Pirelli Centurato P1 Runflat - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pirelli Centurato P1 Runflat

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I leave for Rogers next week Wednesday and hopefully will be riding 300-400 miles per day through the weekend.
    Decided to get the bike out for a 300 mile run today just to get a feel for the tire. About half of that 300 was in the mountains.

I still have to say, that it is the most UGLY tire I've ever seen.

But it pushed through the turns with ease. It was so very smooth and easy to transition with, that I found myself actually running a little harder than I intended with a new untested tire.

To tell that this tire is not made like the others I've tried ... I will have to get off the bike and look. It handled the twisties beautifully. There is night and day different between it and the Michelin Alpin. Now I'm really looking forward to the Ride In. I think this tire is going to handle the several days of riding very, very well.
    Very glad to hear it! And as they say: "DarkSide responsibly."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Follow up report after Rogers Ride In

This tire (Pirelli Centurato P1) now has 1,700 miles of Ozark Mountain riding. I rode all of the good twisty roads between highway 7 and highway 23. For this application this tire is SWEET!!

Probably to be fair I should give the Winter Snowcontrol another try for comparison purposes. And I may do that later, but after this experience, I really don't want to.

It transitions in the S curves very, very well. Not sure if the difference between this one and the Snowcontrol is significant, but I believe there is a slight difference, with the P1 being a little better.

I did have a couple of opportunities to hammer it pretty good coming out of some tight curves and got nothing be quick smooth acceleration!

I think this one is a keeper as a runflat to run in the twisties. Only warning, don't look at the tread pattern!! It is BUTT UGLY!!
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

shooter
    Glad it worked for you Monk. Sounds like it did a good job. That's all you can ask for. Thanks for the report.

Another Follow up

At this point, I've gone through 2 Centurato P1 tires and the third has 2,400 miles on it.

My observations:

It is the best handling runflat in the twisties that I've found!! I just got back from a Darkside Ride In over in North Carolina (the roads are sweet over there). When I got back, I wanted to finish wearing out another 21 pound (Handkook) tire that I had taken off before the trip. Between the two, I could tell the difference in handling. The Pirelli is significantly better.

The bike nor myself can tell the difference between the outside or inside tread pattern. It doesn't matter, when I get on it, the tire responds with good smooth control and acceleration. No slipping in any conditions.

Now for a negative: If you look at the pictures that were posted previously in this tread, it is apparent the tire has a very nice rounded profile. It looks a lot like the profile from a motorcycle tire. I suppose that is why it handles so well. The negative part comes in with the edge tread wear. The edge of this tire is not as beefed up as a tire like the Michelin or even the Driveguard. If you live and ride mostly in a flatland area, then this may not be as much of a factor. But, I would suggest running this tire up around 35 PSI to keep those slim edges off the pavement. Believe me, running a spirited pace in the twisties will make those edges disappear rather quickly. For that purpose, I run mine up around 40 PSI.

Hope this is helpful for those that might consider this tire. I see it as a sporty twisty tire with great handling. But if you hardly ever run the twisties, then another tire like the Driveguard would probably serve you just as well.

Good luck with your choice

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Full Traxxion
    IBA # 42128

Thanks Monk!

How many miles did you get out of the two previous Pirelli's?

TIA,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Thanks Monk!

How many miles did you get out of the two previous Pirelli's?

TIA,
    Steve
    Around 5,000 ... But that was strickly running the twisties here in Arkansas. And I had to take them off because the edge was gone. The middle tread still had lots of miles left.

I don't believe it will be a high mileage tire like some get from the Michelin or Driveguard just to name a couple. But I think it will do okay under normal conditions and still do better than a motorcycle tire will under the same conditions. Plus, it handles GREAT!! which is really important when running curvy roads.

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Full Traxxion
    IBA # 42128

warning, don't look at the tread pattern!! It is BUTT UGLY!!
    Hehe I'll have to agree on that, but it sounds like it is a performer and worth taking a look at for my steel steed.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Around 5,000 ... But that was strickly running the twisties here in Arkansas. And I had to take them off because the edge was gone. The middle tread still had lots of miles left.

I don't believe it will be a high mileage tire like some get from the Michelin or Driveguard just to name a couple. But I think it will do okay under normal conditions and still do better than a motorcycle tire will under the same conditions. Plus, it handles GREAT!! which is really important when running curvy roads.
    Monk,

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS with the symmetrical tread ?

TIA

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=...e%3aall&cnt=60

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Monk,

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS with the symmetrical tread ?

TIA

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=...e%3aall&cnt=60

Yes I did ... I'm one of the few that didn't like that tire. I really can't get specific about what I didn't like? Something about they way it felt when riding the twisties?

I took that experience as a prime example of "to each their own". We are all different in how we ride and what we expect out of a tire. It is not a one shoe fits all concept. Find something you like that fits your riding style and ENJOY.

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Full Traxxion
    IBA # 42128