Front LED / HID Lighting - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front LED / HID Lighting

I bought both sets, high and low. they are supposed to be different bulbs for each.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I bought both sets, high and low. they are supposed to be different bulbs for each.
    They look great.

views from the other direction

Nice

Bright white on white !

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    One of our vendors(SoCalMotoGear) was coming out with a P-N-P version of the high power FleaBay 4,800 lumen LEDs. I remember one of our members(cwjj2001) posting about testing the beta versions. I think it was the same member who was the beta tester for the Pathfinder cowl lights with the integrated eyebrow DRL/turn signal combo.

Update: Found the post by cwjj2001 for the new SoCalMotoGear LEDs:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7...l=1#post109522

COMING SOON! [NEW] GL1800/F6B LED HEADLIGHT KIT - HIGH BEAM - PLUG N PLAY

PLUG N PLAY. Simply install the included headlight ring, then twist to lock the bulb in place. It’s that simple!

Power: LED's draw about 1/2 the power compared to incandescent bulbs
    Power: 12v @2.3AMPS per bulb (stock bulbs draw about 4-5AMPS per bulb)
    HIgh Beam: 4800LM x 2
    Color Temp: 5000K

Looks like the FleaBay versions are coming with spacers and a 40% price drop.

Attachment 20503
    When will they be available???

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_328 View Post
    When will they be available???
    Their website indicates Mid-May 2016 but it appears others already have them.

http://www.socalmotogear.com/HONDA-G...-p/g18ledh.htm

sign up for the notification, and they'll let you know when you can place an order. I signed up about three weeks ago, got an email monday morning, placed the order within 2 hours, and received the LEDs this afternoon.

YMMV depending on stock availability.

Just a word to the wise for anyone looking to upgrade headlights...LED bulbs have come a long way in the past couple of years. From my experience, you'll need a true lumen output of around 2500 lumens OR MORE to be satisfied. Also, while color temp is a matter of personal choice, most seem to prefer something under 6000K. Any higher than that will produce a bluish-white color. OK, so here's the problem...most ads specifying lumens and color temp are LYING! These advertisers aren't stupid. They have learned that we're shopping for those specs. So, how do you get around that? First, try to find out what LED elements are in those bulbs. Very often, they are CREE elements since CREE is a leader in the LED industry. Of course, they could be lying about that too . Anyway, if you can determine the CREE elements, go to the CREE website and find out the true specs. For example, a popular CREE element being used in these bulbs is the XHP50. Here is a link to that:

http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-a...al/XLamp-XHP50

In the specs, you'll see the MAX lumens listed. Keep in mind, that is what the element is capable of when fully driven. To improve bulb life, these elements are rarely driven to the max so don't be surprised if the actual lumen output is less than the max listed. So, again, using the XHP50 as the example, you might expect to get around 2000 lumens per element and since there are 2 elements in many of the LED bulbs, around 4000 lumens per bulb. Believe me, that's plenty of lumens to "light it up". Also, notice that the XHP50 element is offered in several color temps ranging from cool white to warm white. For me, personally, I would be hoping to find something in the 5000 to 5500K range.

Next, the bulb needs to be easy to install. That is why I prefer the passive cooling strap design and it's also helpful to find a bulb that has a separate socket where you can first install the socket and refasten the retaining spring before twist-locking the bulb in place. I should mention, at this point, a word about spacers. The stock bulb utilized an H4 adapter with a thickness of approximately 5/16". In order for the retaining spring to clamp properly, you must allow for that thickness. It's not difficult to make your own spacers but it's ideal when those spacers are supplied with the H7 bulbs.

Finally, don't be surprised in finding the beam cutoff pattern not quite as good as your original halogen bulbs. This will be the case with HID or LED bulbs. The reflector was carefully designed for the halogen bulbs so any replacement bulb won't produce quite the same pattern. It's a trade-off really. For me, the higher lumen output LED bulbs with their lower amp draw and far greater life expectancy is well worth it. Happy upgrading
    Ken (Hornblower)

The throw of the lights is most definitely different than regular halogen bulbs. The LED emitters are at the 9 & 3 o'clock position when installed, which I guess is why the beam from the headlight is pretty wide left to right, and not as much top to bottom.

You can tell the difference in the intensity of the high vs low bulbs. It almost makes it look like they are different K's from this angle:

We need to figure out how to get a set of those in the cowl lights.