Oil Leak - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Leak

Well unfortunately...... I do have an oil leak coming from the left side. Doesn't leak enough to see oil on the ground but see it on my left boot after a ride. Been to 2 dealers (first one kept my bike for 6 weeks and did nothing). Head cover gasket was changed and that didn't fix it. Head cover and head cover gasket was changed with all bolts and seals, oil leak went away for about 1000 miles and now its back...... So incredibly frustrated its hard to even talk about it........

Going back to the dealer this week, possibly tomorrow. The closest credible dealer is 40 miles away so its a PITA to get it there and back when they have to keep it. I think the head might be warped and the lead mechanic and the district service rep assigned to my problem from corporate also thinks that might be a possibility. At this point, my bike has been in the shop just about the same amount of time I've had it to ride. Put about 3K miles on it and only had it 4 months but it would definitely be more if 2 of the 4 months it wasn't stuck at a dealer.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post
    Well unfortunately...... I do have an oil leak coming from the left side. Doesn't leak enough to see oil on the ground but see it on my left boot after a ride. Been to 2 dealers (first one kept my bike for 6 weeks and did nothing). Head cover gasket was changed and that didn't fix it. Head cover and head cover gasket was changed with all bolts and seals, oil leak went away for about 1000 miles and now its back...... So incredibly frustrated its hard to even talk about it........

Going back to the dealer this week, possibly tomorrow. The closest credible dealer is 40 miles away so its a PITA to get it there and back when they have to keep it. I think the head might be warped and the lead mechanic and the district service rep assigned to my problem from corporate also thinks that might be a possibility. At this point, my bike has been in the shop just about the same amount of time I've had it to ride. Put about 3K miles on it and only had it 4 months but it would definitely be more if 2 of the 4 months it wasn't stuck at a dealer.

Grant
    Have a friend that had the same situation but it was coolant. Factory had not properly installed a clamp. Point is things do happen, I truly hope they get you taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by blueverclear View Post

Grant
    Hey Grant, as I stated earlier oil leaks could be extremely difficult to pin point. Been there done that. Ask the dealer if they tried putting some leak detector in the oil. Its a small ounce bottle of liquid than shows up fluorescent green when shined on with a blue light. If there is just a trace of oil anywhere on the bike it will be illuminated. Its a very good tool in locating oil leaking. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B