Tips on traveling CHEAP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on traveling CHEAP

Tips on traveling CHEAP

Looking for tip on traveling cheap. I ride solo and usually take a weeks vacation by myself. One thing I have found is you can get a good rest at a Pilot Flying J store because they have a room with comfortable chairs you can sleep in. Share your ideas on being cheap.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

shooter
    That's interesting. I don't think we have any of those around here but maybe I haven't been paying attention. Is it like a truck stop/gas station?

yep, big truck stop chain.

Inexpensive traveling,,

I found a bed and breakfast for 20 bucks a night, Motorcycle-Travel.net..hope this helps..

Anyone seen "The Booze Traveler"?

Map out all routes to stay with FB friends whom you've never actually met!
    Bring a bottle of wine for a house warming gift and then ask where your room is!

Seriously: I spent two weeks on a GL1500 Valkyrie from Philly to Vancouver and paid for a hotel room only 2x.

Slainte,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

For free night stays with accommodating strangers (perhaps new friends)...if you really want some free sleeping (usually on a couch, sometimes a bed)...couchsurfing.org. Have used this in the past quite a few times and have never had an issue with the hosts. Just need to be clear here...you are essentially an unknown outsider asking to crash on someones couch for the evening. Be gracious, consider providing them with a favor or perform a chore (like cleaning their dishes or taking out the trash) It's best to go to the site, and set your profile up. No one that I've run across has ever asked for money and a few even allowed me to use their shower and made breakfast for me before I left. There are a few folks providing a place to sleep that are older but every one I've run across have been 35 and younger. A good resource for larger towns and cities...not many around in the middle of Nacanowhere though.

Have a buddy that hosts couch surfers. Gets some really interesting people, and a surprising amount of international traffic. When he gets visitors from Germany or France or some other country he likes to throw a small get together. Talk about cultural differences, food and travel, and pronunciation of american-bastardized words. And on the flip side, he travels Europe and south america on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Looking for tip on traveling cheap. I ride solo and usually take a weeks vacation by myself. One thing I have found is you can get a good rest at a Pilot Flying J store because they have a room with comfortable chairs you can sleep in. Share your ideas on being cheap.
    I see yer not to far from me.Like to ride with other F6B,,er,s. Looks like yer near Fremount

Awesome thread. I never heard of couchsurfing.net! What a concept! The only one I heard of is airbnb.com. Good prices and in someones home.

I have never used it but have been tempted a couple of times.
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

as a vet I have access to "Armed Forces vacation club". https://www.afvclub.com/. They have condos around the world for @ $300 for 7 nights. Full kitchen, washer dryer, separate bedrooms and pull out couch. Had some friends visit for the weekend, they bought the food. So it cost me less than $45/night for some nice digs. Last year for vaca, I went to TN and stayed in a nice condo in Fairfield Glade. Day trips to the Dragon, Cherehola, Kentucky, Alabama, and little bit of GA. This year I may try the Nashville location and combine with our Arkansas get together.