Oil Leak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak

Oil Leak

After a 70 mile ride today I noticed oil spots on the left side plastic cover just behind the foot peg. Ran my hand under the left valve cover and had oil all over my finger. I just took delivery Yesterday. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone else had this issue. Just a little disappointed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Penguin - that's absolutely no fun! Especially since I encouraged you to go riding today!

Hopefully it's merely a gasket that didn't set right.
    Please let us know how the dealer makes good on it!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Mine 2015 did the same thing. I spoke to a dealer and they said it will most likely stop, but I could bring it in if I wanted to. I wiped it down and checked it after each ride. Sure enough it stopped after a couple 100 mile rides. No leaks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    Mine 2015 did the same thing. I spoke to a dealer and they said it will most likely stop, but I could bring it in if I wanted to. I wiped it down and checked it after each ride. Sure enough it stopped after a couple 100 mile rides. No leaks now.
    Never heard of a oil leak just stopping but I guess anything is possible. I will see what the dealer says today. I'm not a believer yet but I hope your right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Penguin - that's absolutely no fun! Especially since I encouraged you to go riding today!

Hopefully it's merely a gasket that didn't set right.
    Please let us know how the dealer makes good on it!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    No worries Steve, Its always a good thing when someone encourages you to go for a putt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    After a 70 mile ride today I noticed oil spots on the left side plastic cover just behind the foot peg. Ran my hand under the left valve cover and had oil all over my finger. I just took delivery Yesterday. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone else had this issue. Just a little disappointed.
    Actually it may not be oil at all. When I took delivery of my Valkyrie back in '98, the dealer explained to me that I might see some drippings after a ride for a couple of days. He said that Honda uses a coating such as "cosmolene" when crating the bikes. Sometimes when prepping the bike, a dealer may miss getting 100% of it off and when the engine gets hot it will drip off. Mine never had the runs, but my dealer knew it might happen and prepared me just in case. Could be the same situation with your "6".

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Actually it may not be oil at all. When I took delivery of my Valkyrie back in '98, the dealer explained to me that I might see some drippings after a ride for a couple of days. He said that Honda uses a coating such as "cosmolene" when crating the bikes. Sometimes when prepping the bike, a dealer may miss getting 100% of it off and when the engine gets hot it will drip off. Mine never had the runs, but my dealer knew it might happen and prepared me just in case. Could be the same situation with your "6".
    Triumph does the same thing with the Rocket III. Never seen it on my F6B though.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    You might have hit the nail on the head. Brewdog had mentioned that the leak might stop and your theory lays claim to he might be right. And low and behold, I went on a 100 mile test ride to see if any of this madness makes sense. Brewdog and six2go you guys should be psychics. After cleaning the affected areas the leak did not reappear. I'm a happy guy cause oil leaks could make a grown man cry. Thanks guys for your insight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    You might have hit the nail on the head. Brewdog had mentioned that the leak might stop and your theory lays claim to he might be right. And low and behold, I went on a 100 mile test ride to see if any of this madness makes sense. Brewdog and six2go you guys should be psychics. After cleaning the affected areas the leak did not reappear. I'm a happy guy cause oil leaks could make a grown man cry. Thanks guys for your insight.
    Glad to help.

Don't know for sure about the newer Honda bikes,but years ago I worked in a dealership, between jobs, and I was the un-lucky guy who got the job of cleaning and prepping new bikes for delivery. Most Honda bikes, including Goldwings and Valkyries were coated with this "cosmolene" stuff to prevent rust and other issues from damaging the bikes during shipment in crates..Fairly easy to wipe off and only on occasions, would extra build up under the motor or undercarriage which usually went away after a short ride or two...I doubt it is a problem as oil leaks on the flat-six motor are rare...Ride safe