Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install - Page 19
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install

Quote Originally Posted by CobraUSA View Post
    How did you like the sound?

Cobra, I liked the sound, and while I did NOT take the bike out onto the highway and run it at highway speeds for a long period of time, I think that Kevins' bike has little to no drone to it. On my own F6B, as a temporary solution...while I wait for this Winter to come...and by then most aftermarket manufacturers will have their final products for the F6B available with no wait-list...I went ahead and drilled my OEM exhaust, and after some fine tuning, I have little to no drone, and my pipes sound as good as any Cobra, Rush, or Torqmaster pipes I have heard.

But...before all the wise-crackers on here pipe up (pun intended), my hearing has been seriously affected by being hit with a lightning strike on the helmet, on 9-5-13. So with blown out ear drums, I don't hear as well as most people do. However, I can still hear THE drone...at highway speeds, for longer distances, if I intentionaly make my exhaust drone. I don't want to do that...intentionally...that is why I have it fine tuned (again, pun inteded)

To be honest with you, I know how to fix the drone problem on the new 6-2-6 pipes, but...I contacted Cobra in a PM, and the response was to blow me off, so I am keeping my secret fix close to the vest, and sharing it only with

And I don't even drink !

I did get a nice response from Cobra on the drone issue...I am pleased with the sound it is just the constant drone that is hard to bear..At my age of almost 74 I am not into noise so much, but do like a pleasant sound..I am curious as to whether or not this drone will, over time, effect my hearing? If so, off come the pipes and I will go back to stock...The question was asked about what type of windshield I have which leads me to believe the engineers at Cobra only tested the pipes/baffles on a bike with the stock shield...The wind protection is far more important to me than fancy pipes, so if nothing changes for the better for me by next year, I will go back to the stock pipes even though I really love the looks and low speed sound of the Cobras...I suppose I was expecting them to sound more like the old 6to6 pipes on my Valkyrie....I might remove the baffles and try that before I take them off...We'll see what the future brings...Also, I am hoping to get the chrome cover shield that is shown in the Cobra web-site on the F6B that covers the welds and clamps on the pipes..My source at Cobra indicated they would send them at no charge.....

Quote Originally Posted by Limbuck View Post
    Good post. Interested and watching.... Old question- Cobra gonna do black powercoat? I've seen the ceramic black from the other folks but I want flat black so I can join them anti-chrome folks.
    So here are the elusive black pipes. Not exactly what i was hoping for especially with the silver clamps and having to reuse the chrome heat shield. Hopefully Cobra will QUICKLY create and sell a matching heat shield. On a positive note i like the sound and finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Looks weird

Chrome heat shield with black pipes is odd enough but chrome clamp is just wrong! Must powder coat fast. It seems like Cobra is selling these pipes in black unfinished and you are forced to spend more money and time to get them right. I feel Cobra has dropped the ball on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Chrome heat shield with black pipes is odd enough but chrome clamp is just wrong! Must powder coat fast. It seems like Cobra is selling these pipes in black unfinished and you are forced to spend more money and time to get them right. I feel Cobra has dropped the ball on these.
    I have to agree. The black part of the pipes look great but it looks unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Yeah I feel like I made a really expensive mistake and they don't seem to be listening to us.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I don't believe ANY aftermarket manufacturer provides or offers black forward shields with their black F6B slip-on pipes.

This will sound harsh, but why would anyone who's researched something fully before they bought it and understands what they are getting expect them to be included?

The clamp,,, I can see where they should be black. But, $5 for a can of high temp will fix that. (Or p-coat 'em,,,)

What to do now with your forward shields? Powder coat 'em like everyone else has had to do who's purchased black F6B slip-ons.

In the long run, it will be far less $$$ for you to p-coat 'em yourself than to pay for a 2nd set of shields in black from Cobra.

Maybe some day Cobra will offer the shields as a 'kit' option with the slip ons,,, I reckon the MSRP for that combined kit will be just shy of 1 large,,, And,,, with such a high MSRP, most will opt to either go chrome or p-coat their existing shields instead of buying the full kit,,, which in turn leaves Cobra with a low-demand item, the black forward shields,,,

Its all about the $$$. Always has been, always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I don't believe ANY aftermarket manufacturer provides or offers black forward shields with their black F6B slip-on pipes.

This will sound harsh, but why would anyone who's researched something fully before they bought it and understands what they are getting expect them to be included?

The clamp,,, I can see where they should be black. But, $5 for a can of high temp will fix that. (Or p-coat 'em,,,)

What to do now with your forward shields? Powder coat 'em like everyone else has had to do who's purchased black F6B slip-ons.

In the long run, it will be far less $$$ for you to p-coat 'em yourself than to pay for a 2nd set of shields in black from Cobra.

Maybe some day Cobra will offer the shields as a 'kit' option with the slip ons,,, I reckon the MSRP for that combined kit will be just shy of 1 large,,, And,,, with such a high MSRP, most will opt to either go chrome or p-coat their existing shields instead of buying the full kit,,, which in turn leaves Cobra with a low-demand item, the black forward shields,,,

Its all about the $$$. Always has been, always will be.
    I knew what i was getting into with the shield but i thought the clamps would be covered like it's advertised on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Cobra, I liked the sound, and while I did NOT take the bike out onto the highway and run it at highway speeds for a long period of time, I think that Kevins' bike has little to no drone to it. On my own F6B, as a temporary solution...while I wait for this Winter to come...and by then most aftermarket manufacturers will have their final products for the F6B available with no wait-list...I went ahead and drilled my OEM exhaust, and after some fine tuning, I have little to no drone, and my pipes sound as good as any Cobra, Rush, or Torqmaster pipes I have heard.

But...before all the wise-crackers on here pipe up (pun intended), my hearing has been seriously affected by being hit with a lightning strike on the helmet, on 9-5-13. So with blown out ear drums, I don't hear as well as most people do. However, I can still hear THE drone...at highway speeds, for longer distances, if I intentionaly make my exhaust drone. I don't want to do that...intentionally...that is why I have it fine tuned (again, pun inteded)

To be honest with you, I know how to fix the drone problem on the new 6-2-6 pipes, but...I contacted Cobra in a PM, and the response was to blow me off, so I am keeping my secret fix close to the vest, and sharing it only with

And I don't even drink !
    Hey Miles,

I didn't intentionally "blow you off". It is just a little difficult to be on multiple forums at all times and remember to check PM's. Anyways, I get tons of PM's regarding free exhaust systems and if I were to give everyone who asked what they wanted, we wouldn't sell anything. I myself am an enthusiast, just like you so I know where you were coming from, but I can't just give stuff away.

Thanks,
    Dustin
    www.cobrausa.com
    Anything's Possible

Cobra 6-2-6

Hey Dustin,
    I'm thinking of getting 6-2-6 in Black. Can I get
    Black clamps & Heat Shields with it. What are the $$$$$
    for whole setup.

Thanks

Kawi69