Country road vs highway

Thread: Country road vs highway

Country road vs highway

Running 70 on a country road, the bike and wind is as smooth as butta. Same speed on the highway and I'm bumped all over the place by wind. The traffic's wind patterns make a huge difference. Guess that's why John Denver never sang about traffic on the highway. Country road take me home...
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

When you're driving the equivalent of a "billboard" down the interstates it's hard to avoid "cross winds" With no openings except for the front wheel there is absolutely no place for the wind to "pass through" hence the Big 6 turns into a sail. The occasional "hard gust" will, on occasion, induce a "10 pucker factor"

Yea, I had one of those moments about a month ago riding back from Houston, visiting the parents. Coming up 290 there is a 2 mile stretch where the road gets wide apart and there is nothing on either side as a barrier to wind. This is a 70mph zoned area and there was a 15mph sidewind with gusts to 50mph in a front moving through. I happened to be in the middle of this stretch when there was a gust that swept over. I tried slowing down and that seemed to just make things worse. Cars were going around me (cagers like running 80-100mph in this area) and I was sitting here fighting like hell to get to the other end. Its been the one and only time I've ever had that "I'm gonna die" thought come over me as I'm riding.
    At one point I had the bike leaned like I was taking a corner with just an inch or two from peg scrape, against the wind, and it pushed me almost all the way into the left lane from where I was riding the right white line in the right lane. I felt the tires sliding on me and had it not been for that gust decreasing just then, I'm pretty sure I'd be road pizza.
    Give me a back road any day. Superslabs are nice when you gotta get somewhere fast, but next time I ride in a pattern change like that, I'll be avoiding highways for sure. Thankfully, this is about the only spot on 290 east of Austin that has this area with no wind-break. I've been up and down 35 to San Antonio and Waco and there have been a few times where the pounding of dirty air streams around trucks and SUVs left me feeling like I went a few rounds in a MMA event.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Yea, I had one of those moments about a month ago riding back from Houston, visiting the parents. Coming up 290 there is a 2 mile stretch where the road gets wide apart and there is nothing on either side as a barrier to wind. This is a 70mph zoned area and there was a 15mph sidewind with gusts to 50mph in a front moving through. I happened to be in the middle of this stretch when there was a gust that swept over. I tried slowing down and that seemed to just make things worse. Cars were going around me (cagers like running 80-100mph in this area) and I was sitting here fighting like hell to get to the other end. Its been the one and only time I've ever had that "I'm gonna die" thought come over me as I'm riding.
    At one point I had the bike leaned like I was taking a corner with just an inch or two from peg scrape, against the wind, and it pushed me almost all the way into the left lane from where I was riding the right white line in the right lane. I felt the tires sliding on me and had it not been for that gust decreasing just then, I'm pretty sure I'd be road pizza.
    Give me a back road any day. Superslabs are nice when you gotta get somewhere fast, but next time I ride in a pattern change like that, I'll be avoiding highways for sure. Thankfully, this is about the only spot on 290 east of Austin that has this area with no wind-break. I've been up and down 35 to San Antonio and Waco and there have been a few times where the pounding of dirty air streams around trucks and SUVs left me feeling like I went a few rounds in a MMA event.
    I know where you are talking about! The wind wasn't as bad yesterday when I went Austin to Houston, but there were a few gusts that had to be dealt with.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Stay alive on country roads

I'll run a country road anytime before a freeway or major state road. Less people trying to run you over, they for the most part are just a stress free way to shake off the day and really enjoy something you love to do. Major roads just put that stress factor back in and are not anywhere as enjoyable as a scenic country road.

GaTeach
    David,
    Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about it while I was out riding yesterday. I did some big road and mostly back roads.

There aren't a lot of wide open spaces around here so what I consider consequential wind probably wouldn't be to people in other locales.

I'm glad you brought this up because I'm riding solo to Denver next month and then to Valley Forge from Denver. I'm sure I'll be in weather conditions that will be 100% new to me.

I can't think of any way to practice?? But I'm glad I have some awareness now.

Anyone out there have any tips or tricks to share? Greatly appreciated.

Then F6B is a heavy bike and handles cross winds well. The trick in windy conditions is to not tense up. Mantain a loose grip. All those miles in the saddle, you will be fine.

I like to ride near the center line of the road

But when you encounter a really stiff crosswind I have a tendency to keep to the side that the wind is blowing from and that just gives you a full lane to compensate for gusts that seem inevitable in such conditions. Just have to lean into it the appropriate amount to keep the bike in the lane. Crossing into another lane because of a wind gust is bad for your health. You will do OK Teach, your not a spring chicken on that bike you have enough miles behind you to reach your destinations in fine order.

It also has a lot to do with the traffic around you. On the interstate the wind is getting shifted in all sorts of directions by the cars and trucks around you as opposed to being in a smooth airflow. Same reason a bad windshield will actually cause your head to be buffeted around where as no windshield, while loud and annoying, is generally turbulence free.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    David,
    Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about it while I was out riding yesterday. I did some big road and mostly back roads.

There aren't a lot of wide open spaces around here so what I consider consequential wind probably wouldn't be to people in other locales.

I'm glad you brought this up because I'm riding solo to Denver next month and then to Valley Forge from Denver. I'm sure I'll be in weather conditions that will be 100% new to me.

I can't think of any way to practice?? But I'm glad I have some awareness now.

Anyone out there have any tips or tricks to share? Greatly appreciated.

Just lean into it! You'll be fine!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com