Am I out of line? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I out of line?

Soft paint...hard paint....ham handed.....kid gloves.....none of this has anything to do with anything. If they're selling you this bike as a new bike with zero to next-to-zero mileage...then regardless of model year, you are absolutely within your rights to demand a spotless finish (or at least as spotless as is customary for a bike fresh from the assembly line. The fact that they're taking a beating on the price in order to get it off the floor means nothing and don't let them tell you it does.)

Don't let them string you along on this. And DON'T SIGN ANYTHING. And, if you already have signed something...don't sign anything else. Not until AFTER they make good on this to your personal satisfaction. They do this every day....they KNOW you have the right to refuse it. Unless you have signed for delivery, they know you can walk at any moment. If they have sold your old bike...then they are on the hook to pay you what they sold it for. (minus a dealer fee, in some states.) Don't let them cow you into taking it if it doesn't suit you for any reason. (Btw...many states also have Buyers Remorse laws which will allow you to return for full refund any vehicle within a set number of days after delivery....regardless of reason. Damage not included...so watch yourself.)

Back in 1986, I purchased a new (black) Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (last Ford I will ever buy..but that's another story). The day I went to take delivery, the salesman met me at the front door as I walked in and whisked me off to the service bay and explained to me that there'd been an accident during the prep and now there was a scratch in the paint the full length of the right front fender. I never was able to get them to tell me what the hell had happened to my new car.

Anyway, they promised me that they would re-finish the fender and that it would be indistinguishable from new. I took their word for it and (whereas it was late in the year and I'd gotten a hell of a price on it...just like you did) I signed for delivery.

Well....they NEVER got the paint right. And they never got the finish right either. I took it back to them a half dozen times to do it over yet again. Finally, they got snotty with me and told me that they had done their best and were not even going to try anymore after this...and as I had legally taken delivery and had possessed it far longer than the State remorse law allowed for....they did not care whether I was happy about it or not. The car was mine and I was stuck with it....and don't come back asking to do it again. At which point they made an even worse attempt than any of the other tries had been and told me to get lost.

I have always regretted being so gullible as to buy their load of crap and accept the vehicle. I had that car from '86 until '01 and every day it reminded me of the bad decision I had made that day.

Don't let them snow you. You'll never forgive yourself. If they do ANYTHING but roll over and give you the world.....go talk to an attorney and have him go to the dealership with you. If he's a real shark...it'll probably cost you $500 or more for the guy to spend an afternoon with you. But....in the long run, it's cheap insurance and it'll send a message to the dealer that you're not going to be easily hoodwinked. And always be ready to call the whole thing off and demand your money if they just refuse to play ball.

best of luck! Let us know what happens.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

I would want the bike to be perfect . It is new.
    I have a black 2013 I tried liquid glass nice shine not small scratchs would show up.
    A few weeks ago I applied Glare Micro Finish. It took 4 of their waxes and so far it's holding up no scratchs and great shine. Watch the video?
    http://www.glare.com/products

Looks good but will have to go get a loan to buy!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Looks good but will have to go get a loan to buy!!!
    I have a 2009 Honda Shadow I bought new as a leftover in 2011.... the rain washes it and the black tank always looks perfect with a deep shine. The F6B is a continual cleaning project if you ride it and not just look at it. I would still buy one at the great prices available. I already had heard of the paint problems when I bought mine, knowing it would be repainted a few years down the road. Yes everybody wants their new bike to be and stay perfect, mine will be exactly what I want when I get done with it and it was bought at an affordable price to be able to do it. There is a reason there is a $2500 bonus Bucks program on some of the leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    I have a 2009 Honda Shadow I bought new as a leftover in 2011.... the rain washes it and the black tank always looks perfect with a deep shine. The F6B is a continual cleaning project if you ride it and not just look at it. I would still buy one at the great prices available. I already had heard of the paint problems when I bought mine, knowing it would be repainted a few years down the road. Yes everybody wants their new bike to be and stay perfect, mine will be exactly what I want when I get done with it and it was bought at an affordable price to be able to do it. There is a reason there is a $2500 bonus Bucks program on some of the leftovers.
    Not all F6B's are a cleaning project...Matte Silver. I hardly touch it except the bug detail.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I would want the bike to be perfect . It is new.
    I have a black 2013 I tried liquid glass nice shine not small scratchs would show up.
    A few weeks ago I applied Glare Micro Finish. It took 4 of their waxes and so far it's holding up no scratchs and great shine. Watch the video?
    http://www.glare.com/products

All of the Glare products needed on a regular basis to put a bandaid on the paint job will cost about 10% of a new paint job.
    PLUS your continual FREE labor.

shooter
    Don't take the bike if the scratches can't be repaired to your satisfaction. You are buying a NEW BIKE. That title had not been issued to another owner. Its NEW. Make them make it right. And the paint on my 13 isn't bad. Some say it is and some say it isn't. Welcome.

Some very solid advice here. I will stick to my gut instinct and hold my ground on this. I will call the manager when they open.

shooter
    And Mike coming from over 45 years of body and paint experience if you can feel that scratch the only way to repair it is to paint it. Glare or nothing else is gonna help it.

There have been several bits of info from various forums where Honda has replaced one or two pieces on the bikes. Such as a trunk lid or other specific part. Getting another piece of the same product is still a time capsule for scrathes on the same type of paint. If you want the bike to look great 10 years down the road.... Re-paint is the only long term solution. I use my bike for many things such as long trips. I go to the NC mountains from FL often and took a 7500 mile trip from FL to CO & Ut last summer on the road for 5 weeks. This paint job will not hold up to that. My 2009 Honda Shadow black will.
    Attached Images Attached Images