GPS choice?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GPS choice?

GPS choice?

I am just curious as to which GPS is the choice of the riders here. I have a mount for a Garmin 665 already installed on the bike but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. A buddy of mine bought a 660 and wanted the XM upgrade so he went with the 665. He hates it. It has never worked as advertised since he bought it new and has sent it back 3-4 times to get is fixed and he claims that it still isn't functioning correctly.

After doing some research, I have come up with either the Zumo 395 (Yet to be released) or the on the market Zumo 550. Of course the 395 is less money but the 550 is available NOW!!! But again...much more $$$.

So I am just curious who has what and their satisfaction with their choice?
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

I have a good old TOM-TOM that I took out of my old pick up truck, and although it wasn't specifically made for motorcycles, I put it on my old bike and it ran there for 9 years. Now I put it on the new F6B last July. Two weeks ago it took me down to Daytona from PA and back with no trouble.
    It planed the route, distance and direction of the next turn, the street name, the distance to my final destination, the time to go and even the current time.
    Yes, I had to do some free program updates on the computer from time to time, but considering it's been almost 12 years of not getting lost I can now say it was one of the best $100.00 I've ever spent on not getting lost.
    Too many people get lost on the electronics highway today and pay through the back pocket for something that used to be free in every gas station a few years back. I think we used to call it a map. Yep, some of that other information was nice to have it gave me something to think about in traffic but it interfered with my tecing.

GaTeach
    None

What I have is two of each one for the wife and one for myself, all Zumos (2) 590LM, (2) 660, (2) 550 my wife thinks we need to upgrade
    every time a new one comes out.

I have the Garmin 665 on my wing and f6b,no trouble for me
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

If you don't need waterproof....

I have used the Garmin 1450 for years because it has one of the brightest 5" screens available. Only problem is, it is discontinued but you can still find them on the internet. If rain threatens, I just put it in a small zip lock bag (closure on the bottom so the power cable can remain connected and the closure slide orientated toward the power cord side when almost closed) and then hook it to the mount. Works great for everything but a hurricane (which has happened).

I have the Garmin Monterra and a Montana as backup. Both have mounts and will run for several days on 3 AA batteries. They are actually design for geocaching but work just like a Nuvi with the road maps. And you can drop them in a puddle.

Attachment 19712
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

3 GARMINS

The Nuvi 205 is the oldest and still works like a champ, the next newest is the Nuvi 2555 and the newest one is the Nuvi 50 the bigger ones have Lifetime maps and traffic but I prefer the oldest one which is also the smallest for use on the bike. I have never had a false direction given by any of them and have always arrive on target. Amazon.com has a wonderful selection of Garmins and a wide range of prices as well.

Was never happy with my Garmin 660, just bought the Tomtom 400 that works fine now and accepts GPX tracks

Thanks for the reply's. I have a 2720 still mounted on my Beemer but I want to up grade to something that is a bit easier to see. The new Garmin 395 looks like it will fit hat bill. We'll see when and if it comes out soon.
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"