Five-year helmet lifespan? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Five-year helmet lifespan?

Somewhere in this thread I erroneously reiterated the MSF position on the 5 year rule for helmet replacement.

I'm doing prep work for my Florida MSF certification and here is their latest on helmet lifespan:

"A helmet will not last forever and should be replaced after several years of use."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Somewhere in this thread I erroneously reiterated the MSF position on the 5 year rule for helmet replacement.

I'm doing prep work for my Florida MSF certification and here is their latest on helmet lifespan:

"A helmet will not last forever and should be replaced after several years of use."
    That is vague. Even they do not know for sure. There are too many variables involved.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Way too many variables in this whole discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    That is vague. Even they do not know for sure. There are too many variables involved.
    Given a choice---If I knew for sure I was going to crash I would rather be wearing a full face 5 year old cheap helmet, than a brand new carbon fiber $150 WSB half helmet. IMHO--the helmet is the last resort for preservation. Riding style provides much better protection in 99% of instances.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shooter
    If I knew I was going to crash I wouldn't ride. I always believe I'm better than that. And yeah that's a riding style. And yes that will do more for you than any helmet.

It's a matter of averages...two types of riders, those who have gone down and those who will...unfortunately nearly every rider falls into one or both of those categories... Best you can hope for is that everything goes your way when your turn comes up...A good helmet, even if it doesn't help much, will hopefully give you the extra edge you need to make it thru.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    If I knew I was going to crash I wouldn't ride. I always believe I'm better than that. And yeah that's a riding style. And yes that will do more for you than any helmet.
    I award 100 Internets to you Shooter. I believe as you believe, regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    It's a matter of averages...two types of riders, those who have gone down and those who will...unfortunately nearly every rider falls into one or both of those categories... Best you can hope for is that everything goes your way when your turn comes up...A good helmet, even if it doesn't help much, will hopefully give you the extra edge you need to make it thru.
    Nope. Nah. Not happening here. To the expectations and the very best of my abilities.

I do not subscribe to the adage "there are two kinds of motorcyclists; those whom have crashed and those whom will".

I am a realist. Not a fatalist.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    That's how I knew the CH-53 wouldn't kill me....I was better than it and everyone else in the sky.
    Arrogant - you betcha.
    Deserved - most thought so and the ones who didn't, didn't matter.
    Battle damage - of course, comes with the job.

One important difference though.....there weren't a bunch of morons on 4 wheels turning left in front of me in the sky.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I do not subscribe to the adage "there are two kinds of motorcyclists; those whom have crashed and those whom will"

Nope. Nah. Not happening here. To the expectations and the very best of my abilities.
    I don't think any of us intentionally crash...

Experience vs the helmet

The more time you have rolling those roads the more likely you are to see trouble coming before you are involved in it. Experience is worth its weight in gold when it comes to saving you from a bad situation. Everyone told me when I bought that big M109R, your gonna kill yourself, I just told them this is the sixth motorcycle I have owned and never wrecked the first five and the other thing they weren't looking at was the 2.3 million miles behind the wheel of a semi-tractor trailer, that experience has saved me more than I can count. I see situations developing before it happens, so its important. I have heard of first time owner getting killed and it was a lack of the all important experience need to save their life. We had a Priest up north of me who bought his first Harley and on his first ride went into a corner to hot, drifted over the center line and hit a car head-on and died right there with less than 75 miles on the bike. Experience will save you more times than any helmet ever thought of doing. Never ride faster than your guardian angel!