I am sooooo sick of the "Biker image"
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I am sooooo sick of the "Biker image"

I am sooooo sick of the "Biker image"

Just got the email from Indian and watched the video of their new Springfield model. Nice bike!

Now I know it is not a new thing, but I am sick and tired of every motorcycle video, commercial and mag ad all showing the same mid 30-40s guy wrapped in leather with the same flat black half helmet and they all have the "partial grey facial hair" and none of them ever smile. Can somebody please send them a bottle of Grecian Formula and a different style of sunglasses???. The non-smile part may have to do with the bike they are riding (insert sarcastic smirk HERE) I am aware that marketing means they are trying to sell "the image", but I have been riding since 1977, I have never wanted to look like that and I have owned Harleys and Victorys in addition to all of my Hondas. I do own black half helmets and a leather jacket, but geez fellas. ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!!!!!
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Who fits a non biker image more than this guy?
    Attachment 19369
    Not afraid to poke fun at myself
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Just got the email from Indian and watched the video of their new Springfield model. Nice bike!

Now I know it is not a new thing, but I am sick and tired of every motorcycle video, commercial and mag ad all showing the same mid 30-40s guy wrapped in leather with the same flat black half helmet and they all have the "partial grey facial hair" and none of them ever smile. Can somebody please send them a bottle of Grecian Formula and a different style of sunglasses???. The non-smile part may have to do with the bike they are riding (insert sarcastic smirk HERE) I am aware that marketing means they are trying to sell "the image", but I have been riding since 1977, I have never wanted to look like that and I have owned Harleys and Victorys in addition to all of my Hondas. I do own black half helmets and a leather jacket, but geez fellas. ALL MOTORCYCLE RIDERS DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!!!!!
    Kind of reminds me of most motorcycle ads that have some young babe, with "big plastic boobs" hanging out of her tiny bikini top, who could not ride a bike if her life depended upon it, attempting to convince the reader that she is sitting on the bike...I know "sex sells" and I am no prude, but come on, enough is enough!!!...JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Who fits a non biker image more than this guy?

Not afraid to poke fun at myself
    A. This guy:

IMG_20150317_144623.jpg

Not afraid to have fun my my "image" either.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    A. This guy:

Attachment 19371

Got a bit of Ireland in ya I'd say...
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

It's the bad ass image. Look at most Motorcycle clothing ads and you will see the same type "rider". A very loose term here!
    Most motorcycle related manufacturers are after new customers and they need to appeal to a certain part of the main stream population. I walked thru a Cycle Gear store not too long ago and see hoodies with what they call crash protection in the way of elbow and back pads. These types of "gear" are not "gear" as much as they are fashion. These manufacturers would rather sell what looks good because it is easier to appeal to a new rider in this manner or rider that wants a bad ass image.
    I looked at that hoodie and my first thought was how this loose fitting pile of material will roll up and tear apart in seconds and offer absolutely not protection at all. Almost a false advertisement in my mind.

I heard a couple talking at that store and heard one guy to the other say....I like the look of this face mask because it makes me feel evil...That seems to be what many want from their biker image.

But that's just my opinion.

I'd love to have one of body's those guys in the adds have. Alas, I am over weight, almost bald on top and sort of on the short side. Ever notice how the old, white, fat guys on Harlies have the hot old lady's. Ok some of the chicks are really round. HD sold an image that some people need and the marketing people a cross the motorcycle industry market. I tried to find off the rack true riding gear, leather/ textile. But my legs are to short and my middle a little to round. Nothing will ever fit this body like the models. I to have to quietly laugh at what people try to emulate, and fail at. That one of the reasons I ride what I ride, I don't have to look like a pirate.

Well I agree that the motorcycle marketing gurus love to play the bad boy or girl card. Look at most firearm publications, many of the ads feature a soldier minus unit ID holding a weapon or mil spec add on that every shooting range commando must have. I think we all wanted to be Cowboys when we were little, the badass act is just the final manifestation. Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    A. This guy:

Attachment 19371

I see a Leather Jacket on the back of that office chair.

It never bothered me what folks choose to wear or look like when they ride. We're on two wheels because we enjoy it. Sort of like it you don't know why dogs ride in cars with their heads out the window, then you wouldn't understand. What is a mystery to me though are the very serious, unsmiling scowls on way too many faces as they dress up to whatever image they are trying to emulate.

Has anyone found the page in the manual that teaches how to blip the throttle constantly? Can't remember the last time any of my bikes were fuel starved while at idle; well, maybe my old Triumph Bonnie.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69