Tips on traveling CHEAP - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips on traveling CHEAP

Quote Originally Posted by robrm250 View Post
    Sometimes me or when I am with a bud we stay at the Lowes or Home Depot hotel.I find a decent size portable building in a Lowes or Home Depot parking lot pull my bike in after closing then a hasp and 4 wood screws on the inside and roll out sleeping bag.
    Never thought of that. Bet, little wife would not go for that, but I been to VN and we are talking major Hotel here !!!
    We have been desperate late at night though, so, it's now on our bucket list (with wife approval).
    Education is POWER !!

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    as a vet I have access to "Armed Forces vacation club". https://www.afvclub.com/. They have condos around the world for @ $300 for 7 nights. Full kitchen, washer dryer, separate bedrooms and pull out couch. Had some friends visit for the weekend, they bought the food. So it cost me less than $45/night for some nice digs. Last year for vaca, I went to TN and stayed in a nice condo in Fairfield Glade. Day trips to the Dragon, Cherehola, Kentucky, Alabama, and little bit of GA. This year I may try the Nashville location and combine with our Arkansas get together.
    WOW !! Good to know.
    Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I travel on the bike a lot in the summer (school teacher) and have found several ways to save money. I will hit up a friend or family when available. I was on the road a couple of summers ago for six weeks and avoided high dollar hotels by doing this. NO reservations, when I get close to my final destination for the day I stop and use the internet to find the cheapest hotels in the area. Once I find one I negotiate with the clerk (works great with mom and pop hotels). Most nights during the week I was able to lower the original rate. Weekends are more difficult. I also pull my trailer sometimes and take some efficient camping gear. I have found RV parks will some times let you through up your tent for as little as $5 per night, I never paid more than $20 to put up the tent and I stayed in some very nice RV parks with great showers, laundry and some even had grill/bars on site for food and drink. What I found most interesting is older retired RV'ers love to talk. I have been offered and given many free meals and drinks in my travels and enjoyed the conversations. The last trick I try while trying to make a deal with a hotel is I ask for the government rate. I am an OSHA instructor and I also have a teacher ID.When the hotel has a government rate it can be as much as 1/3 off. They always say you need an ID but have always accepted mine. These things save me a bunch every summer and have allowed me to meet many interesting people.

Quote Originally Posted by GNW View Post
    Never thought of that. Bet, little wife would not go for that, but I been to VN and we are talking major Hotel here !!!
    We have been desperate late at night though, so, it's now on our bucket list (with wife approval).
    Education is POWER !!
    Never would do it with the wife just a couple cheapskate riding buds late at night passing thru.We did have a cop in Oklahoma see us then check us out but it was raining and 2 guys on goldwings did not look too menacing he just told us leave it like we found it.

Last year I rode west and found I could get a good rest at Pilot Flying J truck stops. They have a room with comfortable chairs and a TV that I actually slept about 6 hours in.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

If anyone is in my area this summer, I have a place to stay, beer, bonfire and I might even make you breakfast before you leave. lol
    Number is on the list.

good thread. I happen to be trucker and know first hand that any and all truck stops (flying J, TA, Pilot, and petro) these are the big 4. all have showers. If you get 50 gallons of fuel, you get a shower free. ( not on a bike) or 13 bucks if u just want to use one. but, I save mine for when I go on bike trips, and I get free showers. They also have laundry, and drivers rooms, that people do tend to "nap" in. Trucks stops are good if in good areas.

I usualy bring a tent with me and most rv parks will take in a biker for the night, and there are lots of camp grounds out there. 5-10 bucks, you have a place to stay for the evening. most even have showers.

Hotel rooms, well, if it comes down to it, I find a hotel/motel mom and pop type place. 25-30 bucks for a bed, and a shower, and sometimes a pool. this is not a every night option.

Craigslist works at times to, however, you never know what your walking into. so be aware.

I have even stopped at rest areas and slept on a picnic table in the back. no one really bothers you. not the most comfy, but hey, if your where the weather is nice, who cares.

and bed and breaksfast places, always good. cheap, easy, and you meet some cool people.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrdr View Post
    I found a bed and breakfast for 20 bucks a night, Motorcycle-Travel.net..hope this helps..

Thanks for posting this up, could be a new member in the Vancouver area soon!!