The dreaded drone...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded drone...

The dreaded drone...

I got my recall work done a couple of weeks ago, and my neighbor gave me a ride home from the dealer on drop-off day. He drives a Dodge Charger with a Hemi in it, and I noticed a hum as we drove back home. Of course the thing roared when he stepped on it, but when we were cruising along there was definitely a persistent hum as we road along. It never was annoying, just present.

Fast forward to this weekend... I finally installed a set of TBR pipes. I was hesitant to grab ANY aftermarket pipes, because I knew that the Torq Loopz installation process seemed to be a bit much for me, BUT I didn't want to get trapped with a set of pipes that would "drive me bonkers with the droning". Nevertheless, I decided to roll the dice and buy a set.

Well, I LOVE THE PIPES!!! The sound is as advertised. It sounds like a race car!!! When I got out on the highway, I listened for the dreaded drone and you know what I heard? I heard the same hum that I heard while riding in my neighbor's Hemi-powered Dodge Charger! FAR from an intolerable, giant, bumblebee... Just the same persistent hum that you hear when cruising in a car with a lot of grunt under the hood.. It's obviously a tad louder since the sound has to travel through much more mass to get to your ears when in a car with the windows up than through a full face (or less) helmet. Also, the sound is clearly behind you... just like the sound coming from the Charger and others.

Personally, I don't know why this has caused such a stir. Every muscle car that I've been in sounds like this. Yes, it's very different from the quiet sound of a stock F6B, but IMHO, it's FAR from maddening. Drivers of Mustangs, Chargers, Corvettes etc. have been experiencing this sound for years... AND LOVE IT!!! I recognized it immediately for what it was, and it didn't bother me. It actually was a good feeling to know that my bike was making sound out of the pipes that others could really hear for a change. It also sounds wicked when going through tunnels and underpasses!!!! I guess the change from the stock pipes' ability to seriously dampen the V6 is a bit much for some.

Oh well... to each his/her own.

Ride safe and enjoy YOUR preferred bike sound!!

I can say that the more I use the bike with the full face helmet, the less it's bugging me. I also have no other choice, because a half helmet on the highways doesn't cut it on longer rides, so there's some of that in the equation for me. I'm happy to know the sound I'm hearing is somewhat normal.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    I got my recall work done a couple of weeks ago, and my neighbor gave me a ride home from the dealer on drop-off day. He drives a Dodge Charger with a Hemi in it, and I noticed a hum as we drove back home. Of course the thing roared when he stepped on it, but when we were cruising along there was definitely a persistent hum as we road along. It never was annoying, just present.

Fast forward to this weekend... I finally installed a set of TBR pipes. I was hesitant to grab ANY aftermarket pipes, because I knew that the Torq Loopz installation process seemed to be a bit much for me, BUT I didn't want to get trapped with a set of pipes that would "drive me bonkers with the droning". Nevertheless, I decided to roll the dice and buy a set.

Well, I LOVE THE PIPES!!! The sound is as advertised. It sounds like a race car!!! When I got out on the highway, I listened for the dreaded drone and you know what I heard? I heard the same hum that I heard while riding in my neighbor's Hemi-powered Dodge Charger! FAR from an intolerable, giant, bumblebee... Just the same persistent hum that you hear when cruising in a car with a lot of grunt under the hood.. It's obviously a tad louder since the sound has to travel through much more mass to get to your ears when in a car with the windows up than through a full face (or less) helmet. Also, the sound is clearly behind you... just like the sound coming from the Charger and others.

Personally, I don't know why this has caused such a stir. Every muscle car that I've been in sounds like this. Yes, it's very different from the quiet sound of a stock F6B, but IMHO, it's FAR from maddening. Drivers of Mustangs, Chargers, Corvettes etc. have been experiencing this sound for years... AND LOVE IT!!! I recognized it immediately for what it was, and it didn't bother me. It actually was a good feeling to know that my bike was making sound out of the pipes that others could really hear for a change. It also sounds wicked when going through tunnels and underpasses!!!! I guess the change from the stock pipes' ability to seriously dampen the V6 is a bit much for some.

Oh well... to each his/her own.

Ride safe and enjoy YOUR preferred bike sound!!
    +1

+2

There are a few bikes out there that will make you pull your hair out, but normally the B is not one of them!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

[/I]

I don't have TBR pipes, but run the Cobra 6-2-6,s which have a slight "drone" also..It has never been an issue for me since day one and I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about with aftermarket pipes...Heck any motor exhaust makes some noise....JMHO

The only difference with me is I have stock 2015 exhaust.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I'd wish I'd of tried to experience this drone for myself first before installing torq loopz with my TBR exhaust, I don't think this drone would've bothered me. But I got the torq loopz at such a good price I thought why not. Would've saved me several headaches if I'd of just done the exhaust alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I'd wish I'd of tried to experience this drone for myself first before installing torq loopz with my TBR exhaust, I don't think this drone would've bothered me. But I got the torq loopz at such a good price I thought why not. Would've saved me several headaches if I'd of just done the exhaust alone.
    Knowing what you know now, would you do the torq loopz install again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Knowing what you know now, would you do the torq loopz install again?
    Knowing what I know now, I would initially do only the exhaust and experience the drone 1st hand and if it bothered me, THEN do the torq loopz.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I would initially do only the exhaust and experience the drone 1st hand and if it bothered me, THEN do the torq loopz.
    Sounds like a reasonable approach to me
    Ken (Hornblower)