Sonic - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sonic

Yep, traveled through California last year for about 10 days. Can't even count how many times we wound up in an In n Out eating everything Animal style.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Are you familiar with their "Secret Menu"?
    http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...cret-menu.html

These will actually ring up on your receipt as ordered!
    I am, it's still not worth the effort to me. I'm utterly amazed how busy they are.

Here in NC, you can probably throw a rock in any direction and it will hit a half dozen Sonics.

They're not bad. I'll second the Salted Caramel shakes. Most the other shakes are almost as great. The burgers are on the better side of average (certainly better than the tripe they're shoveling down at Hardee's these days.) The hot dogs are...well....ok they're hot dogs. Not much you can do to ruin a hot dog....not much you can do to make them remarkable, either.

One could do a lot worse in choosing a lunch spot....but they're nothing terribly special though, either. Not being a native, perhaps it's a local thing that I don't quite grasp. (Kind of like White Castles up north or MaidRites in Iowa.....if you're not a local, just give up because you'll never understand).

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    Not being a native, perhaps it's a local thing that I don't quite grasp. (Kind of like White Castles up north or MaidRites in Iowa.....if you're not a local, just give up because you'll never understand).
    Most likely so, It's like Dick's drive ins in Seattle...Not sure what the big deal is, I prefer Burgerville if I have the option. Locally sourced stuff products, probably the healthiest burger chain I've been to. To each there own. Sonic is fairly new in my home locality and it
    s pretty busy, here in my tenure in SoCal there is just to many awesome places to go to vs either Inn-n-Out or Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    ......here in my tenure in SoCal there is just to many awesome places to go to vs either Inn-n-Out or Sonic

Well....there's always DelTaco

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    Well....there's always DelTaco

....sT
    Come on, at least try Roberto's or Tacos El Gordo's

Yeah...the expansion locations for food chains are going crazy.

1998 saw the opening of the first Chik-fila store (not in a mall) appear here in Austin. People flocked to it like crazy for nearly 3 months straight. They opened up 6 more stores over 2 years because of the hype.
    2003 Krispy Kreme moved to town...yanks that had transferred down for jobs went crazy and there were car lines so bad at the 2 initial locations that there was a police presence nearly 14 hours a day for 8 months because of the traffic issues.
    2011 P Terrys showed up...a few months of heavy traffic around those places occurred during lunch and dinner time.
    2013 In-n-Out Burger dropped a location right on Airport Blvd. Typical lines from open to close were about a 1 hr average wait, caused traffic problems and police again came out in shifts to manage exits and lights near the store. That lasted about 3 months before the novelty wore off and people realized that between Five Guys, In-n-Out, P Terrys, Mighty Fine and Steak and Shake burger joints...they all pretty much tasted the same and had special "hidden menus" which were nearly identical...save for the In-N-Out which boasts up to a 10x10 burger.

Sonic is great for drinks and their daily specials (like half off shakes after 6pm, or half priced burgers on Tuesdays, etc). We don't make a habit of eating there though.

I suspect the next big thing to cause traffic hell would be the opening of an actual White Castle (from the north) or Krystals (from the southeast) location opening up here since to date they haven't made it into Austin.

Once they open another Sonic in the area, things should get back close to normal. In the meantime, if you have kids or grandkids that need money, we had a few enterprising youths provide carhop service for a fee when in-n-out opened and they made pretty good money running up, waiting in line, ordering food and bringing it out to those waiting on the streets (found out about it on the news). These 12 yo boys were making between 5 and 10 dollars a car depending on what was ordered.

Krispy Kreme opened near here in the Providence area and has closed since. The novelty wore off so much that I guess people stuck to the old local places. There's a Five Guys up the road along with the BK's, McD's, Wendy's, and the mom and pop's. I hope they continue to do well. Business breeds business, but I'm still amazed at what people do. Still, last night after my ride, the line was still there, but not as long.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Still, last night after my ride, .

you went for a ride?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I would eat a pack of nabs from the gas station before I would stand in line for an hour to eat fast food.

Other than Sonic's Salted Caramel Shake, I refuse to eat fast food other than Chic-Fil-A anyway. They are always clean, friendly, and the food is mostly consistent. And down here around Atlanta there's always someone out front protesting with funny signs. So there's that. Only problem is if I'm traveling on Sunday I'm screwed. Nabs it is.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    you went for a ride?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
    You've inspired him Teach. He's trying to catch up. Besides I think he's wanting one of those caramel shakes.