Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear brake "thud" since recall work performed

Anyone feel a difference in their rear brake since the recall work?
    Mine is definitely different, more responsive (but yes, there is new fluid).

What has me intrigued though, is when I step on the brake more firmly than gradually, I feel a "thud" in the rear area.
    If I go gradually, no thud.
    Is that air in the system working its way through?
    I know it wasn't there before the recall work.

I am going to check all fasteners and fittings tomorrow in the light.

Open to ideas so when I get back to the dealer, I can have an intelligent conversation.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Anyone feel a difference in their rear brake since the recall work?
    Mine is definitely different, more responsive (but yes, there is new fluid).

What has me intrigued though, is when I step on the brake more firmly than gradually, I feel a "thud" in the rear area.
    If I go gradually, no thud.
    Is that air in the system working its way through?
    I know it wasn't there before the recall work.

I am going to check all fasteners and fittings tomorrow in the light.

Open to ideas so when I get back to the dealer, I can have an intelligent conversation.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Are you sure that you are not running over any of your Harley parts in the driveway

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Are you sure that you are not running over any of your Harley parts in the driveway
    So many smart-azz comments just waiting in the wings....they'll wait until the Rally.
    Speaking of Wings - you get an F6B yet?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    53 it does sound kinda like you may have something loose. Smart to check it. I don't know what they could have left loose on moving parts though. They shouldn't have had a caliper loose. Could be a piston sticking on the caliper. I've seen those act like that. Like you talked about I checked all my stuff the next day just in case. I don't trust anybody. Oh by the way. I don't think air in the system would act like that. A low pedal or lack of braking would be more the result of air.

shooter
    Sorry about those comments Tony made about Saorla. Totally unprofessional and unnecessary. I'll speak to him about it. Things like that need not happen on this forum. Can't believe he went there.

GaTeach
    My hero...

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    My hero...

hahaha steve they just love you here I swear lol don't worry I get the vtwin rumble brother, tell the haters

My roadie that I miss so much!!! Gonna be doing a pro street build from a road star coming soon.

4 612_zpsiz8qd7ce.jpgGrant_zpszrmb0bcp.jpg20150917_181307.jpg

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    hahaha steve they just love you here I swear lol don't worry I get the vtwin rumble brother, tell the haters

My roadie that I miss so much!!! Gonna be doing a pro street build from a road star coming soon.

Attachment 20078Attachment 20079Attachment 20080

Grant
    It's a good thing I'm a fully trained Jedi - only using my "moderator" powers for good, not evil......
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    If you still have your bike and it has a center stand; put it up on it and get it in gear (running) and then have someone pull in the clutch and step on the rear brake; while you're looking underneath near the rear wheel/caliper assembly. Maybe that'll help you pinpoint the problem...
    Brilliant idea! Thanks. When it quits raining.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    After having the recall done, and having read this post I went out to experiment. At moderate speeds (40-50 kph) if I apply the rear brake sharply I notice a slight "thump" as the decceleration actuates the front brake through the link system. The thump comes from the front, but can almost be felt through the brake pedal. I would presume this was always the case, just didn't notice as I didn't go looking for it... and I don't use the brakes in that manner under normal riding.
    I don't use my brakes that way either - normally - but the test pilot in me came out after someone else did maintenance and that's when I noticed it.
    I'll go review where I felt it from - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    If you have floating rotors check to see that the rotor is not loose on its hub. Floating rotors do just as implied. They float on the hub and are attached by small puck like discs ,about the size of a quarter. If these pucks wear and get loose the rotor can actually rattle or thump on the hub. Just a thought.
    I would hope with 18k on the odo and still plenty of wear left on the initial brake pads, I haven't been killing my pucks enough to wear them as you noted, but it's definitely worth looking at! Thanks.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

I'm fairly certain 53 does a F.O.D. walk down of his driveway to prevent such occurrences...