Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install - Page 7
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 into 6 exhaust install

Went for a ride today..... Miles not sure, really like the new 6's so they may be for sale, ::: I did not experience any drone today and I rode about 125 miles, 40 in a down pour, 75 miles @ 75-80 mph, on the highway, the rest in town around Daytona...no issues with the pipes!!! Had two people yell " nice bike " . Getting ready to wash the road grime off now !!!

Sat for about an hour at Corbin, pricing the new smuggler and waiting for the rain to slack up...man the B.S. about why the seats are so hard !!!! LMAO !!! stopped by Ultimate....seat is about a month out.......

If I had to come up with a negative about the pipes I guess it would be, why did they not weld all three pipes on the collector....one is welded and the other two are on with clamps??? I assume for chroming.? I say they are worth it, depends on disposal income it they are worth it to you.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

They look good Steve. I think they would look better if they stuck out the back more like your other pipes did.
    Ride it like you stole it

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    If I had to come up with a negative about the pipes I guess it would be, why did they not weld all three pipes on the collector....one is welded and the other two are on with clamps???
    Virtually no access to the area(s) that need welds. 1st pipe is EZ, 2nd a pain, 3rd impossible.

Thanks for the update Steve. I didn't know Corbin had stores. I've never seen one.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Thanks for the update Steve. I didn't know Corbin had stores. I've never seen one.
    Bobby, Corbin has the West Coast store and what you are seeing behind Steve's F6B is the 2nd Store in Daytona Beach Florida (East Coast Store)

Thanks for the info....never thought of the welding part ......

The smuggler seat is a nice touch... Salesman at Corbin suggested the " asphalt " for the sides and a " Bomber jacket" black for the tops...it is a distressed leather and is very soft....

The smugglers of the past marred the paint to the point that once the seat was used on the bike it pretty much had to stay on to hide the marks.... just a thought...

The smuggler is a two or three piece unit not counting backrests..... you need the smuggler unit and a seat for the driver, and if you remove the smuggler unit you will need another seat for a passenger, or just go back to stock when two up.... Around $1400 will get you riding...

Has anyone purchased a smuggler unit to do a review??? The salesperson at Corbin stated, " we can't keep them on the shelf"...... and he did not have one in the store and said the are built to order...about 6 weeks delay...

I might do the smuggler for the " Look " but over all I am very happy with my Stock seat after a little modification...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Rich...I agree... but most don't like it as much as we do !!!

Bobby..... Yep two stores...and Ultimate has their seats made in Canada and shipped to Daytona and on-ward.... In Daytona they, Corbin has a call center type environment and when someone comes in that they have a seat for or one in stock for sale they also install and mail your seat home for you.... During Daytona Bikefest they will have a butt load of seats and 10% off sale as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Went for a ride today..... Miles not sure, really like the new 6's so they may be for sale, ::: I did not experience any drone today and I rode about 125 miles, 40 in a down pour, 75 miles @ 75-80 mph, on the highway, the rest in town around Daytona...no issues with the pipes!!! Had two people yell " nice bike " . Getting ready to wash the road grime off now !!!

Sat for about an hour at Corbin, pricing the new smuggler and waiting for the rain to slack up...man the B.S. about why the seats are so hard !!!! LMAO !!! stopped by Ultimate....seat is about a month out.......

If I had to come up with a negative about the pipes I guess it would be, why did they not weld all three pipes on the collector....one is welded and the other two are on with clamps??? I assume for chroming.? I say they are worth it, depends on disposal income it they are worth it to you.....
    Nice pics Steve. I also love your description of the idle... you nailed that one... it is that much better with the baffles out. I apologize for not having a clip posted yet, but I'll try again tomorrow. I had a very busy day today and do need to figure out how to do this. I know it is simple, but I just haven't done it before so it will take me a tad longer than necessary.

I dont know if this would make any sense, but for the short time I rode the bike with baffles in, it almost seems like drone might be worse with the baffles than without. Not that either is an issue IMO, but for those with more sensitive ears it might be. Even though there is more ambient noise behind you with baffles out, it seems like with the baffles in there is more vibration of the chocked up pipes, causing more/different vibration of the metal, sending sound waves up to your ears as opposed to out the back. I realize that this is a very primitive/none scientific way of describing it, but maybe it makes sense to some of you.

With my previous (2005) Goldwing, I had a Cobra system also. I removed those baffles and rode it to work and back only once (25 miles one way). I had to put them back in because they had my ears ringing; it was as if the sound found its way up the bottom of my bags and was sucked in between the trunk and the windshield straight into my helmet. With the baffles in, there was a drone that was just about tolerable for me, but possibly would not be for many others.

On the F6B none of this applies. These 6 2 6 pipes stick out a bit beyond the bags, expelling the sound out behind the bike. There is no wind turbulence from a back trunk to suck the noise back to the rider or channel it forward in any way. This again is my none technical way of explaining why I think there is no problem for the rider on this bike. At highway speeds there is really no issue as the sound is really blown back and away from you more forcefully. In town you can make it loud or actually relatively quiet by modulating your throttle.

Hope this helps those who are trying to decide.

dgman2...in order to put a sound clip on this board you will need to upload your video to U-Tube and then copy and past the URL on the board... pretty easy...if you have a smart phone and do the Vid on that phone there should be an apt to up load directly to U-Tube

Thanks,,,,,, I will wait and hear yours before pulling the baffles on mine...just to save me from reinventing the wheel.....

F6B with Cobra exhaust video

Thanks for the tips Steve.

Below, is the link to a quick sample video I made this evening. I will post a better video later when I have another pair of hands.

http://youtu.be/CwEjHKBlgv0