Your state's registration fee - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your state's registration fee

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    This guy tried something similar and won an expense paid vacation in the big house. He also got an ID/registration # 43355-018.

That's right - this dude used a tax payer ID (SSN), He's a subtitle A income tax payer. btw, they wanted him on 9 counts; however, believe he was only convicted of 3. He asked for $ back from the U.S. Treasury 3 times. On all the other 'failure to file' he was acquitted. lol The 3 counts where misdemeanors. One of the rare occasions a Citizen went to prison for committing a misdemeanor. Jay walking is a misdemeanor.

If you're taxpayer, lying on a 'return' is a felony. If a taxpayer does not file, it's only a misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Really?

Got to be a catch. Or the black ATF helicopters and ATF agents just haven't tracked you down... through your non-existent SSN.

Do you live on the beach and pan handle... per chance?
    Nada, I actually read. Here's the SS admin letter for you.

Also here's the link to Taco Bell's Job application. Under Social Security Number, you'll see (optional). lol

http://www.mmsa.info/sites/default/f...pplication.pdf

Also, here's the link to the fed gov't own website for an I-9 Form. It's actually 9 pages - not the 2 pages most HR people give their new hires. At the bottom of page one, it clearly reads providing a SSN is 'voluntary'.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...s/form/i-9.pdf

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. However, I'm able to save 30 to 40 % more of my 'compensation for labor' because I do not use a Fed Tax ID #. Thus, there's 'no income' to report to the Feds. It pisses off the company I work for HR / Accountant every time he issues me a check. lol

Thanks for that. That is very interesting. Taxation is always a difficult subject to understand; this just makes it more surreal to me... I would think that most employers would balk at not deducting taxes from wages they pay out; and it would present a challenge to employee's that ask for that to be done; to the point of not being hired initially.

Though you remarked that Taco Bell was sued years ago for doing just that; I don't think that it's an idea that's going to catch on regarding the masses (employers and employee's alike). Too many folks would rather acquiesce in providing a SSN in exchange for employment; rather than to resign themselves to a legal battle in forcing an employer to hire them without it.

This is one aspect of my long term finances where I pretty much just suck it up and pay into the coffers of the state and federal government. i understand the advantage in keeping that portion of your compensation (taxes) for yourself; though you cut yourself out of any governmental benefits (social security compensation, medicare, etc) down the road and most folks need that towards the end of their lives.

Also there is the fact that we as an American society are a collective; and our safety, security and infrastructure depends on the ability of the government to provide; which has a monetary cost funded via taxation. While a lot of that money collected is seemingly pissed away by the politicians and bureaucrats; the very basis for revenue to be generated exists.

If we were a nation of freeloaders... we would cease to being a nation.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

65 for me in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post
    That's right - this dude used a tax payer ID (SSN), He's a subtitle A income tax payer. btw, they wanted him on 9 counts; however, believe he was only convicted of 3. He asked for $ back from the U.S. Treasury 3 times. On all the other 'failure to file' he was acquitted. lol The 3 counts where misdemeanors. One of the rare occasions a Citizen went to prison for committing a misdemeanor. Jay walking is a misdemeanor.

If you're taxpayer, lying on a 'return' is a felony. If a taxpayer does not file, it's only a misdemeanor.
    NPR's Planet Money podcast below profiled a guy who did this for years as well. You may find it interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...rry-vs-the-irs
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Just last week got my registration and inspection.....................61 for registration and 7.50 for inspection. It ain't cheap in Texas, you would think with all the resources they are getting out of the ground they would be kind to their citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This URL gives a complete listing for every state if you are looking for one in particular...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...-by-state.aspx
    Registration in Nebraska is only $6 (not the $15 the the above URL indicates). However, with all of the additional taxes and fees, it cost me $290.50 to register my bike this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Indiana 2013 Deluxe
    $161.35
    JAYGO

NY is a high tax state, but I am starting to see how other states close the gap with lower taxes. Fees, fees, fees.

Motorcycle registration is $17.50
    Boats are $46 for three years
    ATVs are $12.50 per year (NY does not have a widespread trail system, though)
    Snowmobiles are $45, with $40 going into a Trail Fund to pay for grooming equipment, trail work, etc.
    Cars are roughly $50 for two years; trucks are heavier vehicles are higher.

However, the property taxes are $4500 on my $160,000 house and our sales tax rate is 8% (4% state, 4% county; some counties higher).

It takes a certain amount of $$ to run a state, schools, maintain and build roads, etc. States seem to have different ways of collecting that revenue, but in the end, the tax burden ends up being a lot closer than we are led to believe by our state leaders around the country.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Here in Queensland it is $443 for one year. That is rego and 3rd party insurance.