Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This weekend I'm going to pull one Baffle out of each side. It's quite possible this could generate some sound characteristics which could cancel or change resonance. Maybe left side lower, right side upper, left inner, right outer, etc. More likely than not, my scoot will be dressed in an OEM exhaust outfit by Monday. My next post could be in the Merchandise For Sale Forum :-}

This past Monday I had the fortune and opportunity to ride kdelders bike (kevin), and he has a very good tone to his Cobra 6-2-6 pipes. He has baffles in 2 pipes on each side, and the one pipes that does NOT have the baffle in it...on each side...is the longest pipe. So, look at your pipes...find the one that is longest on each side, remove the baffle from that ONE...on each side, and the sound is pretty darn good.

Removing one baffle in each Cobra pipe/Cobra install thread

Is this a good idea???Seems to me it would present uneven back pressure issues in the engine exhaust system and could lead to motor/valve issues down the road...I am no mechanic , but maybe someone should question this issue with Cobra exhaust people...I would love the nasty drone to go away with my 6-2-6 pipes and will probably go back to stock this next spring if no one can fine a solution..Running without baffles is way to loud for me...I will plan to call Cobra tomorrow and ask the question of one baffle out on each side and see what they say......

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Is this a good idea???Seems to me it would present uneven back pressure issues in the engine exhaust system and could lead to motor/valve issues down the road...I am no mechanic , but maybe someone should question this issue with Cobra exhaust people...I would love the nasty drone to go away with my 6-2-6 pipes and will probably go back to stock this next spring if no one can fine a solution..Running without baffles is way to loud for me...I will plan to call Cobra tomorrow and ask the question of one baffle out on each side and see what they say......
    Please understand that it is with great respect...for a 74 year old rider...that I address this and say that there will be NO problem in removing one, two, or all three baffles, to get the coorect level of sound...lack of drone...for your bike. The baffles are located far down stream of the exhaust collecvtor, which in itself is down stream of the header-pipes, which have the O2 sensor in them. If we were talking about altering a header pipe, or dumping the exhaust by way of a header pipe, then that would relate to your concerns. But given how far down stream the baffles are, in relation to the engine and valves, there will be no problems here.

How does one remove these baffles??? As noted I have been riding for many years, some bikes with stock pipes, some without, but never had this nauseating drone sound before. Don't remember if my Valkyrie Cobra pipes had baffles or not, but they were straight 6 into 6, not like the current ones for the F6B. I really like the looks of these pipes and the sound is okay when the speeds are under 50 or so, but as said by some at freeway speeds, they can really get obnoxious. I might try the baffle thing if not a big deal, otherwise I will wait until spring and have the dealer do it, or return to the stockers unless I get used to the drone by next spring.....Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    How does one remove these baffles??? As noted I have been riding for many years, some bikes with stock pipes, some without, but never had this nauseating drone sound before. Don't remember if my Valkyrie Cobra pipes had baffles or not, but they were straight 6 into 6, not like the current ones for the F6B. I really like the looks of these pipes and the sound is okay when the speeds are under 50 or so, but as said by some at freeway speeds, they can really get obnoxious. I might try the baffle thing if not a big deal, otherwise I will wait until spring and have the dealer do it, or return to the stockers unless I get used to the drone by next spring.....Thanks for the response
    Removing the baffles is really easy. It's one screw, reach in the end of the pipe with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the baffle out.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I talked with Mike at Cobra this afternoon and he assured me they are going to look into the drone issue with the 6-2-6 pipes and see if they can duplicate the noise issue and try to find a possible solution...I will try removing one of the baffles after I talk with them again in a week to see if this makes any difference..I am going to hold up on the baffle until the guy at Cobra has a chance to discuss this with the engineers and then go from there....Hopefully they can find a solution as this drone noise at highway speeds is killing my ears......

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    This past Monday I had the fortune and opportunity to ride kdelders bike (kevin), and he has a very good tone to his Cobra 6-2-6 pipes. He has baffles in 2 pipes on each side, and the one pipes that does NOT have the baffle in it...on each side...is the longest pipe. So, look at your pipes...find the one that is longest on each side, remove the baffle from that ONE...on each side, and the sound is pretty darn good.
    How did you like the sound?
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible

Quote Originally Posted by CobraUSA View Post
    How did you like the sound?

Cobra, I liked the sound, and while I did NOT take the bike out onto the highway and run it at highway speeds for a long period of time, I think that Kevins' bike has little to no drone to it. On my own F6B, as a temporary solution...while I wait for this Winter to come...and by then most aftermarket manufacturers will have their final products for the F6B available with no wait-list...I went ahead and drilled my OEM exhaust, and after some fine tuning, I have little to no drone, and my pipes sound as good as any Cobra, Rush, or Torqmaster pipes I have heard.

But...before all the wise-crackers on here pipe up (pun intended), my hearing has been seriously affected by being hit with a lightning strike on the helmet, on 9-5-13. So with blown out ear drums, I don't hear as well as most people do. However, I can still hear THE drone...at highway speeds, for longer distances, if I intentionaly make my exhaust drone. I don't want to do that...intentionally...that is why I have it fine tuned (again, pun inteded)

To be honest with you, I know how to fix the drone problem on the new 6-2-6 pipes, but...I contacted Cobra in a PM, and the response was to blow me off, so I am keeping my secret fix close to the vest, and sharing it only with

And I don't even drink !

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Cobra, I liked the sound, and while I did NOT take the bike out onto the highway and run it at highway speeds for a long period of time, I think that Kevins' bike has little to no drone to it. On my own F6B, as a temporary solution...while I wait for this Winter to come...and by then most aftermarket manufacturers will have their final products for the F6B available with no wait-list...I went ahead and drilled my OEM exhaust, and after some fine tuning, I have little to no drone, and my pipes sound as good as any Cobra, Rush, or Torqmaster pipes I have heard.

But...before all the wise-crackers on here pipe up (pun intended), my hearing has been seriously affected by being hit with a lightning strike on the helmet, on 9-5-13. So with blown out ear drums, I don't hear as well as most people do. However, I can still hear THE drone...at highway speeds, for longer distances, if I intentionaly make my exhaust drone. I don't want to do that...intentionally...that is why I have it fine tuned (again, pun inteded)

To be honest with you, I know how to fix the drone problem on the new 6-2-6 pipes, but...I contacted Cobra in a PM, and the response was to blow me off, so I am keeping my secret fix close to the vest, and sharing it only with

And I don't even drink !
    Hey Miles,

I didn't intentionally "blow you off". It is just a little difficult to be on multiple forums at all times and remember to check PM's. Anyways, I get tons of PM's regarding free exhaust systems and if I were to give everyone who asked what they wanted, we wouldn't sell anything. I myself am an enthusiast, just like you so I know where you were coming from, but I can't just give stuff away.

Thanks,
    Dustin
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible