GPS Power Supply - to switch or not to switch?

Thread: GPS Power Supply - to switch or not to switch?

GPS Power Supply - to switch or not to switch?

Will be installing my GPS on my F6B soon and am waffling about installing on a switched power supply or none switched as in directly to the battery.
    Any advise?

Mine is powered by the same accessory outlet and circuit of the left fairing. It's switched. The GPS will automatically power down when the power is removed unless I press a button to ignore and then it would be running on it's own internal battery until the switched power is on again.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I tried switched at first but now use full time power. You have to turn of the unit at the end of the day. However it does not run a battery down if left on overnight. This was much more easy for me than remembering to turn on the internal battery every time I turned off the key. Turning off was especially troublesome when following a pre made route. Also if you want to save a track you need full time power so the day will be one track rather than several starting new each time it turns off. Additionally I think most Garmins only store 20 or so tracks before they disappear and I really like looking back and seeing where I've been in the last several days.

It is easy enough to have both supplies available so as to change back and forth and decide which you like best. I do think a dedicated supply is important so it does not make you lose somethin else if it blows a fuse or something else does not knock out your GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Mine is powered by the same accessory outlet and circuit of the left fairing. It's switched. The GPS will automatically power down when the power is removed unless I press a button to ignore and then it would be running on it's own internal battery until the switched power is on again.
    Mine is switched and I like it that way. My radar detector, located on the other side of the handle bar, is not switched and I have to constantly remember to shut it off and not drained the battery.

Install it with switched power. If you need to use it when the bike is off, it can be used exclusively with it's internal battery.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Will be installing my GPS on my F6B soon and am waffling about installing on a switched power supply or none switched as in directly to the battery.
    Any advise?
    On an accessory like that, I would definitely have switched power. If you need to use the GPS when the Wing is not running, be sure it has power when the key is in the "on" and "accessory" positions.

Several say use the switched supply but do not say why they would do that. Interested if I'm missing something. The only advantage I see is you will not forget and leave the GPS on which would run down the bike battery after a day or so. I agree that is important but I have no problem turning it off when I put the bike to bed at the end of the day or end of a ride. Advantages exist for leaving the unit powered up for a complete ride even when stopping for gas or lunch.

I have a Garmon Neuvi that I plug into the switched power port ( cig lighter). Once you turn the ignition off it gives you an on screen prompt. If you chose to ignore it, it shuts off. I can remove it and when I put it back in serves, turn on the bike, it starts by its self. On occasion when gassing up I’ll turn the key to acc. We stop in a lot of smaller towns to eat and I’m not willing to tempt the locals. I have in the past have forgotten to turn dome lights off in the car and had to jump start it. If your a low mileage rider you very well my find your self with a dead battery when you really want/ need some wind therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Any advise?
    Definitely switched. If I had my way everything but the tender would be on switched power.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!