Gas Pumps - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gas Pumps

I'm not a petroleum engineer, but I never read anything good that Ethanol does for our motorcycles. I do not believe it has any effect on cleaning the fuel system. Instead it can damage fuel systems when used. Unfortunately, its difficult to locate Ethanol free gasoline for a reasonable price. The below information might shed some light on Ethanol use.

Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor directly from the atmosphere. Because absorbed water dilutes the fuel value of the ethanol and may cause phase separation of ethanol-gasoline blends (which causes engine stall), containers of ethanol fuels must be kept tightly sealed. This high miscibility with water means that ethanol cannot be efficiently shipped through modern pipelines, like liquid hydrocarbons, over long distances.[26] Mechanics also have seen increased cases of damage to small engines, in particular, the carburetor, attributable to the increased water retention by ethanol in fuel.

The fraction of water that an ethanol-gasoline fuel can contain without phase separation increases with the percentage of ethanol.[28] This shows, for example, that E30 can have up to about 2% water. If there is more than about 71% ethanol, the remainder can be any proportion of water or gasoline and phase separation does not occur. The fuel mileage declines with increased water content. The increased solubility of water with higher ethanol content permits E30 and hydrated ethanol to be put in the same tank since any combination of them always results in a single phase. Somewhat less water is tolerated at lower temperatures. For E10 it is about 0.5% v/v at 70 F and decreases to about 0.23% v/v at −30 F.

I haven't noticed any fuel issues in either bike I've owned since 2012. I ran premium in my last bike and regular in this one. All the fuel purchased has been 10% ethanol, because I don't know where non-ethanol even is around here. All I can come up with is that the use of seafoam has helped along the way. Maybe any additive would do the same, but seafoam was recommended when I began and is all I've used. I did change the fuel filter after 15,000 miles previously, but only as a precaution, not due to any problem. I'm going to continue as I have and not make this an issue until something gives cause. As said previously, I drop in a few ounces every few tanks of gas and I will ride past any gas station that is receiving a new load.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I haven't noticed any fuel issues in either bike I've owned since 2012. I ran premium in my last bike and regular in this one. All the fuel purchased has been 10% ethanol, because I don't know where non-ethanol even is around here.
    Most of the gas stations around southern Wisconsin sell premium gas with no ethanol. I use it with no problems, and when I travel away, where I need to use the ethanol fuels, I have also had no issues. I think as long as the fuel gets used up in a short period of time, there is no problems. If you gotta store the bike, then Sea foam works well. Probably other stabilizes work fine, too.

I haven't noticed any fuel issues in either bike I've owned since 2012. I ran premium in my last bike and regular in this one. All the fuel purchased has been 10% ethanol, because I don't know where non-ethanol even is around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Most of the gas stations around southern Wisconsin sell premium gas with no ethanol. .
    You are right, they do. But the octane is also not 93 like most premium, it is only 91. I ran into issues running WI premium in my K1200lt, which requires 93 octane. Loss of power, and rough running. It is possible that it was a problem with the gas at one or two stations, so not totally sure if the lower octane was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Most of the gas stations around southern Wisconsin sell premium gas with no ethanol. I use it with no problems, and when I travel away, where I need to use the ethanol fuels, I have also had no issues. I think as long as the fuel gets used up in a short period of time, there is no problems. If you gotta store the bike, then Sea foam works well. Probably other stabilizes work fine, too.
    You are absolutely correct. It seems the Ethanol fuels don't have a long shelf life. I use fuel stabilizer in any bike that sits longer than two weeks. I'm lucky, in New Mexico, i pretty much ride year round.

Lots of good info. Thanks.
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson