Dancing with a 2005 GoldWing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with a 2005 GoldWing

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Dancing with a 2005 GoldWing

Phantom, after watching about 20 seconds of this video, I knew I had seen this rider and bike before. He is riding in the parking lot of the old RMC dealership, which was Renton Motorcycle's, just off Hwy 167, in north Kent, WA. The parking lot is shared by the (still in business) Harley-Davidson dealership.

It was about 18 months ago that I was standing in the center of that parking lot, bike parked (my 2006 Wing), and visiting with some friends that are members of the Northwest Wings Drill Team. I used to be a practicing member of the team, many years ago, so I thought I would ride up and visit with the team, as I knew they would be practicing that day. As we were standing there, b.s.ing with one another...this rider on the Blue '05 Wing started doing loops and circles around us, using the entire parking lot as his own private testing grounds. It was somewhat entertaining to watch. I asked all the members of the team if he was a new member, or..who he was, and no one knew him.

We watched him for about 30 minutes, round and round, back and forth. It was almost as if he was auditioning for the Northwest Wings Drill Team.
    I will say that this rider on the Blue '05 Wing could take a tighter corner or smaller circle than anyone I had ever seen before. He would intentionally scrape his engine guards and footpegs in almost every tight circle, yet almost never lay the bike down. It was impressive riding skills.

At one point when the rider stopped...for a brief moment, we walked over to talk to him. One of the other guys in our group asked him if he ever rode his bike outside of the parking lot...like...on the road. He said he did, so my friend asked him if he ever rode long distance...to which he said he did...to which my friend asked him if he would be up for a challenge riding lon distance...to which he quickly responded that he would. (I could see where this was going, and I was not smiling at this). My friend then asked if he would be willing to race one of us, in a long distance ride. (and there it was...I knew I was going to be set up as the ringer in this, as I knew NONE of these other guys on the Northwest Wings Drill Team were that much into long distance riding). When the rider on the Blue '05 said that he would be willing to race someone in a long distance ride, my friend told him that the ride would be from Seattle to New York City...and back. That is when the rider on the Blue '05 Wing said..."oh, I thought you meant from like Seattle to Tacoma...maybe a 50 mile ride at most".

It was all pretty funny, and even the rider on the Blue '05 Wing had a good laugh at that. I don't remember the rider's name that was on the Blue '05 Wing, and we all left shortly after that. Now...to see the video of him in the same parking lot...it was funny.

I will say, the guy can ride...in a parking lot. Never seen him ride any straight lines longer than maybe 100 feet. While watching him I always wondered..and we asked him this too...if you like going in circles so much, and riding tight loops...there are 100 other motorcycles that are better designed for this, than a Goldwing 1800. His answer was that it is easy to ride a CBR600RR or anything like that in a tight circle, but much more difficult to do it on a Wing.

In conclusion, I will say that the bottomside of that Wing was scraped all to heck...ground down to thin metal.

SS1000

This could be Big Dawg or Miles from the Dragon but it is Yellow Wolf 6 years ago. He did 106 Tail of the Dragon Runs in 24 hours. If he went 11 miles each that's 1166 miles in 24 hours ON THE DRAGON! Thats a twisty long distance day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

One of our MSF instructors used to do the 50'x70' u-turn box on his wing.. peg to peg. Impressive!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Cool videos
    Ride it like you stole it

Cool Nimble

Who says those things aren't nimble. I hope the scarping sound was his foot peg

Paul B......
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Police

Victory not Honda but still not sure how they get this done. Casters on the crash bars maybe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8UQz_pzKo

Excellent videos, they make it look easy.
    Life's uncertain eat dessert first.
    I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.

Hanging off!

Normally in those low-speed tight turns the riders move their weight to the high side of the bike... this guy's hanging off. I can understand hanging off when moving faster, but some of these maneuvers are low speed tight stuff. And he's grinding away on the hard parts. Impressive.

EDIT: OK, I can see at around the 4 minute mark he's doing the really low speed stuff and he's up to the top of the bike. Just wow.

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com