Riding through Atlanta - how is it - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Riding through Atlanta - how is it

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    Wikipedia.......
    It is eight to 12 lanes wide, with the northern part from I-75 to Georgia 400 to I-85 the most heavily traveled. One segment of the highway near Spaghetti Junction (a large, flyover highway interchange northeast of Atlanta) with Interstate 85 widens to 18 lanes, including collector-distributor lanes. Exits are numbered clockwise, starting at the southwestern-most point at I-85, and ending just east of there where it meets I-85 again near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

YUP!!!!!! If you hit is between breakfast,lunch or dinner you should be OK. Bring your A game and ride aggressive to make it thru!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

beware, the HOV lane is no longer. ATL has opted to make that a toll lane. So no left lane bandits for me, but I've ran ATL many times, it's not bad, good news, if everyone else is cruising at 90, you'll get through in no time. btw, do not take the loop around, it takes you way out and returns, adding 20 miles to your trip. Run right through downtown, between 10AM and 3 you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advise and have decided to go through the mountains. Looking foreword to the trip!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    beware, the HOV lane is no longer. ATL has opted to make that a toll lane. So no left lane bandits for me, but I've ran ATL many times, it's not bad, good news, if everyone else is cruising at 90, you'll get through in no time. btw, do not take the loop around, it takes you way out and returns, adding 20 miles to your trip. Run right through downtown, between 10AM and 3 you'll be fine.
    Just went thru Atlanta on Saturday and the HOV lane was unchanged. Did not see any indication of a toll lane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Just went thru Atlanta on Saturday and the HOV lane was unchanged. Did not see any indication of a toll lane.
    North Gwinnett has a HOT lane and I think there's one over in Cobb somewhere. But the HOV lanes are the same through ATL

250,000 per DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    Wikipedia.......
    It is eight to 12 lanes wide, with the northern part from I-75 to Georgia 400 to I-85 the most heavily traveled. One segment of the highway near Spaghetti Junction (a large, flyover highway interchange northeast of Atlanta) with Interstate 85 widens to 18 lanes, including collector-distributor lanes. Exits are numbered clockwise, starting at the southwestern-most point at I-85, and ending just east of there where it meets I-85 again near Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.
    The northern portion of I-285, east of the "Cobb Cloverleaf" (I-75 junction) to "Spaghetti Junction" (I-85 junction), is frequently referred to as the Top End Perimeter. This section, which includes an interchange with Georgia 400 at exit 27 (frequently cited as the most dangerous intersections in Atlanta), is one of the busiest freeways in the United States, handling about 250,000 cars per day and crossing through three counties. Through that stretch, the freeway expands from six or eight lanes to between ten and fourteen lanes.

The last time I traveled through Atlanta from TN to Fl it was like a river of cars many lanes wide that kept a steady flow at about 60mph. I stayed on I-75 through downtown. That was mid afternoon before rush hour.

I am in Clearwater Florida now on vacation in the cage. I went through Atlanta at 730 pm and took nearly 2 hours, I also heard the bypass is just as bad. Only time to go through Atlanta is 3am then there's no traffic. And I though Going into Chicago was bad, there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    I'm planning my route for the Russellville trip (can't believe that I waited this long) and am trying to decide to either go north through Asheville and Knoxville or to go south through Atlanta and Birmingham. The south route is 30 minutes shorter of a ride but I know the Asheville is a beautiful trip. What do you all think? I have never been to Atlanta or through it. Just hope that I'm not too late in planning this trip......
    ATL is home to at least one major college and a a few large high schools that always seem to have an event when I go through, causing backups and snarls, not to mention some overheated drivers who get to the point that they really just don't care about anyone else on the road.

My recommendation and personal course of action is to ALWAYS go way around ATL.
    Standing on the 85 freeway, listening to my cooling fans kick on and off, is not my idea of fun.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ATL is home to at least one major college and a a few large high schools that always seem to have an event when I go through, causing backups and snarls, not to mention some overheated drivers who get to the point that they really just don't care about anyone else on the road.

My recommendation and personal course of action is to ALWAYS go way around ATL.
    Standing on the 85 freeway, listening to my cooling fans kick on and off, is not my idea of fun.
    Ok, 53, you know you are my boo and all, but there are emergency lanes and medians. No need whatsoever to be sitting still on the big road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I am in Clearwater Florida now on vacation in the cage. I went through Atlanta at 730 pm and took nearly 2 hours, I also heard the bypass is just as bad. Only time to go through Atlanta is 3am then there's no traffic. And I though Going into Chicago was bad, there is no comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B