Fog lights, took the plunge - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fog lights, took the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Great idea, thanks. I have one question though, what is background movement?
    Maybe that's when they suggest to roll the bike back and forth to create movement?
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

fog lights

i am going to get these also today - just shopping around for best price - live in Canuck country so have to see what the best deal is to order from JP or a canadian seller. these lights are really nice - are they quite bright too???

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post
    i use this technique often, it's worth a look

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU
    After 42 years of piloting motorcycles, I can't say that I have ever seen this method. I do think it is a very useful tool to use and I am going to institute it into my "Bag of Tricks" for my defensive driving techniques.

Thanks for this video and the information Mr. Coffee Weasle
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

you're very welcome

glad to share, ya never know, it could make a difference some where/some time
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    In case your wondering how good they look!
    Indeed! Do you ever turn them off?

MisterB, I feel your pain, do you use a bike lift table? It comes in very handy so I don't have to crawl on the ground.
    I've thought about it but my garage is pretty cramped. Also: drops happen, spent too much money on farkles and upgrades, and hopefully this is it except for basic fluid and consumables replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post
    i use this technique often, it's worth a look
    Wow, I need to get on the Youtube more! I've read about all of this but was "meh", seeing it drove it home. Thanks for posting that, I"ll be checking out other videos by him.
    Also, what I said about motion lights on your house applies to this. You'll never know the cars that DIDN'T pull out in front of you because they saw you and stayed put.
    I'm all over it now.

This is probably TMI about my inner workings, but I've been hesitant to use the technique in the past because I always see kids on sport bikes "warming up" their tires for the big race on Isle of Man, oops I mean I of 255 East. Big swooping overpass, one lane, one direction, sweeping back and forth getting ready for the big race to nowhere. They get an opening and punch it, only to have to slow down 1/2 mile later so they ride along at 60mph in what sounds like 2nd gear and punch it as soon as another tiny opening appears. I just don't want to be....er.... like that.
    Additionally (this doesn't deserve it's own thread so right here will do) why do so many riders ride around with their feet down? They'll take off at a left in a big intersection and won't have their feet up until they're well on their way after the turn. It's crazy! Is it an STL thing? Did I miss that page in the manual?

Don't know if these are the same ones MisterB used but my buddies bought these and are happy with them. The sale is still going on, http://store.valueaccessories.net/LE...oldWing12.aspx
    Those are the ones!

Great idea, thanks. I have one question though, what is background movement?
    When you can see the background behind the car move relative to the car then you know that they also see you moving across their field of vision instead of relatively static if you're moving directly at them. Or you've had one to many.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    I installed those lights 3 days ago. It took me quite awhile because my 'ol 71 yr body protests a bit when bending and stretching and getting up from the floor. After saying that, it's a pretty straight forward process. The part that scared me the most was removing the radio panel. You are supposed to unhook 3 connectors to get it free, but I couldn't get the smallest one to release so I proceeded with that one still connected. Not real easy, but doable.
    The hardest part of the whole process was finding the connector to plug the switch into(thanks to a member of the forum) and getting that damn lower cowl back on. But, it's done and I feel good about doing it myself. Now I'm just waiting for the out of stock Lamp Guards to protect these little jewels.
    Take your time, when ya get tired or/and sore, take a break.
    Oh the cowl. Flushed my clutch fluid a few weeks ago, seemed easy enough coming off. Should've taken a closeup picture of how things are attached. Got it back on, won't make that mistake again.
    I'm 20 years your junior but probably no faster for it. Screwed up my back about 10 years ago, couldn't afford to take off work for back surgery, shop would be hurting if I was gone for months. Have built up new muscles and there's a lot of moaning and groaning but I can still get down and work. Just have to REMEMBER TO BRING EVERYTHING I NEED DOWN THE FIRST TIME. "OMG where's the 5mm Allen?

Ooh, one last idea on fog lights. As much as I worry about mounting things solidly it suddenly dawned on me that the one thing that always gets my attention, day or night, is a wiggly headlight. What about fog lights, or conspicuity lights, that were mounted on a bobble-head type assembly? It would only allow a few degrees movement in any direction, but they'd always be moving, bouncing, shaking. Would be annoying as Hell but would certainly get noticed. Could be considered legal since they wouldn't be flashing in the literal interpretation?

No results found for "bobblehead fog lights".

Here are some pics of the lights with the scowl off. Great hardware and the lights seem pretty heavy duty. Instructions were decent.
    Screwing the stuff to the bike took less time than getting the grommets inserted. What a JOY it was to install the lights and then simply plug them into an existing plug that was made for this purpose.
    Leave your wire strippers and crimpers on the bench, you won't need much more than a 5mm Allen wrench, 8mm socket, Phillips and flat head screwdrivers, and the instructions suggest thread locking compound. All I had handy was red Loctite which has too much hold IMHO and am having trouble imagining a future that has the bolts backing out without Loctite, if I can dig up my blue I may put a drop of that on the screws.
    It's all back together except for the scowl, something is just not right and I make stupid mistakes when I work too late. ( I know it's called a cowl but I've got an attitude towards that thing tonight).
    I thought I had read somewhere that the tint was 4500K, I guess they were talking about something else. These are 5500K easily. Compared them to my Zebralight SC62d (5000K) and they're not even close.
    Was hoping for something less blue but the good news is I won't be looking at them! The cool emitters are fine for conspicuity and when compared to emitters of the same series but warmer, the cool are considerably brighter. I'm a tint snob, but not so much that it will ruin these lights for me.
    You probably all know it by now but you really have to dig in to get that plug out of the clear-ish boot down below the radio controls. Worth it, just plug this stuff in!

Are your fog light adjusters on the bottom of the light? I can't tell on the pics. cueman

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Are your fog light adjusters on the bottom of the light? I can't tell on the pics. cueman
    Sorry, missed that angle, will post a pic tonight.
    Yes, there is a single screw that adjusts the output up or down.
    I don't see anything for left/right but I don't think that would be a problem.

I meant to say adj. on bottom inside.

Adjustment screw is at bottom right.
    Attachment 20634