Five-year helmet lifespan?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Five-year helmet lifespan?

Five-year helmet lifespan?

Curious to know what others think about the general recommendation to replace your helmet every five years. Can understand that helmet manufacturers recommend this for obvious $$$$ reasons but you'll see this advice from motorcycle safety foundations too, and they wouldn't have any direct financial interest in seeing more helmets sold. There's so many variables involved -- seems like the key thing here is miles ridden versus age of helmet sitting on a shelf. In fact, who knows how long a helmet has been in a store before you buy it, which makes the five-year rule of thumb kind of a crap shoot. Any thoughts out there on this?

I call BS on this one.... others may disagree .... unless you drop it or store it in the sun not sure what can go wrong with it...JMHO
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I call BS on this one.... others may disagree .... unless you drop it or store it in the sun not sure what can go wrong with it...JMHO
    +1

Maybe I'm just ignorant of the facts here, but I agree w Steve... BS... unless the helmet has been stressed (dropped, crashed or otherwise).
    Having said that, we do know that some materials will deteriorate in UV and heat... glues, plastics and laminates, for example. So maybe that's the rub.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Just curious …. How do Body Oils from your scalp over time effect the styrofoam material in the helmet?

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Just curious …. How do Body Oils from your scalp over time effect the styrofoam material in the helmet?
    Might cause a breakdown of the softer foam padding of the liner (in extreme cases)......but the actual styrofoam impact absorption filler, naaah.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

shooter
    I agree with Simon. They put that Styrofoam under a boat dock in a nasty lake and its still there 20 years later. What's my scalp gonna do to it. I could see Stro. He only takes a bath on the even number Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I agree with Simon. They put that Styrofoam under a boat dock in a nasty lake and its still there 20 years later. What's my scalp gonna do to it. I could see Stro. He only takes a bath on the even number Saturdays.
    Good one! Hope you and Stro are good buddies.

shooter
    Step cousin , twice removed. You can't pick family.

I usually change my helmets out every 3 or 4 years. Unless of course it was dropped. I live in Arizona and for many years I kept my helmets in my garage. I had a beautiful Suomi that I wore for many years, after 5 years the interior of the helmet was just crumbling. I now keep my helmets indoors, tremendous heat build up just destroys the inner liner, don't know about the styrofoam however.

it boils down to liability