Tips on traveling CHEAP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on traveling CHEAP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Anyone seen "The Booze Traveler"?

Map out all routes to stay with FB friends whom you've never actually met!
    Bring a bottle of wine for a house warming gift and then ask where your room is!

Seriously: I spent two weeks on a GL1500 Valkyrie from Philly to Vancouver and paid for a hotel room only 2x.

Slainte,
    Steve
    I tried to tell that other Florida boy.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    ...I tried to tell that other Florida boy.
    Oh I'll stop by all right, with booze, and if the chef in the house does not desire to cook, we're going out for dinner and it's on me.
    And planned trips, I don't arrive unannounced....but I might swing by Shooter's place someday without prior warning, white flag ready, of course.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Interesting thread, lot's of recourses I was not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Looking for tip on traveling cheap. I ride solo and usually take a weeks vacation by myself. One thing I have found is you can get a good rest at a Pilot Flying J store because they have a room with comfortable chairs you can sleep in. Share your ideas on being cheap.
    I see yer not to far from me.Like to ride with other F6B,,er,s. Looks like yer near Fremount

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    I see yer not to far from me.Like to ride with other F6B,,er,s. Looks like yer near Fremount
    I'm in Rossford which is like a suburb of Toledo. I wouldn't mind getting together some weekend day. Looks like Tiffin might be about half way for us.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Sometimes me or when I am with a bud we stay at the Lowes or Home Depot hotel.I find a decent size portable building in a Lowes or Home Depot parking lot pull my bike in after closing then a hasp and 4 wood screws on the inside and roll out sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by robrm250 View Post
    Sometimes me or when I am with a bud we stay at the Lowes or Home Depot hotel.I find a decent size portable building in a Lowes or Home Depot parking lot pull my bike in after closing then a hasp and 4 wood screws on the inside and roll out sleeping bag.
    Very genius. I like that.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

This has been discussed by a few of my co-workers as they are older and getting ready to retire. Grab your bedroll and go

http://boondocking.org/

Quote Originally Posted by robrm250 View Post
    Be careful doing that. My wife works for Lowes and if the catch you they will prosecute you. To many times they have found things inside, like drugs.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

good thread. I happen to be trucker and know first hand that any and all truck stops (flying J, TA, Pilot, and petro) these are the big 4. all have showers. If you get 50 gallons of fuel, you get a shower free. ( not on a bike) or 13 bucks if u just want to use one. but, I save mine for when I go on bike trips, and I get free showers. They also have laundry, and drivers rooms, that people do tend to "nap" in. Trucks stops are good if in good areas.

I usualy bring a tent with me and most rv parks will take in a biker for the night, and there are lots of camp grounds out there. 5-10 bucks, you have a place to stay for the evening. most even have showers.

Hotel rooms, well, if it comes down to it, I find a hotel/motel mom and pop type place. 25-30 bucks for a bed, and a shower, and sometimes a pool. this is not a every night option.

Craigslist works at times to, however, you never know what your walking into. so be aware.

I have even stopped at rest areas and slept on a picnic table in the back. no one really bothers you. not the most comfy, but hey, if your where the weather is nice, who cares.

and bed and breaksfast places, always good. cheap, easy, and you meet some cool people.