Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install - Page 10
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I'm trying to imagine this "drone" thing. Is it noise while wearing a helmet or does that matter? I guess it's like some vibrating humming sound or something? I guess I've never had it before.
    I don't know if it would be an issue without a helmet and a stock shield, but it might be with a tall shield. I guess a humming sound would be another way to describe what I refer to as a drone. It can also be heard when installing certain aftermarket exhausts in certain cars (headers and/or cat backs). It will be experienced differently by different people, so you really won't know if its an issue for you until you judge for yourself; in other words, it is very subjective.

On my bike when it had the baffles in the drone was bad between 55 and 80. Having a helmet on made it worse since the wind noise is quieter. On acceleration or deceleration there isn't any problem. At idle or riding around town the pipes sound great. It's just at a constant highway speed the sound is a steady drone that is uncomfortable to the ears. It,s not loud, just the tone. I tried without the baffles but I found this to be to loud to myself and to the people in the vicinity so I wrapped the baffles in fiberglass [glasspacks] and this seemed to help considerbly.I will try this for awhile and if I'm not happy then I will put the stockers back on and sell these
    Jakec

I happened to get behind a Valkyrie Interstate this morning on the freeway and he had 626 pipes on. I'm guessing Cobra's but not sure. It sounded really good. Kinda quiet just cruising but loud (not too loud) when he gassed on it. I can't wait to get some.

If anyone wants to sell theirs, please send me a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    On my bike when it had the baffles in the drone was bad between 55 and 80. Having a helmet on made it worse since the wind noise is quieter. On acceleration or deceleration there isn't any problem. At idle or riding around town the pipes sound great. It's just at a constant highway speed the sound is a steady drone that is uncomfortable to the ears. It,s not loud, just the tone. I tried without the baffles but I found this to be to loud to myself and to the people in the vicinity so I wrapped the baffles in fiberglass [glasspacks] and this seemed to help considerbly.I will try this for awhile and if I'm not happy then I will put the stockers back on and sell these
    Jakec
    My camaro exhaust drones and it sucks!!! Guess I'll wait to hear these in person.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I'm trying to imagine this "drone" thing. Is it noise while wearing a helmet or does that matter? I guess it's like some vibrating humming sound or something? I guess I've never had it before.

Typically, you'll notice the exhaust sound is amplified beyond 'normal' at a certain rpm/engine load.

A definite 'loud spot' in the overall engine/exhaust system, but it's not there above or below a certain rpm/engine load.

If that spot is in your normal cruising zone it can be annoying as heck!

Try this for an example. While humming, put your hands flat over both ears, then remove. Notice the difference? Now pretend that humming is your exhaust. Drone is similar to when you have your hands over your ears, and 'the rest of the rpm range/engine load' is basically like not having your hands over your ears.

(Don't let your co-workers see you testing this out, they may start to wonder about ya! LOL!)

Scotrod, that was a great explanation and Chipmaker you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Jakec

Cool

Bobby have you ever ridden behind someone and after a while start to get a headache or wonder why your head is throbbing??? That is " drone" for some reason mine don't have it?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    Scotrod, that was a great explanation and Chipmaker you know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Jakec
    Thnx!

It's not just a set of pipes that are 'loud' as much as it is a certain rpm/engine load sound through an exhaust that creates or fails to cancel a 'resonance' of sorts that's noticeable louder than the same engine load at a slightly higher or lower rpm.

Gradual acceleration sound level = "mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm,,,"

(Only try the humming/hands over ears trick when no ones looking! LOL!)

The MagnaFlow muff's the wife has on her '11 V-6 Mustang drone REAL bad when taking off 'normal/gently' from a stop,,, Make the dayum floorboards / console vibrate till she gets it above 2k+ rpm,, Quiets down to 'normal' MagnaFlow levels after that:

"mMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,"

(She thinks the drone sounds like 'power', )

As long as she's happy, and I don't have to drive it,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Bobby have you ever ridden behind someone and after a while start to get a headache or wonder why your head is throbbing??? That is " drone" for some reason mine don't have it?
    Yes, on every HOG (Harley Owner's Group) ride! I've been on and around many loud bikes but they never annoyed me like this drone thing. Sounds annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Schu3d View Post
    Almost forgot the finished pics.
    It looks great! I'm glad to see you're happy with them, and apologize for the long wait. We had to reengineer how the exhaust went together, as well as get the baffles perfect. I personally tested 12 different sets of baffles so that we could get the sound nice and deep, but with minimal drone. For those of you who want it loud like the old Valk 6 shooter, just take the baffles out! As for black...Those are in production as we speak and expect a ship date of Mid October, possibly earlier. They will be Ceramic coated matte black, the same coating we use on all of our other black exhaust systems. There is a possibility that we will make an optional black front shield, but as of right now there is not one in production.

If anyone has any questions at all, please feel free to PM me!

Thanks