Gas Pumps
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Pumps

Gas Pumps

Just a heads up, something I realized recently while getting gas. I have always used premium fuel in my motorcycles. While filling up the other day it hit me that some gas pumps have three to four different grades but one pump. Since most people use regular, when I buy premium I probably get 1 or 11/2 gallons of regular in my tank(gas in the 5 or 6 foot hose) before the "premium" kicks in! So in my relatively small motorcycle tank it has only about 4/5ths of a tank of premium. I now have found some gas stations that have a separate pump for each grade. Seems petty I know, but when you pay for premium I want premium (all of it)!

I could be wrong but I believe that we're supposed to use the 89 grade gas, not the premium which is 91.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

The bike will run on 89, but you can use higher octane if you so desire. I use 91 towards the end of my year just to have better gas to mix the sta-bil with, and the first couple in the spring I run high grade also.

American Petroleum Institute says the average hose contains about 1/3 of a gallon.

Grade of fuel

My owners manual says minimum octane is 86. I've had two gl1800s and two Valkyries that I always ran on regular. The F6B has never seen anything but 87 octane except in New Mexico where I have a hard time putting the 86 octane they sell there in the bike. If the motor doesn't require 91 octane there is no benefit to putting it in the bike. If it doesn't require 91 octane and there is no benefit to running it I don't spend the extra money.

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    My owners manual says minimum octane is 86. I've had two gl1800s and two Valkyries that I always ran on regular. The F6B has never seen anything but 87 octane except in New Mexico where I have a hard time putting the 86 octane they sell there in the bike. If the motor doesn't require 91 octane there is no benefit to putting it in the bike. If it doesn't require 91 octane and there is no benefit to running it I don't spend the extra money.
    I second that. I always run 87 and did it on my previous GW, no problems whatsoever. In fact, that's one of the reasons I bought it, got tired of trying to find a good deal on premium for my HD and BMW in the past. Around here most gas stations only advertise the price of regular on their signs. Sometimes a gas station with the cheapest regular has more expensive price for premium. I got tired of trying to get a good deal on premium.

I also own 3 other vehicles, a sports car, an suv and a pickup truck. All run fine on regular, which is what says for them in the manual as well. The only other vehicle I own that requires premium is my Victory XC, but I can tolerate it for now.

Once I had to put regular gas in my BMW Z3 convertible, needed gas and the station was out of premium. The engine started to produce smoke and run like crap! I added premium as fast as I could and it got better. That was the only time I saw such a difference on gas grade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

All I run is 87 in my Valkyrie and F6B.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

shooter
    OK I don't know if this is true everywhere but the only gas that has a true octane is regular and premium. The 89 is blended at the station. And guess what? Most times you get screwed. That's the way they do it in MO. I run Premium all the time and mostly Shell or BP. I have never had the cold stumble that others claim and in the summer when its 95° I don't worry about spark knock. My bike always runs great. Another benefit with the brands I mentioned is the premium detergent packages both have in their top grade fuels. Being a mechanic most of my life I've seen too many fuel related problems. Living in a state where we experience temperature extremes at both ends I like the peace of mind I get with a top grade fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    OK I don't know if this is true everywhere but the only gas that has a true octane is regular and premium. The 89 is blended at the station. And guess what? Most times you get screwed. That's the way they do it in MO. I run Premium all the time and mostly Shell or BP. I have never had the cold stumble that others claim and in the summer when its 95° I don't worry about spark knock. My bike always runs great. Another benefit with the brands I mentioned is the premium detergent packages both have in their top grade fuels. Being a mechanic most of my life I've seen too many fuel related problems. Living in a state where we experience temperature extremes at both ends I like the peace of mind I get with a top grade fuel.
    TO each their own. I've never experienced the cold stumble either, and it cost me less.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

shooter
    Jimmy , why would you kick me in the nutz just cause I run premium. I wouldn't do that to you.