Five-year helmet lifespan? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Five-year helmet lifespan?

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    That's how I knew the CH-53 wouldn't kill me....I was better than it and everyone else in the sky.
    Arrogant - you betcha.
    Deserved - most thought so and the ones who didn't, didn't matter.
    Battle damage - of course, comes with the job.

One important difference though.....there weren't a bunch of morons on 4 wheels turning left in front of me in the sky.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I hear you 53. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. I just try to live up to my ability and make the most of what god given talent I have . I probably don't have quite as much fun riding as some others because of hyper awareness while I'm riding. And that multiplies tenfold when Sharon is on the back. I owe it to our kids to bring her home safe. I still enjoy myself but man I am busy processing what's going on around me at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I hear you 53. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. I just try to live up to my ability and make the most of what god given talent I have . I probably don't have quite as much fun riding as some others because of hyper awareness while I'm riding. And that multiplies tenfold when Sharon is on the back. I owe it to our kids to bring her home safe. I still enjoy myself but man I am busy processing what's going on around me at all times.
    Am I really better than anyone else in the sky? Don't know - doesn't matter. As you wrote, it's the riding/driving/flying style.
    Hyper awareness...oh man. My daughters still get a kick out of watching me in a mall or walking down a street.
    Beauty is? Now they do it too. Every person is assessed and categorized as a threat or non-threat.
    When they drive they now admit they do it there as well.

When loved ones are along for the ride? Yes, I owe it to their loved ones to bring them back safely and God help anyone who impedes that mission.

"Don't let the bike take you where your brain hasn't already been for at least 5 minutes."
    Tough when MSF teaches a max 12 second rider radar....
    Lol.

Cheers mate.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I've got a lot of people that love me and depend on me. Ditto on that $700 Shoei. My grandkids need me.
    In my world, helmet=compliance. Period. And I'm rolling with a $25 helmet Steve 0080 sold me at the auction for the rally.

And about five hours from now, I'll be at the GA/FL line, shedding my helmet.

Dead>vegetable

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Then it is time. Your nose "knows".....
    my other helmet was hanging in the garage and I had to remove a bird's nest. Didn't think to smell it. Ewwww.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    my other helmet was hanging in the garage and I had to remove a bird's nest. Didn't think to smell it. Ewwww.
    That is a huge problem here as well. I normally hang my helmets up in the shed; and if I leave the doors open all day... birds will start nesting in them; especially in the springtime.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    We have a dedicated bench for helmets and coats. I have a small fan that we put on the bench and turn on the helmets. Got it on a timer for 1 hour. Works great.

Usually hang it on the floor jack handle...I also have an attachment on my boot/glove drier for it...It rains a wee bit in the Puget Sound region