Powering a GPS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powering a GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Yeah Reserve I had the cable running thru the top with a notch. It got to be a bit of a pain. Closing takes a bunch of cussing and opening wasn't much easier.
    It's just not necessary to cut a notch and run the cable out the top where you can see it and where it interferes with opening and closing the lid. IMO, the better route is to go thru a hole in the bottom of the left cubby and out from under the fairing. That way, your cubby lid is not obstructed and you can't see the cable.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Mounting and wiring a GPS

Just another opinion for you to consider. I have a Garmin Zumo 665 which I feel is the best available motorcycle GPS. I have it mounted on the right handlebar with a Ram mount and it is wired to the acc side of the fuse panel. Regardless of which handlebar you mount it on you can operate the touch screen with the fingers of either hand. Reaching across with my left hand is actually very natural. I prefer the right side because visually the shoulder side of the road is usually less busy so the GPS is out of my normal line of sight and less distracting when I am not looking at it. I have mine wired to the acc side because I prefer for it to come on when I start the bike and to shut off when I shut off the bike. I don't like having to remember to switch it on or off These are just my personal preferences but it all works for me. One last thought I have been using Microsoft Streets and Trips for my routing and I like working with it better than any other of the software's currently available.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

I'm running a new 5.5" Garmin off a ram mount on the clutch lever and love it and think it looks clean where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MHutch26 View Post
    I'm running a new 5.5" Garmin off a ram mount on the clutch lever and love it and think it looks clean where it is.
    Did you use the existing screws from the clutch bracket for the ram mount? I have that mount but no longer screws.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Mine required the longer screws that came with the ram mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Did you use the existing screws from the clutch bracket for the ram mount? I have that mount but no longer screws.
    I have this setup. It does require longer screws because there are also spacers the screws need to pass through. Here is a link. You can see the spacers in the 1st pic.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-1U

What about just using the suction cup mount on the windshield? I know they sell a larger more reliable suction cup mount than the one that comes with most GPSs. Then you can just run the wiring into the left cubby.

Hi All!

Thanks so much for all the ideas, I really appreciate it! I decided to go with the Tom Tom Rider 400. I'll post up some feedback once I log some time with it. I'm going to try the left bar mount and run the cable down the conduit, forward, then back to the plug that powers the outlet in the cubby and try tapping into it. I think that may be the easiest and simplest solution. Later in the year when I have to change the air filter I may do a re-wire then. At least, that's the plan as of now! Could change! I'll post up with what I finally arrive at in a few days. Still waiting on the GPS and Ram mounts to arrive.