Pirelli Centurato P1 Runflat - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Centurato P1 Runflat

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Notice that all posters with negative opinions have never run this kind of tire. I've been running the ZE912 Falken with great results which just shows what happens when you assume something. Here are the characteristics of that tire:

• Hybrid-Asymmetric Pattern Design – Optimized inside and outside tread patterns to ensure all-season grip on demand

• Infinite Sipe Sequence – Full-depth sipes throughout the entire tread platform creating biting edges that dramatically increase traction in all seasons

• Rotation Wear Indicators (RWI) – Falken engineered visual cues that help the driver maximize tire life and overall tire value, prompting regular tire maintenance

• Four High-Volume Circumferential Grooves – Designed to deliver increased hydroplane resistance and maximum stability in wet conditions

• High Angle Variable Cross Grooves – In inclement weather conditions, these grooves effectively evacuate water away from the contact patch

This tire has been phenomenal in wet or dry conditions. I would recommend it without reservation.
    Ken I didn't see any negative comments all I saw was questions. I did say that it wasn't for me and I stand by that. I don't see that as being negative. I don't know much about tires having only sold thousands of them over the last 27 years. I can tell you that I've attended dozens of tire seminars in that time that were put on by Goodyear , Michelin , Bridgestone/Firestone , Dunlop , Comtinental and Pirelli. I can tell you that all these manufacturers specify that when you mount a non-symmetrical that the sidewall marked inside or outside expressly goes in that position. The tire manufacturers say that the inside of a non-symmetrical tire is not designed to lead into a curve. See that's it Ken. There is design aspect to that tire and I guarantee you in certain scenario's that tire will not perform the same on those two edges. More rubber , less siping , different tread design all together. If you think those elements don't make a difference then run a slick and let me know how that works. Like I said , its not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Ken I didn't see any negative comments all I saw was questions. I did say that it wasn't for me and I stand by that. I don't see that as being negative. I don't know much about tires having only sold thousands of them over the last 27 years. I can tell you that I've attended dozens of tire seminars in that time that were put on by Goodyear , Michelin , Bridgestone/Firestone , Dunlop , Comtinental and Pirelli. I can tell you that all these manufacturers specify that when you mount a non-symmetrical that the sidewall marked inside or outside expressly goes in that position. The tire manufacturers say that the inside of a non-symmetrical tire is not designed to lead into a curve. See that's it Ken. There is design aspect to that tire and I guarantee you in certain scenario's that tire will not perform the same on those two edges. More rubber , less siping , different tread design all together. If you think those elements don't make a difference then run a slick and let me know how that works. Like I said , its not for me.
    That's fine, Shooter. I don't remember naming you specifically as being negative. Be that as it may, what do I know without selling thousands of tires as you have? What I do know is simply this...the fastest riders I personally know and I, myself, have been running this non-symmetrical tire for the past couple of years with complete success. In fact, it has outperformed any symmetrical tire I have run previously. So, call me stupid but it is working for me and that's all I really care about.
    Ken (Hornblower)

shooter
    I don't remember calling anyone stupid Ken. As I said before it was mostly questions being asked. Which is normal when you see something new or out of the norm. I'm glad it works for you. But like I said I still question the difference in the inside and outside design of the tread. Nothing wrong with asking questions. Last time I checked that's how we learn.

That's fine, Shooter. I don't remember naming you specifically as being negative. Be that as it may, what do I know without selling thousands of tires as you have? What I do know is simply this...the fastest riders I personally know and I, myself, have been running this non-symmetrical tire for the past couple of years with complete success. In fact, it has outperformed any symmetrical tire I have run previously. So, call me stupid but it is working for me and that's all I really care about.
    Ken, for the record, I wasn't being negative either, just trying to get information. You darksiders had me about convinced with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP runflat for the next tire change only for it to get discontinued and then this asymmetric tread pattern gets thrown into the mix. One would think asymmetric patterns were designed in pairs to make the pair collectively symmetric.

Pictures

Ken:

With your several years of experience with this particular tire you wouldn't happen to have a picture or two of the worn carcass! My inquisitive mind begs for a actual pic of the edge wear pattern of such a tire. I would like to compare it to the actual wear pattern of the General G-Max which exhibited edge scalloping after 30K+ miles of service. The more detailed feedback we have from all Dark Side users goes a long way in educating those on the fence!

