Which Daytona rally is better....

Thread: Which Daytona rally is better....

Which Daytona rally is better....

the spring or the fall one and why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Having spent several Bike Weeks and Biketoberfests as an "out-of-towner," here's my $0.02:

I prefer the fall because:
    1. It is less crowded with out-of-towners.
    2. The vendors who are there are very eager to earn your business albeit there are fewer leather/Pirate accessory outlets.
    3. Remote locals come in on Friday night, leaving Thursday and Friday good times to walk the vendors and get stuff installed/demo'd/fitted, etc.
    4. Minimal far away people show because it is only a 4 day event.
    5. Nice restaurants don't have a 90 minute queue for a table and the wait staff are the regulars and not 10 day temps.
    6. You can actually enjoy riding somewhere without one of the "5% bikers" making excessive noise or riding irresponsibly, and you can ride without 30,000 other bikes on the two lane road.
    7. I am starting to believe that many of these people who trailer their bikes in to Bike Week just got them out of long term storage and have zero or very few post storage miles on them and their skill set is rusty. I've seen so many near misses and tunnel vision - so focused on trying to keep the bike upright while going straight - that a gentle curve in the road creates sheer terror and the back seat driver has had more than a few "un-Christian-like" comments for the operator. And this is at 0900...

Having said all that, I encourage everyone to experience at least one Bike Week for themselves. If you like life loud, borderline obnoxious, the smell of slightly used beer, loud (pretty good) bands, thousands of people per square kilometer, and people watching- you gotta check out Bike Week.
    If you generally like less "humanity" in your personal space, actually carrying on a civil, meaningful conversation with someone right next to you, try a Biketoberfest first.

I'll be happy to field any more specific questions.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Great write up Steve and thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Everything Steve said in his post I absolutely agree with. I been to both every year since 2010 until this year. I would only add that rooms are easier to get(not necessarily cheaper) because of fewer people. Also the weather is much better in Oct. T-shirt weather late at nite-not so in March. I ride from home(W.Va.) in Oct. but trailer in March because snow covered roads can be a factor here. If you only have one shot, make it Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by hardtail View Post
    Everything Steve said in his post I absolutely agree with. I been to both every year since 2010 until this year. I would only add that rooms are easier to get(not necessarily cheaper) because of fewer people. Also the weather is much better in Oct. T-shirt weather late at nite-not so in March. I ride from home(W.Va.) in Oct. but trailer in March because snow covered roads can be a factor here. If you only have one shot, make it Oct.
    Thanks for the advice! I have a friend who will only go to the fall one because the attendance is not as large.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994