from the rear. Due to age and physical limitations (degenerative spinal disease) I can't chance laying the bike down on the crash bars to remove/install the wheel and much prefer to go in from the rear, which is not a problem with the OEM MT tire and no lifting required.

So the question is . . will the G-Max go in from the rear with sufficient clearance without removing anything other than the fenders, etc., same as the OEM MT tire remove/install procedure or is it simply to wide?

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Hi,

Strongly considering going dark with the G-Max AS-03 195/55R16 mounted to my spare rear wheel. I've read most of the dark side threads but haven't got a clear answer on the ease of mounting from the rear. Due to age and physical limitations (degenerative spinal disease) I can't chance laying the bike down on the crash bars to remove/install the wheel and much prefer to go in from the rear, which is not a problem with the OEM MT tire and no lifting required.

So the question is . . will the G-Max go in from the rear with sufficient clearance without removing anything other than the fenders, etc., same as the OEM MT tire remove/install procedure or is it simply to wide?
    Deflate the Max before trying to slip it into place. Use a pie tin to cover the wheel studs which will relieve any friction from sidewall/stud contact

Damn, thread isn't about what I thought it would be but then again I'm getting old and just got up from a nappie.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Deflate the Max before trying to slip it into place. Use a pie tin to cover the wheel studs which will relieve any friction from sidewall/stud contact
    Thanks, I read the pie tin trick on a previous thread but also remember someone saying it's a real squeeze or something to get the tire in. I guess I'll just have to find out the hard way.

shooter
    I've read all these things about getting the tire in. I've had mine in and out 4 times with both the G Max and the Alpin. I air it up , put a little dish soap on the side wall. I tape my chrome rim. It goes right in.

Thanks Shooter, that's good news. I'm going to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Damn, thread isn't about what I thought it would be but then again I'm getting old and just got up from a nappie.

Too Funny !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Thanks Shooter, that's good news. I'm going to give it a go.
    you can also put a plastic bag on the front part of the tribe as you push it home... really no big deal !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'm only a mile or two down the street from you, and you've got my number....you ever need help just call and I can do all the heavy work for you

If I still have my bike after the warranty expires, I'd like to try that back tire option myself.

I'm still running on the original rear and it's actually holding up longer than I thought it would, I can feel that the rear is getting a flat area in the center now, but it still has plenty of tread left.

Keith

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Chop that's just too funny. I sometimes wake up dazed and confused so I know what you're talking about. Found a good way to wake up.quickly. Granddaughter and me took a nap in the recliner the other day. She's 15 months and likes to sleep on Poppa's chest. I came alive quickly after about an hour. She had a handful of my beard and was doing her best to rip it out. Blinding pain will wake you.quickly.