Just for comparison sake:

I am wondering what are the advantages of using a dedicated GPS over the GPS in my cell phone.

I have never had or used a dedicated GPS but I have traveled all over back roads in the middle of no where and have rarely if ever lost the signal to the cell phone. I also get updates as to the road problems etc... on the fly.

I can say that you need to careful when the cell phone GPS tells you to get off and take an alternative route to avoid a traffic problem. This is what is making me interested in hearing opinions about the dedicated GPS over the cell phone GPS.

On my way home from Florida last weekend the cell phone took me on an alternative path to avoid an 11 minute delay.

I normally would go through Birmingham to Nashville and get on 24 through the land between the lakes to St Louis.

To avoid a 11 min delay I went on back roads from just before Birmingham for 5 hours and ended up arriving in St Louis vi highway 55. I had no idea where I was for much of this time. I was already and hour plus in to the alternative root, it was dark, I was sick with the flu, and I had no idea where I was at. Thank god I decided with my sickness to take the car on this trip. I think I may have avoided the 11 min delay but I almost went insane in the process. If it was daytime, I was not sick, and on the bike the back roads would have been great.

Steve