Front LED / HID Lighting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front LED / HID Lighting

Front LED / HID Lighting

I recently installed Show Chrome LED Fog Lights. Today I installed SoCal Switchbacks with the clear lens. These are so bright that now the OEM headlights look defective as they seem so dim. I guess I have to order the HID Kit for my low beams. My question is will the low beam HIDs render the high beams useless? I don't ride much at night, my main concern is to be conspicuous. Did any of you find that you had to readjust your low beams after the install?
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

I went straight to the SoCal LED High & Low Beams.
    I already had the Switchbacks and the Socal Fog lights.
    They are now all the same color temperature and look like they are supposed to.

Steve 0080 has a neat HID rig - and Hornblower has forgotten more about lighting than most people know.

Let's see if they chime in.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I recently installed Show Chrome LED Fog Lights. Today I installed SoCal Switchbacks with the clear lens. These are so bright that now the OEM headlights look defective as they seem so dim. I guess I have to order the HID Kit for my low beams. My question is will the low beam HIDs render the high beams useless? I don't ride much at night, my main concern is to be conspicuous. Did any of you find that you had to readjust your low beams after the install?
    You can go with HID's for your low beams but don't forget that LED bulbs are also now a good choice. Either way, you will need to re-adjust. Personally, I don't care much for HID's in the high beams due to the warm-up time. I have LED bulbs in both low and high and it works great. And yes, you will be conspicuous with either HID or LED.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Great lights either way you go...$$$$$ will/may determine that...yes you will need to adjust them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    You can go with HID's for your low beams but don't forget that LED bulbs are also now a good choice. Either way, you will need to re-adjust. Personally, I don't care much for HID's in the high beams due to the warm-up time. I have LED bulbs in both low and high and it works great. And yes, you will be conspicuous with either HID or LED.
    Anyone know when the LED high and low beam lights will be available? It's the end of April and I'm curious to see what the update is.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_328 View Post
    Anyone know when the LED high and low beam lights will be available? It's the end of April and I'm curious to see what the update is.
    Craig
    Which LED lights are you referring to?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Which LED lights are you referring to?
    High and Low Beam... http://socalmotorgear.com/

One of our vendors(SoCalMotoGear) was coming out with a P-N-P version of the high power FleaBay 4,800 lumen LEDs. I remember one of our members(cwjj2001) posting about testing the beta versions. I think it was the same member who was the beta tester for the Pathfinder cowl lights with the integrated eyebrow DRL/turn signal combo.

Update: Found the post by cwjj2001 for the new SoCalMotoGear LEDs:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7...l=1#post109522

COMING SOON! [NEW] GL1800/F6B LED HEADLIGHT KIT - HIGH BEAM - PLUG N PLAY

PLUG N PLAY. Simply install the included headlight ring, then twist to lock the bulb in place. It’s that simple!

Power: LED's draw about 1/2 the power compared to incandescent bulbs
    Power: 12v @2.3AMPS per bulb (stock bulbs draw about 4-5AMPS per bulb)
    HIgh Beam: 4800LM x 2
    Color Temp: 5000K

Looks like the FleaBay versions are coming with spacers and a 40% price drop.

Attachment 20503

I just received a set from SoCal and I am not completely happy.

The instructions are lacking. There are no tie wraps/cable ties provided to secure the mini ballasts. And there are no suggestions in the instructions as where to mount/secure the mini ballasts.

You need to be really careful putting the adapter ring in to the headlight housing and securing it properly. My first one fell as I was moving the bulb clamp and fell in to the headlight housing. So what should have taken an hour to install, took me another 6 hours as I had to figure out how to remove the front fairing and cowl so I could get a coat hanger in to the housing and retrieve the piece.

NOTE FOR OTHERS: Use a wire coat hanger or something similar as a guide, placing one end in to the headlight housing, and then slide the adapter around the wire and down to the housing. Secure the adapter in place before removing the wire coat hanger.

That said,

THE LIGHTS ARE AWESOMELY BRIGHT!

but the instructions still suck, and for $155 a set, a couple of cable ties should have been included.

i am sure that I will have to go back in there and rearrange how I have the right side wiring routed & secured. The left side I am comfortable with, but was getting tired towards the end and rushed a bit more than I should have.

I am interested in just how warm/hot the braided strips will get, especially if the bike is running but not moving. Might make a difference in how I reroute the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I just received a set from SoCal and I am not completely happy.

That said,

THE LIGHTS ARE AWESOMELY BRIGHT!

but the instructions still suck, and for $155 a set, a couple of cable ties should have been included.
    Did you install them as low, high or both ?