THOUGHTS OF MY NEW F6B

Thread: THOUGHTS OF MY NEW F6B

THOUGHTS OF MY NEW F6B

Finally got my LRS mounted and was able to ride enough to get a real feel for my bike. I got the 14" shield and it looks and works well. The bike rides and handles great. It seems to be a real head-turner while I'm riding. The only problem I seem to be having is that I am having to reach for the handle bars and it is causing the shoulder and neck fatigue. Some of this is because I'm 6'2" and have the ultimate king seat that sets me 1" further back. I have read on the forum that some guys have went the helibars for this reason. I have MBL risers installed but don't help enough. I have three questions about helibars.
    (1) will the helibars mount with the MBL risers?
    (2) how do you get enough slack in the various cables and lines to allow for the adjustments with the bars?
    (3) do the helibars make enough positive difference to justify the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    Finally got my LRS mounted and was able to ride enough to get a real feel for my bike. I got the 14" shield and it looks and works well. The bike rides and handles great. It seems to be a real head-turner while I'm riding. The only problem I seem to be having is that I am having to reach for the handle bars and it is causing the shoulder and neck fatigue. Some of this is because I'm 6'2" and have the ultimate king seat that sets me 1" further back. I have read on the forum that some guys have went the helibars for this reason. I have MBL risers installed but don't help enough. I have three questions about helibars.
    (2) how do you get enough slack in the various cables and lines to allow for the adjustments with the bars?
    1) yes some here have mounted the Helibars with the risers.
    2) The helibars come with adapters to change the angle of the clutch and brake lines allowing for enough slack.
    3)YES

For me, I'm convinced it wasn't the reach that was causing the discomfort you are referring to. It was the grip angle. The angle of the stock bars/grips, feel natural enough. But when I was able to adjust the angle with the Helibars, all, did I say all? yes all the discomfort disappeared.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    The Helibars will mount with the MBL risers, but NOT the standard MBLs. They will only work with the WIDE MBL risers.
    I tried with the standard width MBLs, and because they move the grips in, the Helibars mounting bracket points are no longer parallel....this is not a factor with the Wide MBLs, as the grip width remains the same as the OEM bars.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne06 View Post
    The Helibars will mount with the MBL risers, but NOT the standard MBLs. They will only work with the WIDE MBL risers.
    I tried with the standard width MBLs, and because they move the grips in, the Helibars mounting bracket points are no longer parallel....this is not a factor with the Wide MBLs, as the grip width remains the same as the OEM bars.
    Thanks for advice. It helps a lot. luckily I did install the wide risers.

Also Airborne06, thanks for your help. This is all great information. I love the bike, I just need to make it comfortable for me. It took awhile to get my previous 2008 Goldwing just right. I'm trying to avoid some of the trial and error involved.

One more bit: Get your seat established before doing windscreens and handlebars.
    These pages are full of "trial and error" after the seat became replaceable and then another windscreen....

Rough order of events:
    1. Seat - put your butt where it's comfortable for your legs controlling the bike while stopped and underway.
    2. Pegs/mini-drops whatever makes your feet comfy given your seat choice.
    3. Now that you have a good sitting position, windscreen/handlebars.

Happy accessorizing!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce