North East Meet and Greet - Page 4
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: North East Meet and Greet

Attachment 19894Attachment 19895

Yesterday was a fairly nice day (66 degrees) here, except for the wind it would have been a perfect riding day.
    I have been nursing a growing hanker'en for a hot dog and a good piece of apple pie so I took the 4 hour ride covering our planned route. Poor me having to ride while others work. Nobody knows how I suffer when I think about how I suffer.
    At the Apple Pie bakery I spoke to the owner who gave me the attached brochure. She also reminded me about her home made pot pies, so I never did get a chance for the hot dog. Dang it! Oh well maybe on the 10th. Poor Me!
    She also asked me to give her a call if our group got large so she could put a few more hot dogs on the grill. She said more bikers are already showing up this year. Seems the word is getting out.
    Maybe tomorrow or Sunday I'll post the itinerary with the mileage and planned stops. Stay tuned.

Here's the route and schedule

Meet at the PA welcome center in Matamoras, PA . It is located off I-84. The first exit after crossing the Delaware coming from NY state. It's right on State route 209. Meet time will be 10 am planned departure time 10:30 am.

Coming out of the welcome center make a left onto SR 209 south. Follow the signs toward Milford PA. (A number of motels are in Milford on SR 209 if needed).
    Once in Milford you will come to a light follow the signs turning left to 209 South.
    209 is the main road going thru the National park. Along the road you will see many pull offs and trail heads. There is a burn area that was recently burned over by the PA game commission to plant new summer grass to promote wild life. This is after all open to the public for small and large game hunting. As is the whole Federal park.
    You will note the river on your left is the Delaware which we will be following down to the town of Water Gap.
    Approximately 15 miles down from the welcome center is the Dingman's Falls parking area. The road was closed on Thursday but I was told it may be opened for the weekend. Either way we have an option to either walk the road in to see the falls (1 mile walk) or continue on down if road is not open.
    From here turn back onto 209 S for 12 miles and out of the park. In approx. 14 miles and you'll see signs for the Fernwood resort. There is a traffic light there at River road. On your left you'll see a small ski area, make that left onto River road. Your going back into the park.
    Be careful on this road. It's real twisted fun but the turns are sharp and the ups and downs will un-weight your bike making for real technical riding. Leave plenty of room between you and the bike in front of you.
    A little ways down there's a model airplane area if anybodies interested in watching them fly.
    Ignore any signs you see going back to rt 209 stay on River rd. You'll be going past the PGA, Shawnee golf course and the Shawnee General Store bear left and go by the front of the store. Follow the road and you'll go under a railroad bridge and I-80 past another PA welcome center to a traffic light there make a left onto SR-611. about a quarter mile into the town you'll see the Apple Tree Bakery on your left.
    OK, it's time for lunch and BS. You have 45 minutes.

Coming out of the Apple Tree you'll make a right turn and follow the signs back to I-80 west. You'll now have a chance to stretch your 5th gear for approx. 29 miles up the mountain to the Blakeslee SR 115 exit 840. Coming off the ramp bear right follow 115 to the light at jct 940 turn left onto SR 940 (Citgo station on your left WAWA on your right). Approx. 5 miles watch for the sign to Francis E Walter's Dam turn Right and follow the road 3 miles through the state game lands to the dam. 15 minutes for pictures then back out the way we came to SR 940 turn left. Follow 940 back approx 20 miles to traffic light jct 423 (Gulf station on your left). Turn left and follow the road making sure you stop at the stop sign at the one lane bridge.
    You'll be going thru a small development and then into state game lands again. Hang on for one of the best short stretches of bike road in PA.
    That road will take us back out to a Jct with I-380. Depending on time and personal choice you'll have to make a decision you can book north to the jct with I-84 (about 9 miles) and find your way home or continue down 423 (a back road) to it's jct with SR 196 N to SR 507 N to I-84.
    Or if your hungry there's a real good restaurant / bar or an outdoor Barbecue not far away that I can direct you too.
    Total ride approx 100 miles
    Please if anybody has any suggestions please chime in.
    Now we just need the weather. Maybe we should start taking a pole on a preferred optional date?

I'll make a late decision. Saturday has showers, but maybe the afternoon will be better. I plan on an overnight. Sunday is ok, but coming home for me will be a cold one. Probably looking at the 40's for a 5 hour ride.

I can adapt to most any other Sunday if this gets postponed, but it's still early.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Sounds real good Bob. I am only one vote but if we get weathered out for the 10th, the next 2 weekends ( 17th to 27th ) I will be in Arizona, so the next chance for me would be May 1st. Its all good with what plans everyone makes, I am sure this will not be the last get together. Thanks for the great plans, it sounds like an awesome day.

Doesn't look promising for us. Temp too cool and damp for a 5 hr ride back.
    Maybe we can meet up with you all once it gets closer to summer.
    Yeah, we are wimps. Lol

Heads up! I woke up this morning too 3" of snow here on top of the mountain and 21 degree temps. Worst yet during my morning coffee I watched the long range forecast. This front is moving out today but will be followed by a secondary front coming thru late tonight with more snow. As predicted earlier, this secondary front will be out of here by Tuesday and temps will clime back into the 50's mid week. Unfortunately, the vapor loop is showing the probability of another cold front coming out of Canada next Friday and bringing more snow and cold next weekend.
    It's early yet, but does anyone have a problem with moving the date to May 1? At least by then there will be leaves on some of the trees. I just hope it's not too hot.

If anyone wants to join our Pennsylvania brethren on their RTEs on a more permanent basis, my house in Holland, PA is officially up for sale....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Heads up! I woke up this morning too 3" of snow here on top of the mountain and 21 degree temps. Worst yet during my morning coffee I watched the long range forecast. This front is moving out today but will be followed by a secondary front coming thru late tonight with more snow. As predicted earlier, this secondary front will be out of here by Tuesday and temps will clime back into the 50's mid week. Unfortunately, the vapor loop is showing the probability of another cold front coming out of Canada next Friday and bringing more snow and cold next weekend.
    It's early yet, but does anyone have a problem with moving the date to May 1? At least by then there will be leaves on some of the trees. I just hope it's not too hot.
    I'm ok with the change....40's now for both Sat and Sun. Mother Nature isn't so kind sometimes.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

OK with me
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

I'll be back from Florida around the 15th of April and will attend if you move the date to May 1st! There will be a lot of anti-skid material on the roads especially with the latest snow fall That IMHO is worse than ice! Guess we all have to think "SPRING"