windshield for rain - Madstad and others - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windshield for rain - Madstad and others

Davidk, when I extend my 11" Madstad to its full height, the adjustable portion of the windshield is as close to the same angle of the fixed portion of the windshield as I can make it. The air (and rain) seems to go right over my head. Last weekend I tried pushing the windshield forward slightly (closer to 90 degrees) to see what it would do. I noticed that I could hear and feel a lot more wind. Could it be the angle of your windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock View Post
    Davidk, when I extend my 11" Madstad to its full height, the adjustable portion of the windshield is as close to the same angle of the fixed portion of the windshield as I can make it. The air (and rain) seems to go right over my head. Last weekend I tried pushing the windshield forward slightly (closer to 90 degrees) to see what it would do. I noticed that I could hear and feel a lot more wind. Could it be the angle of your windshield?
    It could be the angle. I tried several angles and didn't feel much of a difference between them. I will keep trying
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Are you the gent that is meeting Shooter in MO?
    Yes, but "gent" is way too kind.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Yes, but "gent" is way too kind.
    So you are the schmuck that i have to ride to AR with? Is that better??
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

i saw the great reviews also which is why I purchased it. It has a lot to do with rider size and shield height. Taller riders with taller shields may be different. The taller shields may push a larger portion of the air upward? It may also be personal tolerance for wind
    Yes, and the vendor(s) recommendations for sizing often don't help either, when you are trying to determine what will work for you.

Take for instance Ultimate seats. They say that the Mid Rider is their main seat that will fit most; but we are finding out from testimony on the forum that the King seat fits more riders better; despite sizing measurements that Ultimate seats recommends. Hence is why I have flipped the coin towards the purchase of a King seat, rather than the Mid Rider seat size.

Windshields are seemingly a crap shoot as well sometimes... as I am discovering with a second purchase of an aftermarket windshield.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I am 5'4". I purchased the tall OEM windshield and am quite pleased with it for riding, but since I see through it, not over it, when it rains it gets covered with water. Since rain still hits my face, I need to use the shield on my helmet-- I normally ride without using the helmet shield. The combination of water on the helmet shield and windshield completely blinds me.

Seems to me that the only way to have a chance of seeing in the rain is to look over the windshield instead of through it. I purchased the 11" Madstad, and installed it this morn. I rode for about 90 minutes and tried it low, medium and high and at various angles. All of them leave me with quite a bit of wind in my face and more highway buffeting than what I had with my tall OEM windshield. I doubt that I would want to ride on the highway for an hour or more. I need a ride in the rain solution if I am to ride the 6 hours to the rally.

Suggestions?

When in the rain, I raise the shield as high as it will go and tilt it forward as far as it will go and speed up!!! I stay dry till I slow down!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    When in the rain, I raise the shield as high as it will go and tilt it forward as far as it will go and speed up!!! I stay dry till I slow down!
    +1
    Seadog and I rode from Detroit to Cleveland last summer, it rained the whole time, my 11" Madstad kept me dry.
    My gloves were a bit wet, though.

So you are the schmuck that i have to ride to AR with? Is that better??
    That sounds more like what I'm used to hearing...ya, as long as I get there in one piece....and dry we hope.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Bagger Shield with the 22" section on keeps us both dry.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Rain Shedding

Just a side note.
    The F4 Customs windshield has a coating that is baked into the shield and they shed rain extremely well. If you want to use Rain X you can but you will not need it.