Looking for a 3rd bike????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 3rd bike????

Looking for a 3rd bike????

Has anyone had a Yamaha FJR1300 before the F6B?

I am looking for a 3rd bike down the road and I am doing research (fantasizing) now. I originally was going to buy the FJR1300 when I bought the F6B. I am looking for something down the road in a few years when I have more money (Ha Ha yea right).

I would like the following features: (Any suggestions I would appreciate!!!)

More sport bike like performance power and handling than the F6B
    Comfort
    luggage
    stereo

I know we all have that with the F6B (that is why I bought it) best mix of the above features!!!!

I would like something more sporty if possible or just something different occasionally. You know I love my beautiful blond wife but a good brunette is fun to take out for a ride now and then. (With this comment and wanting a 3rd bike I will need a new place to live so this is going to get real expensive) Which is why in reality this is most likely a fantasy. (but it is still fun to do and inspires good conversation)

Some bikes I have been considering:

Sport Tourers
    FJR1300
    Concourse
    Trophy
    BMW 1200RT (are these high maintenance?)
    BMW 1600 (too expensive)

Naked
    CB900 (I used to have one of these)
    CB1000R
    FZ1
    XJR1300 (looks pretty cool for retro)

Harley (giving up performance for nastalgia) By the time I do this I will be in my 60's so this may be the better route to take.
    2010 Fatboy (My previous bike)

I still have my 1981 CB750K which is fun and more flick-able as they say. It is getting a little dated and I don't trust it when I push it real hard. It is still a lot of fun and runs great but the other day I was ripping through the gears burning a new fancy Harley and it went into a death wobble at 90MPH. (It really freaked me out) I guess I need to rebuild the forks and check the tires etc... I have nice Avon's on it (sporty)
    Steve

I found this.

And, again, I can't speak to the FZ-1, but the power delivery of the FJR is the smoothest, flattest torque curve I think I've experienced since the GL1800. That's saying something.

I have had both a 2002 FZ1 and a 2011 FJR1300. I loved the FZ1 and hated the FJR.

The FZ1 could hit 70 in first gear and sounded great while doing it. With an aftermarket seat and windscreen, I could ride it all day. It's the second favorite bike I've owned.

The FJR was miserable to ride in hot weather, had too much vibration in the handlebar and footpegs, and exceptionally unpleasant engine sound. I don't get why so many people love them.. I've owned several bikes over the years and it was by far my least favorite.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

I was thinking that we already own the F6B which is better than the FJR1300 (I rode both back to back and chose the F6B hands down)

Also the FZ1 would be a lot cheaper and be sporty when I want sporty and I have the F6B for touring and everything else.
    How is the maintenance on the FZ1? Do they last and are they as bullet proof as the Gold Wing?
    Steve

I just found out that Yamaha now makes another sport tourer. FJ-09 which is a touring model of the FZ-09 the FZ1 little brother.
    What do you guys think about this one? (A more comfortable FZ type bike)
    Traction control / higher closer handlebars / better seat / windshield adjustment / bigger gas tank

This one looks like more comfortable fun to play with.

Steve

How about a Schwinn for exercise. I know I need one.

I already have a bicycle / This will exercise my spirit just like the F6B but a little different.

I had an R11RT with no problems at all - most of the maintenance can be done yourself and at least the 3 dealers I dealt with were great - all 3 even offered maintenance classes on the weekends for free. I can't speak to the R12RT, but overall BMW has a great product.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    How is the maintenance on the FZ1? Do they last and are they as bullet proof as the Gold Wing?
    Steve
    I never had a problem with mine. I haven't been on the FZ1 forum for a long time, but I remember there were very few post from people having problems with their bikes. Routine maintenance wasn't particularly expensive. Valve adjustments were recommended every 26,000 miles.

I think if I was in the market for an additional bike, I'd wait a year and see if the weird looking FZ-10 makes it to the US market. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...up=MC&catId=79
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

All new FZ1 looks nice