Which Break In Method For You?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Break In Method For You?

Which Break In Method For You?

We all know the manufacturer's recommended procedure. 600 miles, no constant speed, go up and down through the gears, etc.
    And then there are those that insist that method encourages improperly bedded rings with premature compression and blowby issues to appear later on down the road.
    And those folks are the ones that usually tout the 'dyno break-in' or something similar.
    1. Get the engine up to operating temp
    2. Run it up through the gears up to 60 per and back down again.
    3. Let it idle for a minute to stabilize temps
    4. Shutdown and let cool completely
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 twice more. Heat and cool cycling is key.
    6. Start, let oil press. stabilize
    7. Run hard up through gears to redline as fast as you can shift.
    8. Steps 3-4.
    Anything internal that had improper clearances or torquing will have reared its head at this point and rings and valves will be firmly bedded in their sleeves and seats. Engines broken in with this technique typically will make more power and less blowby/leakdown.
    Lets Go Racing!!
    I bought an '87 5.0 H.O. Mustang LX from Cal Worthington when they first came out. It was a demo model that had been flogged repeatedly on test drives by different drivers. To say it had a hard 'cycling' break-in would be an understatement. That car in stock form would do 150mph, and would pull away from buddies five-o's that were stock as well. I put 125,000 HARD miles on that car, a lot of it a 1/4 mile at a time, ran a full syn oil from break-in. Changed every 3k with a double filter change.
    The conn rod bolts finally stretched from being banged against the limiter 10 zillion times, the only weak link in this motor. We tore that motor apart and found ZERO wear, everything a nice golden hue, no carbon.
    Im not saying Im breaking in MY B this way......

Ride it like you stole it!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Im sure there are a million opinions. I just ride it like I normally ride. Don't lug it and don't baby it.

The dealer told me to keep it under 60 for the first 100 miles. I live 6 miles from the dealer so I took a long cut home. Took it on 80 miles of back road and then cut over to the freeway. Hit 80 by the end of the on ramp. Held it at 100 until for a mile until I saw the cop running radar at the next ramp. Decelerate as well as it accelerates. Apparently I had the stealth function on he never batted an eye
    Unfourtunaly I wasn't wearing my depends. I might have pissed myself a little bit.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

I didn't do anything special besides take it easy for a bit. After a couple hundred miles, I started to ride like I always do. My friend with an Indian had an elaborate procedure similar to the write up. Don't go over 60, go up and down the gears and don't stay at a steady speed....then take it in for a 500 mile oil change. After that, he could let it rip. None of that nonsense here!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
    We all know the manufacturer's recommended procedure. 600 miles, no constant speed, go up and down through the gears, etc.
    Thats pretty much what my dealer recommended and I did that on both of my new Wings. I am guessing you would really have to abuse them to make a significant negative impact on them. I do 1000 mile oil changes on my new stuff just in case there is some left over casting sand, etc. The dealer was quite adamant that I not switch to full synthetic until 4000 miles in order that everything can wear in properly.
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

I bought mine from a dealer in Maryland---so my "break in" was 350 miles of I-95. You don't have to be a math professor to figure out what I did (and that was just to stay alive to get home)
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Of all the new Goldwings and new owners everyone's broken in differently and they all seen to last forever. But I also listen to what my dearer told me.
    Just ride and smile.🏍🏍🤓😍🤗😎

Break in period, Whats That

I will tell you, the break in period is 5 second in first gear and after that you ride it like you stole it and the cops are chasing you. I have done the break in on every motorcycle I have owned in that fashion and not one has failed or start burning oil. You do what you like but if its going to break it will do it immediately not after the warranty runs out. Never had a problem and this is the 8th motorcycle I have owned.

This is my opinion only

The dealer is out to make money. The manufacturer doesn't want warranty issues. I'll listen to the manufacturer.

I did my first oil change at 2,900 miles, ahead of manufacturer interval, and I'll do my changes around 7,000, ahead of the interval. All documented. Any problems from that and the manufacturer has an issue.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.