Fog lights, took the plunge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fog lights, took the plunge

Fog lights, took the plunge

Thanks to all the members who've posted their experience with installing and using fog lights. I'll mainly be using them in the daytime as an additional points of light to add to my apparently invisible profile.
    Most of the close encounters come from people coming up from side streets, they turn their head to look then pull right out.
    Thought about modulator for headlights, but they typically don't look long enough to even catch a cycle of the light.

I've got this awful habit of trying to save money by using things that aren't specifically for an application. In the case of fog lights I've looked at the hundreds of aftermarket LED lights and all the ways to rig up switches and power, I fret and fret over this kind of stuff, have found ways to save much money over the years but I'm throwing in the towel. Many of you have installed other fog lights successfully but working on this bike is about to break me. You won't break a sweat, but damn they couldn't have made it less mod-friendly if they tried. Probably simple for some folks, but a back injury let's me know who's boss after about 5 minutes of fishing around for shit inside the fairing.

Ordered the Big Bike Rectangular Lower Fog Light kit from ValueAccessories. It looks like I won't have to crimp, heat-shrink, nibble, fabricate, mill, rout, drill, solder, or adapt a single thing except for removing the opening covers from the cowl. No trips to Ace, no slow boat for parts from eBay.

Again, thanks to all the forum members who've contributed so much.
    My thoughts on additional lighting are similar to installing a motion activated light around your house: you'll never know the trouble that passed you by because of the extra lighting.

They are 100% plug and play. I am satisfied with mine.

In case your wondering how good they look!

Attachment 20498
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

S M I D S Y

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Thanks to all the members who've posted their experience with installing and using fog lights. I'll mainly be using them in the daytime as an additional points of light to add to my apparently invisible profile.
    i use this technique often, it's worth a look

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

MisterB, I feel your pain, do you use a bike lift table? It comes in very handy so I don't have to crawl on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post
    i use this technique often, it's worth a look

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
    The crash example shown is exactly what happened to me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Most of the close encounters come from people coming up from side streets, they turn their head to look then pull right out.
    Thought about modulator for headlights, but they typically don't look long enough to even catch a cycle of the light.

I've got this awful habit of trying to save money by using things that aren't specifically for an application. In the case of fog lights I've looked at the hundreds of aftermarket LED lights and all the ways to rig up switches and power, I fret and fret over this kind of stuff, have found ways to save much money over the years but I'm throwing in the towel. Many of you have installed other fog lights successfully but working on this bike is about to break me. You won't break a sweat, but damn they couldn't have made it less mod-friendly if they tried. Probably simple for some folks, but a back injury let's me know who's boss after about 5 minutes of fishing around for shit inside the fairing.

Ordered the Big Bike Rectangular Lower Fog Light kit from ValueAccessories. It looks like I won't have to crimp, heat-shrink, nibble, fabricate, mill, rout, drill, solder, or adapt a single thing except for removing the opening covers from the cowl. No trips to Ace, no slow boat for parts from eBay.

Again, thanks to all the forum members who've contributed so much.
    My thoughts on additional lighting are similar to installing a motion activated light around your house: you'll never know the trouble that passed you by because of the extra lighting.
    Could you please post a link for those Fog lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Could you please post a link for those Fog lamps.
    Don't know if these are the same ones MisterB used but my buddies bought these and are happy with them. The sale is still going on, http://store.valueaccessories.net/LE...oldWing12.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    The crash example shown is exactly what happened to me.
    Great idea, thanks. I have one question though, what is background movement?

I installed those lights 3 days ago. It took me quite awhile because my 'ol 71 yr body protests a bit when bending and stretching and getting up from the floor. After saying that, it's a pretty straight forward process. The part that scared me the most was removing the radio panel. You are supposed to unhook 3 connectors to get it free, but I couldn't get the smallest one to release so I proceeded with that one still connected. Not real easy, but doable.
    The hardest part of the whole process was finding the connector to plug the switch into(thanks to a member of the forum) and getting that damn lower cowl back on. But, it's done and I feel good about doing it myself. Now I'm just waiting for the out of stock Lamp Guards to protect these little jewels.
    Take your time, when ya get tired or/and sore, take a break.