Thanks in advance and Safe Riding

bob109

Wow, maybe we need to "clear the air" here. Apologies to all who were offended by my negative posts comment. It's not my intention to offend anyone. I called it like I saw it and maybe I am a bit sensitive to what I perceive as negative comments from people who haven't even tried the idea they're commenting on. Let me make this clear...I am NOT recommending for everyone to go out and look for asymmetrical tires. I certainly was not looking for that when I wanted to find a higher performance car tire. As I mentioned, what led to that was studying what other faster and better riders were using. Yellow Wolf, of Tail of the Dragon fame, was the first I saw running the Falken. BTW, he set the Gold Wing speed record of averaging 60mph on that run. If you've run the Dragon, you know how crazy fast that is. Later, I rode with a couple of his fast friends, Elrod and Murgie and they were recommending the Falken as well. (As some of you may know, Murgie is THE man when it comes to Darkside.) In fact, I didn't even realize it was a non-symmetrical tire until I took it to be mounted and my tire installer asked how I wanted the inside/outside oriented. Frankly, on this particular tire it probably doesn't even matter since either side works great. Maybe that is not true for other non-symmetrical tires, I don't know. At any rate, this tire works great for me in wet or dry conditions and, believe me, that's important because these guys I'm riding with slow down very little for wet conditions, maybe 10% . Anyway, with all that said, maybe we can get all our ruffled feathers back in place and continue in a friendly fashion.
    Ken (Hornblower)

shooter
    Ken when you look at the tire you are running , unless you pay close attention its not readily apparent that its asymmetrical. My comments were directed at Monks tire. There is a huge difference in the footprint left to right. I'm very interested as to how it feels. Monk is going on a trip and I'm sure he will report back when he returns. Its all good here.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Ken:

With your several years of experience with this particular tire you wouldn't happen to have a picture or two of the worn carcass! My inquisitive mind begs for a actual pic of the edge wear pattern of such a tire. I would like to compare it to the actual wear pattern of the General G-Max which exhibited edge scalloping after 30K+ miles of service. The more detailed feedback we have from all Dark Side users goes a long way in educating those on the fence!

Thanks in advance and Safe Riding

bob109
    Bob, I expect you have more experience than I do. I've only run maybe 4 different darkside tires (to the best of my recollection). I'm not even sure I can remember all of those since it goes back to when I was first running one on my Triumph Rocket III. I do remember running the Michelin Pilot Sport on that bike and later the Kumho Ecsta RF. Seems like there was another one along the way but I'm not sure. Like I've mentioned previously though, none have performed like the Falken, for me.

Anyway, unlike you, I'm simply not curious enough to cut worn-out tires apart to examine the wear or even take pictures of worn tires. I can tell you that I'm wearing the tire edges out first but that's probably due to overly-aggressive curve action. And, I don't get anywhere close to the mileage you're getting on the G-Max. Frankly, I don't care much about mileage because I'm mainly looking for grip in wet or dry conditions. I might be getting 10K miles before the edges are shot, just a guess. All considered, my Falken might not be the best choice for others but it sure works for me.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Ken when you look at the tire you are running , unless you pay close attention its not readily apparent that its asymmetrical. My comments were directed at Monks tire. There is a huge difference in the footprint left to right. I'm very interested as to how it feels. Monk is going on a trip and I'm sure he will report back when he returns. Its all good here.
    Good observation, Shooter. That's a pretty important point, I think. Maybe that's why I haven't crashed and burned yet . So, yeah, I'm not speaking for any other non-symmetrical tire although there may be other good ones out there.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I leave for Rogers next week Wednesday and hopefully will be riding 300-400 miles per day through the weekend.
    Decided to get the bike out for a 300 mile run today just to get a feel for the tire. About half of that 300 was in the mountains.

I still have to say, that it is the most UGLY tire I've ever seen.

But it pushed through the turns with ease. It was so very smooth and easy to transition with, that I found myself actually running a little harder than I intended with a new untested tire.

To tell that this tire is not made like the others I've tried ... I will have to get off the bike and look. It handled the twisties beautifully. There is night and day different between it and the Michelin Alpin. Now I'm really looking forward to the Ride In. I think this tire is going to handle the several days of riding very, very well.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128