Michael,

I have had a similar mount arrangement for my Garmin 665 on three previous Goldwings. Similar but not the same...I preferred the reservoir cap mount...gets the GPS up a little higher for better visibility, and allows me to use the clamp mount for my Butler mug.

But either way, the wire routing will be the same, and yes, you will have to remove one side of your top shelter. But relax, it's easy!

You may want to consider one of several available fuse blocks, to be located under the seat. This greatly simplifies this and future accessory wiring and keeps the battery connection clean.

Back to the fundamental question, you will need to remove the seat and either the right or left top shelter, then feed the wire up the handlebar. I never really liked that arrangement, as you will need to be very careful to avoid pinching or rubbing the wire when turning the handlebars.

Think about which side you want the GPS on! I found the left side better, so I could keep my right hand on the throttle while using my left hand to work the GPS.

If you would consider another option, I have installed my GPS on a farkle shelf above the dash and am 100% happy with the results. Better visibility, right in my line of sight, no more hassle with rubbing or pinched wiring, just a better all-around solution, IMHO.

If you don't have a set of Goldwing maintenance videos, there are two options I know of, either Fred Harmon or Cruiseman, either one well worth the money. Either one will show you step-by-step how to remove the seat and shelters. It seems to be a daunting task if you've never done it before, but after having done it countless times, it's no big deal!

If you need help, send me a PM or call me at 615-604-2100 and I'll walk you through it.