Is the Low Windshield an Issue? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Low Windshield an Issue?

The stock windshield is fine with a full face helmet.... if you're wearing earplugs! Wind noise is pretty harsh. I bought a Madstad last winter but haven't installed it yet. Going to try to find time & install it tonight.

Please update us on how well the madstad works. i believe i have a oem 17" and I still get buffeting and a vacuum (seems like I'm being shoved from behind).I tryed opening /closing the vent and everything in between to no avail.
    Really surprised Honda hasn't made a shield that actually works so people don't have to spend all kinds of money experimenting!!!! I will probably purchase that madstad and hope for a clean pocket of air for any long rides i do. Short rides and when i want more air ill use my fatboy minus windsheild.

The stock windshield did a great job of keeping the wind off of my belly-button.

I then bought a vented tall windshield which had quite a bit of buffeting under various conditions and then went to a Madstad.

Stock Windshield

Quote Originally Posted by stan0614 View Post
    I have a Goldwing and we want to get my wife the F6B. Is the low standard windshield a problem with wind. The marketing material says the rider is protected from wind. Is this true ? If not, is the wind manageable / tolerable at highway speeds ?
    I just purchased a 2015 F6B. Im only 5'8''. The wind hits me right in the face shield. I'm going to leave it on for now and try it on a long highway trip with speeds over 75mph. Im pretty sure I need to get a taller one.

The marketing of the F6B often shows it in urban environments with bridges and buildings, sometimes on back roads, never loaded with luggage running down the 4 lane.
    Maybe they were hoping it would sell to city folks who kept to low speeds just cruising around town.
    For low speeds the stock is fine because that type of riding is fun with low or no windshield, but that's just not reality for most of us.
    As Jayrock said, you'll need a FF helmet at highway speeds with earplugs, you won't be able to hear much from the radio as it's like sticking your head out of a car window.
    My first ~360 miles were at highway speed riding it home from the dealer, helmet was coated with bug guts by the time I got home, ordered new helmet shield and windshield pronto. Got one that is 12" taller than stock.
    The previous bike was an ST1300 which has a luxurious electronically adjustable windshield, really miss that.
    May experiment with different shields as time goes on.
    Search for "windshield" in the search bar, sit back and enjoy the read, the folks here have tried 'em all and posted the results. Not as bad as seat$, but it can add up quick if you get something you don't like.
    Replacing the shield isn't difficult. If I had it to do again I'd probably get one of those adjustable ones. Maybe next year.

I'll be the odd duck here...the stock windshield doesn't bother me. Whether on my short putt to work or on a longer run it's been fine. Definitely noisier than not having one on my VTX but it doesn't buffet my head the way others have. Can't hear the radio...haven't turned it on since I figured out how to turn it off

When I got mine,I had already read the comments on the shorty shield. I rode my bike on longer trips around my beautiful state and loved it. The look and the wind in my FF helmet. On hot days with a pair of shades I just opened the helmet visor and enjoyed the wind. I took a run up to Wisconsin and still no issue other than not really hearing the stereo.
    Then I went south through Tennessee and Alabama. The bugs were such an annoyance that I decided to pick up a Klockwerks while I was there. Bug problem solved,and when it's cool the taller windshield makes for a much better run.
    Still I miss the shorty and am thinking to just replace it for around home then for long trips or when fall/winter comes put the Klockwerks back on. Kind of a hassle and I havent done that,but my short answer would be how and when you are going to ride,whether you like the wind in your face (I do) and those things.
    I guess I really would like to have two F6Bs,that would solve my problem :-)

Personally I did not have a problem with the looks or wind

My biggest issue was having a weather radio, iPod player, Am/FM radio and all of it be useless over 40 mph. Not a windshield guy and the fairing kept most of the wind off----but I wanted the tunes. So after 2 seats, I am on my 3 windshield. Take my advice and save time experimenting--Just buy the Madstad and be done with it all.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    My biggest issue was having a weather radio, iPod player, Am/FM radio and all of it be useless over 40 mph. Not a windshield guy and the fairing kept most of the wind off----but I wanted the tunes. So after 2 seats, I am on my 3 windshield. Take my advice and save time experimenting--Just buy the Madstad and be done with it all.
    Ya... but.... what height Madstad?

11" ( or) 13" ( or) 15" ???

I know what they recommend... albeit following manufacturers recommendation for windshield size... and subsequently at times discovering that it is not adequate...

I do like my Goldwing Vstream windshield that replaced my Clearview medium recurve that replaced my stock OEM shorty.... however I think I may be assimilating into the Madstad crowd when I get my Ultimate King seat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Ya... but.... what height Madstad?

11" ( or) 13" ( or) 15" ???

I know what they recommend... albeit following manufacturers recommendation for windshield size... and subsequently at times discovering that it is not adequate...

I do like my Goldwing Vstream windshield that replaced my Clearview medium recurve that replaced my stock OEM shorty.... however I think I may be assimilating into the Madstad crowd when I get my Ultimate King seat.
    I am 6'1" and they recommend the 13" so that is what I got. I also have the Ultimate King Rider seat. Then I sent it back for an 11" and it gives me the adjustability to keep me in wind or block as much as I choose. I also need to add that the Baker hand wings get a lot of credit here, too. The 13 was just too big and ugly and ---to me at least--some wind is a part of riding a bike in the first place. Otherwise why not get a Civic?
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]