Ever run out of gas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever run out of gas?

Ever run out of gas?

I'm sure it has happened but is anyone willing to own up to it? If you ran it bone dry did the FI prime reasonably quick or did it take some work? I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on it if it's not a nightmare. I'm just doing some experiments with the pony tank.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

I will admit!!!!

Not on the B, but in the early 80s I bought a CB350 that had set up and the reserve side of the petcock was clogged. It was a hot Sunday afternoon and the wife was on the back (We were both a lot lighter back then). Before the days of cell phones of course. A rider and his family in his cage stopped and went and bought me a gallon.

Also on my 06 Road King back around 2009 trying to stretch it too far. I was about a mile from the station and a mile from home. Called my son that time.

soooo embarrassing.

But no--not on the B.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Not on the B, but in the early 80s I bought a CB350 that had set up and the reserve side of the petcock was clogged. It was a hot Sunday afternoon and the wife was on the back (We were both a lot lighter back then). Before the days of cell phones of course. A rider and his family in his cage stopped and went and bought me a gallon.

Also on my 06 Road King back around 2009 trying to stretch it too far. I was about a mile from the station and a mile from home. Called my son that time.

soooo embarrassing.

But no--not on the B.
    I use to live 2 miles from work. I ran my Sabre out more times than I could count thinking I could make one more trip.

May not be a good idea to run the tank dry. Not sure electronic fuel pumps like that situation. You may have some risk of burning up the pump. Do you really want to do this on purpose? Just wondering.

Never have run out of gas in any vehicle (of personal conveyance). Ever.

Have run out of gas with my weed whacker though.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg View Post
    I'm sure it has happened but is anyone willing to own up to it? If you ran it bone dry did the FI prime reasonably quick or did it take some work? I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on it if it's not a nightmare. I'm just doing some experiments with the pony tank.
    No, not ever. BUT...years ago I ran on fumes and a prayer once that got me to fuel......just. Back in the day I could see it happening (like my old VW without a fuel gage) but no excuses would fly in today's automotive world with technology and an abundance of fuel stops in the civilized world.

You should be OK with your experiment. Why not shut it down just as you begin to feel the surges in fuel supply? That way you'll have a bit still in the supply line. That'll be close enough for your experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    May not be a good idea to run the tank dry. Not sure electronic fuel pumps like that situation. You may have some risk of burning up the pump. Do you really want to do this on purpose? Just wondering.
    Well I thought the fuel pump was submerged. Which would make it prime pretty quick but I could also be wrong about that. I was more worried about fuel lines needing to be bleed if they sucked air. My VTX had the pump in the tank. From the time it first sputtered until I could flip the switch on the pony tank and it fired was 5-7 sec. Hoping for the same results on the B. But wanted to see if anyone had been down that road yet.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Never have run out of gas in any vehicle (of personal conveyance). Ever.

Have run out of gas with my weed whacker though.
    Same with me. Add the lawn mower every now and then.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I've been told many times that I don't have a sense of adventure. Not totally true, but when the needle gets to a 1/8 tank, I start getting the heebie jeebies.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

shooter
    That's a little late for me. Gas stations can be 30 - 40 miles apart easy on some of my riding trips.